Princess Transfers

tawill

We rarely use cruise line transfers. Usually can be done cheaper on your own, and usually more conveniently.

Some research on the West Coast Departures board would show towncars and taxis from the airport (can't recommend flying in the day of sailing...) cost about $50 (for the vehicle, not per person) to Pier 91. There are some cheaper methods, like a discount taxi service and public transit mentioned over there. The vehicle goes when you are ready, not when the bus fills up.

Shuttle Express worked well for us. Check in at their desk in the SeaTac parking lot and they load up vans and call you when ready (noisy area, so listen up). Usually do a couple of drops in town before they hit Pier 91.

We've had mixed luck with transfers from hotels. Usually they are leaving long after we want to head to the ship, so we have had them take our bags and then gone on our own. They seem to work quite well from airports, though. Check in with agent carrying sign in baggage area, collect luggage and get on bus.

We have always been lucky with Princess transfers so far (don't want to jinx myself using them in May). We always use them outside the US. Have also liked them when we cruise out of LA. But remember they wait if expecting several others until their planes arrive we have waited a few times and being the trusting soul I am thought they were holding us back once so we arrived later at the port. But also have had them meet us with a taxi voucher when we arrived earlier or the day prior they took us to the hotel then to the port the next day. Never looked at a taxi when sailed from Seattle but always use taxi's to port in Florida for all cruises.

We always use Princess transfers. Convenient, reliable, book it with a click on computer, price is reasonable. They meet you at the airport. Sometimes there is a short wait for other passengers to arrive. Gives me time to use the ladies' room before boarding a bus for the ride to ship. :)

What has been your experiences with Princess transfers? Should we use or just arrange other transportation to port in Seattle?

We have used PCL Transfers twice at Seattle. 1st time flew in day of cruise and while it was hectic it worked perfectly. Also use it when we returned and we were pleased.

On our 2nd time, we booked a room & transfer thru PCL and this was really relaxing. It removed all issues. So I would say "Try it you'll like it!"

As for alternative transportation, we have use this at other locations with mixed results.

Just Mike

Our most unusual Princess transfer occurred in 2014. We were heading out on the Caribbean Princess from Houston Texas to the Western Caribbean. Since we have used Princess transfers in the past we know that we will be riding a bus.

With one eye on the Fog reports we flew in a day early. Through Princess we had reserved both a Hotel in Houston and transfers from the airport to the Hotel and then from the Hotel to the ship.

When we arrived at George Bush Airport we located the Princess Rep who was holding up a sign.

She stated wait here I will go get your driver???? A few minutes later the Princess rep came back with a man dressed in a suit. Hmm, don't remember ever seeing a bus driver wearing a suit.

We are introduced to George who said follow me. He led us out of the terminal to a parking garage and up to a Lincoln Town Car Limmo. He then drove us to the Four Season Hotel in Houston.

The next morning we met other ship passengers in the Lobby and boarded a bus that took us to the ship.

I asked the wife if she had ordered the Limmo and she said no, it was a surprise for her also. And, we did not receive any extra charges for transportation from Princess.

Bob

Our most unusual Princess transfer occurred in 2014. We were heading out on the Caribbean Princess from Houston Texas to the Western Caribbean. Since we have used Princess transfers in the past we know that we will be riding a bus.

With one eye on the Fog reports we flew in a day early. Through Princess we had reserved both a Hotel in Houston and transfers from the airport to the Hotel and then from the Hotel to the ship.

When we arrived at George Bush Airport we located the Princess Rep who was holding up a sign.

She stated wait here I will go get your driver???? A few minutes later the Princess rep came back with a man dressed in a suit. Hmm, don't remember ever seeing a bus driver wearing a suit.

We are introduced to George who said follow me. He led us out of the terminal to a parking garage and up to a Lincoln Town Car Limmo. He then drove us to the Four Season Hotel in Houston.

The next morning we met other ship passengers in the Lobby and boarded a bus that took us to the ship.

I asked the wife if she had ordered the Limmo and she said no, it was a surprise for her also. And, we did not receive any extra charges for transportation from Princess.

Bob

When we had the hotel package in San Fran they put us in a taxi same as in Vancover to our hotel. A limo is a nice ride :).

Our use of Princess transfers depends upon which port we are sailing from. If you are flying into SeaTac that morning or the day before and staying near the airport, then I think the Princess transfer to the pier makes a lot of sense.

We like not having to worry about our checked luggage after checking it in with the reps before we board the coach for the transfer until it arrives in our stateroom. And since they are right there at the baggage claim in SeaTac it means practically no issues with out checked bags. Easier on my DH (and me) as we get a bit older, and I still pack like a "princess".:o

I think they're a safe bet.

Sometimes they're a hassle because you have to wait for a bus to fill up, and sometimes they cost more than private transport, but in general I appreciate the convenience and low risk. We often arrange our own transport to the ship, since we spend one night ahead of time, and then we use the cruise lines transfers on disembarkation day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What has been your experiences with Princess transfers? Should we use or just arrange other transportation to port in Seattle?

I always use Princess transfers when flying in on day of cruise. Have always been convenient.

I often use Princess' transfers from the ship to the airport - with all passengers disembarking in a small time window there can be a long taxi queue.

However, I prefer a taxi from the airport - rarely is there a long queue and after a long journey it's great to be able to get in and set off straight away without waiting.

I'll never do a Princess transfer ever again. I've written about my experience several times on CC on the same subject. We are cruising out of Seattle as well and have booked with Shuttle Express. It's $44 for 2 people. Pay the gratuity directly to the driver. You can book it on line, it's very easy. Just google Shuttle Express. We have used them in the past and are happy with them. If you decide to do a Princess transfer, be prepared to pay a lot more.

Edited by elliair

It definitely depends on the port. I'd never use them for Port Everglades since the airport is so close. When we've taken ta's that end in NYC we always take the transfer to EWR since it's a long distance from Brooklyn. We also took a transfer to the port in Copenhagen because our hotel had a free shuttle to the airport. As a previous poster noted, it's great to have Princess take the luggage at the airport not have to deal with it again.

Tag on question -

How do you tip the porters if you don't see your bag after you leave the airport? I thought tipping the porters was a requirement so that your bag makes it safety to the ship.

We are using Princess transfers for the first time in a little over a week.

DH & I have used it twice. Once in LA and once in San Francisco. Both time arriving early morning of embarkation day.

Both times we were met with a friendly smile and guidance. We are using them again on our next cruise out of LA to Hawaii. We are arriving @ 7:30 am in LA airport. We will most likely be shuffled off to the Sheraton for coffee, donuts and fill out paperwork. I'm good with that :D

We fill comfortable using the Princess transfer.

Tag on question -

How do you tip the porters if you don't see your bag after you leave the airport? I thought tipping the porters was a requirement so that your bag makes it safety to the ship.

We are using Princess transfers for the first time in a little over a week.

Good question! We don't as we do not see our luggage from the moment we step on the bus. However you can tip the bus driver as you exit.

We have occasionally used Princess transfers but usually find that we can arrange other transport for a lot less money. That said, I just did the research this week for our September cruise out of Seattle and found that Shuttle Express ($22pp) was only a savings of $2 per person over the Princess shuttle. There is a train that drops you in downtown Seattle but the walk to the train (with luggage) is approx. 10 minutes and then you need to take a taxi from downtown Seattle to the port. For a $20-$25 savings (for two people) it didn't seem worth the hassle. So we booked the Princess transfer for two with the click of a mouse ($48). We don't anticipate any problems as we have not experienced any problems with them in the past.

For cruises that leave out of Seattle, we fly in the day before and stay at a hotel near the airport that has a free airport shuttle and is on the list for the Seattle Express Transportation Service. The transportation service picks us up from the hotel and drives us to the ship. $15pp.;)