Can't decide...One day in Florence or...?

scher

Hi,

We will have one full day in Florence and I am not sure if we should do the whole entire day there, or......Half day in Florence and a half day Tuscany Vineyard tour? Would love thoughts and opinions on this.

We will be traveling that evening by train to Pisa and have our luggage at the train terminal for the day until leaving for pisa.

Florence has more than enough to keep you busy for the entire day. Spend time around the Duomo and its associated area. Absolutely see the David even if you do not see anything else at the Academia. Visit the Uffizi and then just wander among the streets while you grab a gelato. This is truly a wonderful city to visit and really even a whole day is not close to enough time for it.

Florence has more than enough to keep you busy for the entire day. Spend time around the Duomo and its associated area. Absolutely see the David even if you do not see anything else at the Academia. Visit the Uffizi and then just wander among the streets while you grab a gelato. This is truly a wonderful city to visit and really even a whole day is not close to enough time for it.

Spend the day in Florence. Aren't you arriving by train in the a.m. also? I really think it's too much of a whirlwind to try to add a vineyard tour.

Yes we are arriving by train in the morning. I was trying to do it all but everyone has been telling me to forgo the Tuscany Vineyard. It has always been a excursion on my radar since wanting to go to Italy, but because of our limited time I am seeing it might not be the most resonable stop to make. So this is why I am asking this question on here.

Hi,

We will have one full day in Florence and I am not sure if we should do the whole entire day there, or......Half day in Florence and a half day Tuscany Vineyard tour? Would love thoughts and opinions on this.

We will be traveling that evening by train to Pisa and have our luggage at the train terminal for the day until leaving for pisa.

If you think you'll likely not *ever* be back to Italy again then *maybe* both but keep this in mind "if you've seen everything, you've seen nothing" (Susan Sontag, I believe) and it's quite true, although I understand very much the urge to try...it's tough not to want to do it, the allure is there.

Had I not been to Florence, and as others have recommended already, I'd never have believed it but it is truly a magnificent place and in a way unlike Rome or Venice or any other city in Italy - it has it's own unique beauty and mystique that I'm sure you will discover when you are there. Take the time to discover as much of this gem as you are able to while in port - you'll be so glad that you did, you'll be enchanted. Enjoy :)

I've done vineyard tours in six different regions of Italy (so far!) The scenery is always pretty, the wine is always good, and the food is usually pretty good too. The tour of the facilities is interesting, but not essential to enjoying the wine.

But if you have a whole day in Florence, you can take an hour or two out of that day and have lunch or dinner in a good enoteca that pairs wine and food. You will get everything but the scenery and the tour of the vats and barrels, and have a nice break from the museums and galleries. Plus you can taste wines from several different vineyards and hear opinions on why one is better than another.

Edited by lisiamc

Sounds like I'm going to skip tuscany vineyard. I am all about the food but I can miss the view

What kind of food should I look for in Florence? I was thinking carbonara? Pasta?

Anyone ever used the left luggage in Florence? Makes me nervous but I don't have to much of an option.

We've used the left luggage at the train station twice - once leaving our cruise luggage for 5 days. Efficient service, bags returned in good order - no issues whatsoever.

One more vote for spending the day only in Florence.

Keep in mind that if while in Florence, you want to visit the Uffizi Gallery (highly recommended) or the Academia (to see David), you may want to buy/reserve your tickets in advance, so you can skip the lines to enter, and avoid the risk of not being able to get admission entirely.

Keep in mind that if while in Florence, you want to visit the Uffizi Gallery (highly recommended) or the Academia (to see David), you may want to buy/reserve your tickets in advance, so you can skip the lines to enter, and avoid the risk of not being able to get admission entirely.

Yes the Uffizi is extremely zoo like, a complete mad house outside. Reservations are a must.

Sounds like I'm going to skip tuscany vineyard. I am all about the food but I can miss the view

What kind of food should I look for in Florence? I was thinking carbonara? Pasta?

I'd leave the carbonara for Rome, I think. My favourite foods to recommend in Florence are:

Bistecca alla Fiorentina. A huge T-bone steak, cut so thick it's cooked on its side in front of the open fire. Try it as rare (sangue) as you can manage. Normally served with a bit of olive oil on top.

Ribollita. Literally "twice boiled", a soup with vegetables and leftover bread. It's an autumn/winter dish, so if you're there in the summer, try

Panzanella. A salad made with leftover bread, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. Delicious.

Pasta with cinghiale. Cinghiale is wild boar, and the sauce is slow-cooked and rich. The pasta is normally tagliatelle or pappardelle.

After dessert, it's also nice to try some cantucci and vin santo. Cantucci are little crisp biscuits, and you dunk them in vin santo, a sweet wine.

And when you're trying gelato, it's worth trying both the old style and the new. For traditional, I like Perchè No?, and for new, I like Grum. Perchè No? has the traditional displays of beautiful swirly gelato, and Grum looks very industrial, with the gelato kept in high-tech containers out of sight. Both are yummy, but very different.

Buon appetito!

Great info! !! We will be leaving for the day but will need it on our 10 day cruse the next day.... if something happens to it we are up the creek without a paddle. ..if you catch my drift

Great info! I will get my tickets before hand

We've used the left luggage at the train station twice - once leaving our cruise luggage for 5 days. Efficient service, bags returned in good order - no issues whatsoever.

Great info! !! We will be leaving for the day but will need it on our 10 day cruse the next day.... if something happens to it we are up the creek without a paddle. ..if you catch my drift

I'd leave the carbonara for Rome, I think. My favourite foods to recommend in Florence are:

Bistecca alla Fiorentina. A huge T-bone steak, cut so thick it's cooked on its side in front of the open fire. Try it as rare (sangue) as you can manage. Normally served with a bit of olive oil on top.

Ribollita. Literally "twice boiled", a soup with vegetables and leftover bread. It's an autumn/winter dish, so if you're there in the summer, try

Panzanella. A salad made with leftover bread, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. Delicious.

Pasta with cinghiale. Cinghiale is wild boar, and the sauce is slow-cooked and rich. The pasta is normally tagliatelle or pappardelle.

After dessert, it's also nice to try some cantucci and vin santo. Cantucci are little crisp biscuits, and you dunk them in vin santo, a sweet wine.

And when you're trying gelato, it's worth trying both the old style and the new. For traditional, I like Perchè No?, and for new, I like Grum. Perchè No? has the traditional displays of beautiful swirly gelato, and Grum looks very industrial, with the gelato kept in high-tech containers out of sight. Both are yummy, but very different.

Buon appetito!

Omg thanks so much for the food recommendations!!! I am such a foodie. Any more food info would be amazing

I LOVE ribollita!!! I even make it at home. Same with Panzanella. One of my summer go-to things to make.

I saw Grom on the list for gelato. in Florence, I'll recommend Gelateria La Carraia (across the bridge by the Westin/St. Regis and down a block). My favorite and it's pricing is less than the ones on the "tourist" side of the Arno. Carapina is another one - it does have a smaller selection.

For a lunch or dinner, try Sostanza in Florence. You MUST have a reservation for dinner but you can try a walk-in at lunch. I've heard they have good bisteca (I don't do red meat), but their pollo al burro (butter chicken) is amazing, as is the tortino di carciofi (artichoke omlette). A tiny place, not fancy, but excellent food. And, if anyplace has ciccoria (chicory) as a contorno, try it!!!

How early can reservations be made? Can I make for September now?

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to travel from Rome (will be there for 3-5 days pre cruise) for the day and visit Florence for a daytrip? What's the best way to "maximize" the day there? Thanks.

Edited by DENNAS