Internet Packages Withdrawn?

arsenalboy

We are sailing Reflection 25th April out of Rome.

I will be taking IPAD and wanted to pre purchase minutes. I checked a few weeks ago and there were a number of packages available to purchase online i.e., daily packages, cruise duration packages or set number of minutes packages.

I was going to purchase 90 mins at circa 40UK£.

I went online this morning and logged into my cruise but the only package available was unlimited at 210UK£!!! Wow!!

As I don't want to pay that I rang UK Celebrity and asked to purchase, but they could only offer that 210UK£ package. I asked what had happened to the other packages and they said they had been sold out.

How can you sell out of internet? Which makes me think they have withdrawn to force you into the higher value packages.

I know that you can buy these things on-board but the reason for doing it online is to have it pre-set in the stateroom.

Anybody facing the same problem?

EU roaming is now cheaper. Tether from your phone - we did this last year and only cost 15 euro. The nature of that cruise if that you will have access quite a lot of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

The older packages are not "sold out" but they are not available any more. With the new high speed internet they are re-pricing the whole deal, and yes, as of now, there is only either the unlimited or a one-day package for sale. But this is a moving target and it could change again.

The Internet is not "preset in the stateroom". You log on with your device and purchase a package, or go to the ILounge and log on there to make the purchase. Wifi is available all over the ship, a,though the signal may be stronger in some places than others.

EU roaming is now cheaper. Tether from your phone - we did this last year and only cost 15 euro. The nature of that cruise if that you will have access quite a lot of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

That was my original option but I am with O2 and T&C state you cannot tether outside UK.

The older packages are not "sold out" but they are not available any more. With the new high speed internet they are re-pricing the whole deal, and yes, as of now, there is only either the unlimited or a one-day package for sale. But this is a moving target and it could change again.

Presumably though there must still be the option of buying by the minute based on usage?

I hope I will not be held to ransom i.e., "you want to use the internet on two separate days sir, that will be £204 sir" I thought Xcelerate was referring to the speed not the cost!

I am on the Eclipse, with the new high speed internet installed. With this change, many earlier pricing plans have disappeared. There is no per-minute plan currently available here.

thanks for the information, so what are they offering cost wise?

My Baltic cruise in 3 weeks shows $299 unlimited only! Heck, I wanted to just log in and pay by the minute at the iLounge the day before our cruise ends and, check in for our flight and print off our boarding pass... Looks like I'll just do that at the airport.

Take it the free internet minutes for D and D+ are still applicable with this new system?

Yes, it has been reported by several people on board that you can get the free minutes or a discount on the unlimited package.

I like the comment. On board is likely to be very different. If your phone connects to Wifi - we have several apps to do this in the US and Australia - then you can call using Wifi and not your carrier. For example I can call friends on Talkatone that have the app for free or any number in the North America for .01 per minute, only need a good Wifi signal and can get that in almost every port.

I think you mean Elite and Elite Plus and yes, the free minutes are still in place or you qualify for a discount on the package. But remember this is a moving target.....I suspect you will find that the unlimited price is now lower than before.

Yes, sorry, I'd just been on the Royal board :o - it must be an age thing :D!

I was on the Reflection a few weeks ago, and yes, the Internet pricing has changed with the new service.

Unlimited internet was about $20/day for an "always on" connection. The reality is that it did disconnect a couple of times a day, but was definitely faster than before. You could use multiple devices, but only one at a time.

There was an option for one day of service (a continuous 24 hour period). Don't remember the cost for that.

You could also use the service for $0.99/minute.

I ended up doing the unlimited, as I had friends on board who wanted to be able to get in touch with each other to find out where anyone was at a given point (we used Facebook Messenger). As a Select Captain's Club member, I got 25% off any package, which ended up costing around $100. If I recall correctly, that's about what I had paid before for a good sized package of minutes.

okay have spoken with Celebrity again and they confirm what has been mentioned on this thread i.e., you can only purchase 2 packages, unlimited daily or unlimited for the cruise duration. You cannot purchase a set number of minutes or purchase by the minute.

They also said that people who have already purchased internet packages under the old scheme will be emailed, have the package cancelled and money refunded. This seems harsh?

This is Celebrity UK so not sure on rules for elsewhere. It might also vary by ship, this info relates to Reflection.

What a rip!! Who of us really needs unlimited internet? Just another Celebrity practice that forgets the customer in pursuit of profits. I will be doing my communicating in port and instead of their getting maybe $100 bucks from me they will get nada!! Hope most everyone else follows suit.

But wait, there are those who can not bear the thought of not having the ability to communicate the most inane things and live with their phones in their hands. Can not imagine doing this on vacation.

Hope the pricing scheme backfires on them. On my upcoming cruise of 10 days the internet package on the site is pricing at $299.00.

I think you mean Elite and Elite Plus and yes, the free minutes are still in place or you qualify for a discount on the package. But remember this is a moving target.....I suspect you will find that the unlimited price is now lower than before.

Cruisestitch - Can you confirm that for Elite the unlimited would be $140 ($199 - 30%) for the first passenger in the cabin and $100 for the second (1/2 off).

What a rip!! Who of us really needs unlimited internet? Just another Celebrity practice that forgets the customer in pursuit of profits. I will be doing my communicating in port and instead of their getting maybe $100 bucks from me they will get nada!! Hope most everyone else follows suit.

But wait, there are those who can not bear the thought of not having the ability to communicate the most inane things and live with their phones in their hands. Can not imagine doing this on vacation.

Hope the pricing scheme backfires on them. On my upcoming cruise of 10 days the internet package on the site is pricing at $299.00.

Frankly my time in port is too valuable to be running down which bar/restaurant has free wifi and spending time there. I'd much rather take care of the communication/business I need to on sea days, early in the morning or late at night while on ship.

I don't really want to see half the ship running around with their phones in their hands texting and not really spending their time enjoying the ship and cruise though. I do see this already happening and am afraid with the package for 2, faster internet etc, more younger people on board, it will become more prevalent.

But to each their own.

Frankly my time in port is too valuable to be running down which bar/restaurant has free wifi and spending time there. I'd much rather take care of the communication/business I need to on sea days, early in the morning or late at night while on ship.

I don't really want to see half the ship running around with their phones in their hands texting and not really spending their time enjoying the ship and cruise though. I do see this already happening and am afraid with the package for 2, faster internet etc, more younger people on board, it will become more prevalent.

But to each their own.

I agree with you.

I know I'm a dinosaur but I find it so disturbing to be in a restaurant and see whole tables of people looking down at their phones and not communicating with each other at all and am afraid that's what's coming for cruises.

Also not ready to have to listen to other's phone conversations while I'm layng on my deck chair (or on my balcony) trying to relax.

Sorry for the rant! :o

We've usually just bought the 90 minute package and managed. However we were on Anthem last year and bought the unlimited fast service for the whole cruise and loved it. Not so much the ability to stream or Skype/FaceTime but not having to worry about the cost. It also changed how we spent the day. No more kindles by the pool on sea days rather using the iPad to fully research the upcoming ports, check the weather, upload our photos, read the paper plus the usual work emails (aargh) etc.

We are on Eclipse next month. I don't think their upgraded internet is as good as Anthem but we will be getting the unlimited option at just over £200 and it's nice to read on this read that we will still get our 25% Select discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork