Duty/taxes question

Formulagod

My wife and I are about to finish our first cruise. We got the little form to declare what we purchased. How much of this is expected/necessary? Is there an allowance? Is there tax fees associated?

We purchased about 2k in jewelry; most at the ports, that's about it.

My wife and I are about to finish our first cruise. We got the little form to declare what we purchased. How much of this is expected/necessary? Is there an allowance? Is there tax fees associated?

We purchased about 2k in jewelry; most at the ports, that's about it.

It's expected that you will fill out the declaration form fully. Listing what you've purchased and the cost. Yes, there are customs allowances, but I don't know the specifics. Any costs above the allowance you pay taxes on.

Edited by Shmoo here

Note that if you buy anything of significant value on board the ship, such as jewelry, the ship may report that to customs. This is what happens on Royal Caribbean.

Edited by clarea

You are allowed $800 in merchandise and 1 liter of alcohol per person duty free, unless you visit the US Virgin Islands which raises your allowances to $1600 in merchandise and 5 liters of alcohol per person.

As a rule, they don't physically check each and every person coming off the ship. They look at your form, ask you what you are declaring, how many bottles of alcohol you have, if you have any fruit or vegetables, etc. They then either wave you through or, if they decide you need to pay a duty, they point you to the collection office.

The tax, if any, will be small on your purchase. The cost of filing a fraudulent declaration will vastly exceed this

Agree with you.

Declare everything. Lying (outright, or by omission) will only get you in deeper. The declaration form is a legal document.

WE bought a ring on a island..I wore it for the duration of the cruise...never THOUGHT to claim it! They asked us about booze...but not about my jewelry!

Really? You didn't "think" to declare a jewelry purchase? What about the lines on the form where they ask you to list the goods and their value? The ring didn't count?

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%206059B%20English%20%28Fillable%29_0.pdf<--CBP Form

And most times, they never question what you have on the form. The only time I was questioned was my 21 day Med trip. The guy asked me if I was sure I only purchased $800 of merchandise, (smiling and raising his eyebrows) and I replied yes (I pulled out the receipts), the trip itself was so expensive, I didn't have much money left over to spend on items.

He let me go with no further questions.

And as a couple, you are allowed $1600, so when I travel with my husband I get his $800 and my $800, as he doesn't buy anything other than food.

In approximately 25 trips out of the US, I've never had to pay any additional fees.

Another tip, take receipts for your camera, laptop, etc (even if you purchased at home), they may think large purchases were done abroad.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with you.

Declare everything. Lying (outright, or by omission) will only get you in deeper. The declaration form is a legal document.

Really? You didn't "think" to declare a jewelry purchase? What about the lines on the form where they ask you to list the goods and their value? The ring didn't count?

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%206059B%20English%20%28Fillable%29_0.pdf<--CBP Form

Selective amnesia. ;)

Have never had to pay even when we have been over the limit. We used to carry some proof of purchase for things like cameras when there was a great price difference on buying overseas. Since most commercial goods are actually cheaper in the US this rarely comes up and is not worth the hassle.

Do fill out the form completely.