Global Entry Question

dpluta

Hi.

We're sailing out of Port Everglades and they have the Global Entry (GE) program there. I have a GE account but my wife does not. Has anyone else been in this situation and if yes, what strategy did you use to save the most time getting yourselves through with only one person having GE?

Thanks.

Hi.

Has anyone else been in this situation and if yes, what strategy did you use to save the most time getting yourselves through with only one person having GE?

Thanks.

Yes,

my strategy was to wait in line with my wife just like everyone else.

She's special to me but not so much to the fine folks working Immigrations. :rolleyes:

I could but she rarely travels internationally. I got it mainly for work. I read elsewhere that if the cruise originates in the US then you dont go through customs at all. Is that correct?

No time to get her GE?

I read elsewhere that if the cruise originates in the US then you dont go through customs at all. Is that correct?

Mostly incorrect

When the ship returns and docks on the final morning, once it's tied off, the ship is under the control of USCBP. Nobody gets on or off until they clear the ship. Could be a half hour, could be 4 or 5 hours depending on if they want to do a full inspection of crew documentation.

Each family will be given the blue US Customs form to fill out. If you have something to declare that will cause you to pay duty or taxes, it's expected that you will do this prior to leaving the ship.

Usually the Customs inspection is just handing over the blue card.

Then you go grab your luggage and stand in line for Immigrations.

Usually one line for US passengers and one line for International.

Edited by klfrodo

I could but she rarely travels internationally. I got it mainly for work. I read elsewhere that if the cruise originates in the US then you dont go through customs at all. Is that correct?

Not quite correct. For a closed loop cruise (starts in a US port and ends in the same US port), CBP uses the ID information given at check-in and put on the passenger manifest to screen the passenger list all during the cruise. Therefore, they have more time to screen than say an airline or land crossing, so the disembarkation "interview" is shorter, basically ensuring that your face matches your ID, and the name on the ID matches the person they have already checked out. That's for Immigration. For Customs, you will need to fill out the declaration form for purchases made outside the US, just like normal.

The GE system at the port, unless it has changed recently, is not the kiosk type, but just a separate line to see a CBP agent.

...The GE system at the port, unless it has changed recently, is not the kiosk type, but just a separate line to see a CBP agent.

Yes but anything that will speed the process is worth its weight in gold!

Break it down to twenty bucks a year - peanuts!

I have a GE account but my wife does not. Has anyone else been in this situation and if yes, what strategy did you use to save the most time getting yourselves through with only one person having GE?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure what exactly you are asking - if there is a way to sneak your wife in? Can she come into the same line with you so you can stay together? The answer is no, a very firm no, and in fact (not that you would attempt this, just musing) they made it very clear to us on our receiving our Nexus/Trusted Traveler cards that everyone using the Global Entry line/lane MUST be a member. Any attempt to allow access to an unregistered traveler is grounds for revocation.

So.... you either apply for her to get a card for herself, or you go in the regular line with her. Those are your only two choices. :)

Hi.

We're sailing out of Port Everglades and they have the Global Entry (GE) program there. I have a GE account but my wife does not. Has anyone else been in this situation and if yes, what strategy did you use to save the most time getting yourselves through with only one person having GE?

Thanks.

If you can't take your minor children through with you, why would you be allowed to take an adult capable with going through the other line by themselves with you?

Hi.

Thanks.

There is no way to short cut the process. If one of you have it and the other doesn't then you both either go without it or you split up going through customs. I really don't see the benefit when returning from a cruise.

No shortcut but I suppose I could go through fast and maybe grab a cab and our bags by the time she goes through?

Well, I suppose, but I really feel you are over thinking this. No offense, but would you really separate? Leave your wife to go through another line? She would have to fill out her own Customs Declaration card (I mean, no biggie but one per family does suffice when you are declaring together at the same time).

I would not want my husband to do this. Just saying. We stay together in everything, especially when traveling. You just never know when something may come up, or go wrong. :o

Yes but anything that will speed the process is worth its weight in gold!

Break it down to twenty bucks a year - peanuts!

The fact that GE also makes you eligible for TSA pre-check is likely to be more helpful if you fly domestically more than internationally - I'd estimate that we save at least thirty minutes standing in line every time we fly.

If you are in a huge hurry, self disembark with the first group in the morning. You will be through customs and immigration in under 30 minutes and in a taxi headed to the airport in about 15 minutes. Port Everglades has the disembarkation and customs and immigration process down so it moves very fast. There are lots and lots of taxis, so no need to rush to grab one. They will not let you have one unless your entire party is present and ready to be loaded into the taxi anyway. If you are in a suite on most lines, you will be among the first 20 passengers to disembark if you choose self-disembarkation. At most there may be 4 - 5 people ahead of you in line. My husband and I both have our GE's, but have never needed to use them in Port Everglades because the regular process is so quick and painless.

You will only go through Global Entry when you exit the port. It is not to be used when you enter the port.

And I would plan that each of you will be on separate lines.

And if you were arriving by airplane you would have to do that too.

Keith

Does she travel by air domestically (within the USA)?

If so, then bite the bullet and "let" her get GE, too, so she'll have Pre-Check.

Then you don't need to keep having her considered a second-class traveler to your first-class treatment. Even having this discussion with her (OR in her mind!) means... she isn't "equal" to you.

Really??

And if this is to be her ONLY trip for years to come, then for goodness sake... stay with HER in HER (longer) line, rather than making this about your different statuses.

If the delay is SO intolerable, then why force it upon "her", but consider avoiding it yourself?