How many cabins sold?

emmak8

Is there an easier way to find how sold a particular cruise is?

On the Princess website I did a phantom booking then tried to book each category on the various decks. There are so many available cabins for an August 2016 cruise!

The roll call has very few members and posts. It caused me to wonder about the sailing. Why no interest?

Agree. There is no way to determine how full a ship is, as you can't see how many GTY bookings there are. People try this very regularly, but are always unsuccessful. All you know is either there are some cabins available, or there aren't any.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree. There is no way to determine how full a ship is, as you can't see how many GTY bookings there are. People try this very regularly, but are always unsuccessful. All you know is either there are some cabins available, or there aren't any.

Although you do not know how many gtys need to be filled, you can tell how many cabins are listed as available and thus can still be purchased.

The roll call has very few members and posts. It caused me to wonder about the sailing. Why no interest?

Not all booked passengers are interested, or aware, of the CC roll call. Others use the Princess roll call.

The other considerations that make it difficult to know what truly is open are that sometimes a particular voyage might be also packaged as a BTB configuration or it might be an itinerary that has multiple embarkation/disembarkation ports which means they have to hold out some cabins for those bookings. (sorry for the long sentence)

Although you do not know how many gtys need to be filled, you can tell how many cabins are listed as available and thus can still be purchased.

That is true, sort of. Imagine one level of cabin shows 5 available. You book the cabin you desire. Once you book the cabin, all cabins in that category now show booked, as they have 4 GTYs that have not been assigned, but now will fill the remaining cabins that were available.

People are always trying to determine their upgrade chances, and where they might get upgraded to. Due to the unknown number of GTYs, you are really guessing trying to figure out what upgrades are available.

Is there an easier way to find how sold a particular cruise is?

On the Princess website I did a phantom booking then tried to book each category on the various decks. There are so many available cabins for an August 2016 cruise!

Hi

What particular cruise are you referring to? Could be a number of reasons I. e ports of call, embarkation port?

What Princess roll call? Where is this found?

Sorry I can't find anymore the Princess Roll Call on its Facebook page.

I was using it on FB before I switched to CC in 2013.

This is the link and info that I used before:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2011/07/Princess-Cruises-Passengers-Can-Connect-with-Fellow-Travelers-with-New-Princess-Roll-Call.html#.VwbJUnpusci

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2011/07/Princess-Cruises-Passengers-Can-Connect-with-Fellow-Travelers-with-New-Princess-Roll-Call.html#.VwbJUnpusci

Oh, Facebook. Never mind. I don't do freaking Facebook. :p

Princess stopped their roll calls 2 or more years ago. Apparently some type of Facebook security issue..... or so they claimed.

The other considerations that make it difficult to know what truly is open are that sometimes a particular voyage might be also packaged as a BTB configuration or it might be an itinerary that has multiple embarkation/disembarkation ports which means they have to hold out some cabins for those bookings. (sorry for the long sentence)

I am booked on a cruise that can be booked four different ways.

By going to each way, I can find which cabins are available for that method of booking and can add up the numbers for all four ways to determine how many cabins are still listed as available.

That is true, sort of. Imagine one level of cabin shows 5 available. You book the cabin you desire. Once you book the cabin, all cabins in that category now show booked, as they have 4 GTYs that have not been assigned, but now will fill the remaining cabins that were available.

People are always trying to determine their upgrade chances, and where they might get upgraded to. Due to the unknown number of GTYs, you are really guessing trying to figure out what upgrades are available.

I have not seen that.

What I do see (and I am carefully tracking the numbers for a cruise I am on that can be booked four ways) is that each week the list of open cabins increases or decreases by a few with some listing only one or two available. Of course some categories are listed as sold out and others are GTY only.

Meanwhile, with very few cabins still showing available, a number of those on a very large roll call still do not have their GTYs assigned.

Those who have reported that GTYs have been assigned have so far said they have received the same type cabin (balcony for example), some in the exact category booked, some in a higher category for that type cabin.

No one has reported a free upgrade to the next type cabin (such as balcony to min-suite). This is not to say it has not happened, but nobody has posted that it did.

Some have reported upsells that they did accept.

Princess stopped their roll calls 2 or more years ago. Apparently some type of Facebook security issue..... or so they claimed.

On Cruise Critic you can remain anonymous if you wish.

On FB you need to use your real identity.

Nothing like posting your home will be empty with the exact dates.

Perfect explanation!:D

Unfortunately even some experienced cruisers don't understand this. :confused:

It matters if the OP is thinking of canceling the booking and waiting until after the final payment date in hopes of getting a better fare.

Which is probably why Princess and other lines don't make true cabin availability public.

Edited by paul929207

I saw the roll call section on the Princess FB area before our 2010-11 cruise and noticed that anyone could access any of the roll calls (and thus know when posters are saying they'll be away from home). I did send Princess a message suggesting that I wasn't about to use this feature for that very reason. I wasn't surprised a couple of years later, before my next cruise, to see the roll calls gone.

There are "closed" and "secret" FB groups that you have to request to join...but even then it's up to administrators to decide whether or not to vet requests. Some just go ahead and admit everyone....and only kicks off someone who starts spamming with ads or acts nasty toward others.

As for basing whether a sailing is full or close to it, I certainly wouldn't go by the roll calls on CC. There's still many cruisers who haven't heard of this site, don't have an interest in joining, or don't want to join the roll calls.