$71 for a case of water???

taffy12

Very simple solutions, if one doesn't want to pay what NCL charges for water. You can either bring your own bottled water on (something Carnival won't allow their passengers to do) or you can bring a reusable drinking container and fill it up at the buffet or ask for water at any one of the many bars onboard the ships.

Edited by NLH Arizona

What is ridiculous: People buy bottled water that is for the most part taken from a municipal water supply somewhere. We have been deluded into thinking that it is somehow purer.

I wonder if there are any bottled water plants in Flint, Michigan.

Absolutely agree. The water from the faucet on the ship is probably much better than normal bottle water. And also it's free.

What is ridiculous: People buy bottled water that is for the most part taken from a municipal water supply somewhere. We have been deluded into thinking that it is somehow purer.

Nah. The best is when someone tells us that one bottled water tastes better than another brand ........

We bring our own, or just buy a large bottle onboard for the stateroom at night. The bottles are recycled, just like at home. While we do consume the ship's water at meals and usually while sitting at the pool, we prefer the bottled water to avoid adding to the swollen fingers, ankles, etc., that already takes place from the salted food :) We have a reverse osmosis system at home. We do not drink plain tap water, and wouldn't.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

Most bottled water are plain marketing hype, these "Smart water" - available in Bermuda & elsewhere - under the Glaceau label, owned by Coca Cola Company - came from Whitestone, NY. Vapor distilled (municipal/tap) water - that's all.

ac7d91f56415d31e4d3be83b57317c55.jpg

309485e1418f67c730c97f6d2b56086a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

At home, I drink filtered tap (sometimes I accidentally take a sip of DH's tap water - gross). I drink about 64 ounces a day, so I don't want to drink that much ship water, because of fluid retention. We bring a couple of cases.

Are they insane?? I can buy the same amount on land for $2 or $3!!!! Do people actually spend that???

actually very cheap compared to buying at a baseball, football, hockey game or even buying at the movies, 4-6 dollars a bottle or 96 or 144 a case

It is crazy the high price!

In February I sailed the CCL Breeze and a 12 pack was $2.99.

I just purchased three 12 packs for my February 2018 Vista cruise and the price

went up to $3.99 for a 12 pack but I happily paid it for the convenience of not

having to lug it onboard. $70 is just crazy!

It is crazy the high price!

In February I sailed the CCL Breeze and a 12 pack was $2.99.

I just purchased three 12 packs for my February 2018 Vista cruise and the price

went up to $3.99 for a 12 pack but I happily paid it for the convenience of not

having to lug it onboard. $70 is just crazy!

Again, it is NOT the same as the 12 pack you would get on Carnival. The $70 price quoted is for 24 LARGE bottles (liter or possibly 1.5 liter), much larger than the Carnival price you are quoting. And Carnival does not let you bring on your own bottled water, so that is why Carnival lowered their price. It was higher when they allowed people to bring bottled water onboard.

Edited by Mistizoom

for all these people who care about the sodium on the ships water, cant you just buy one of those brita filter things for your water bottle? And then wouldn't that fix both problems, no sodium and free? Or am i wrong about those filters? I drink cocktails and tap water and take a bottle on an excursion.

Why not just drink the free water on board? It is FREE and the smae H2) that you are paying good money for.

The last norovirus on the gem was blamed on bad water in San Juan . For myself, I'll go to Costco

Again, it is NOT the same as the 12 pack you would get on Carnival. The $70 price quoted is for 24 LARGE bottles (liter or possibly 1.5 liter), much larger than the Carnival price you are quoting. And Carnival does not let you bring on your own bottled water, so that is why Carnival lowered their price. It was higher when they allowed people to bring bottled water onboard.

This is spot on. And if you price check 24 liter bottles on land it's going to be $30-ish bucks (at least). You can't compare this amount of water to the $3.99 special at the grocery store.

I purchased the 6-pack ($27-ish) on my last cruise because my brother-in-law threw a hissy fit because water wasn't included and was "so expensive" and he refused to drink the ship water (even though he knew all of this in advance and could have packed his own). I was NCL's captive audience and paid about $4.50 a bottle just to get him to stop whining. I wish I could have paid the hostess to let him wear his baseball cap in the dining room (he is not a good cruiser...complained about every thing). They had 3 bottles left over at the end of the cruise (it's a lot of water).

The $4.50 is cheaper per bottle than my local movie theater ($6 for the same water/size as NCL); another place that has a captive audience and thus can jack up the price.

Call me a sucker, but I bought the water too. I really wanted an 18-pack, but the price did make me take a 12.

I could bring that much on board, but I have zero ability to haul a freaking case of water to the port and up to my room if they won't check it. Zero. My understanding is that Tampa won't check water, which would be a problem if I were able to get it to the port in the first place. Water is hugely heavy.

I drink about five gallons a week at home. I buy the refillable gallons at the grocery store and then pour them into the regular empty water or pop bottles. I have anywhere from six to nine filled bottles in the refrigerator at all times, and they are all cold cold cold.

I am spoiled on having cold fresh water instantly, at hand, whenever I want it. It's outrageously expensive, but worth it for me over lugging two or three water bottles and Brita filters or whatever around the ship. I don't want to have to go up to the buffet for a refill if I'm settled in.

So, yes, I was really shocked and dismayed at myself for paying that much for water. But when I consider what I am paying for this cruise and how much I like having cold refrigerated water right there at all times, I just bit the bullet. I'll surely have to do a lot of refilling at the buffet, but hopefully the water will be good and I won't have to mess with lines too much.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give a little bit of the other side of it. Expensive water is an indulgence, just like nearly everything else I will have on this trip.

Most is purer even if it's taken from a municipal water supply!! Maybe you should Google it before you make a statement like that. And yes I do work for a major producer of bottled water so I know a lot about how it's purified.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm happy they don't allow to bring on board since paying $3.99 for a 12 pack is SO much more convenient. If RCCL didn't allow and made the price of water a lot more reasonable, I bet a lot of people would be very happy.

Yeah, but the point is they want to discourage people from buying it. All those plastic bottles create a whole mess of waste. You can bring your own on the ship with you, but the better option is to bring a refillable water bottle, and drink water for absolutely free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I dont think they price it to dicourage the practice due to plastic bottle waste...I feel they are preying on those who dont realize they can bring water on board...and believe me...its a large part of the cruise population. people need water...yes its free from the tap onboard...but there is something to be said aboult sitting back in a soft recliner and cracking open a luke warm bottle of water you just bought on board for a bargain price of $71 per case...ohhh the good life..!!

I dont think they price it to dicourage the practice due to plastic bottle waste...I feel they are preying on those who dont realize they can bring water on board...and believe me...its a large part of the cruise population. people need water...yes its free from the tap onboard...but there is something to be said aboult sitting back in a soft recliner and cracking open a luke warm bottle of water you just bought on board for a bargain price of $71 per case...ohhh the good life..!!

We totally fell for it on our first NCL cruise. We had just boarded on day one, and got a very aggressive sales job on water -- it was discounted a bit and they said they would deliver it right to the room, etc. We totally fell for it.

The last norovirus on the gem was blamed on bad water in San Juan . For myself, I'll go to Costco

And please, those of you who do bring your own water containers ... DO NOT FILL THEM UP AT THE BUFFET without using a "transfer glass". Sticking the neck of the bottle up around the drink spout spreads your week-old bacteria and viruses to the rest of us.