Which way is better?

argenta01

I’m thinking of doing a 28 day on the Crown. It is sold both as a 28 day cruise or two, 14 day cruises. If I book as a B2B, can I then use 2 FCC's as well as submit twice for the CCL stock? Since I am cruising alone, would that also mean 4 CC vs 2?

Can you experts on this please help me out? :) Thanks!

You will get Captains Circle credits for two cruises (so four cruise credits as a solo) whichever way you book. You just have to crunch the numbers to see which is more beneficial: two stockholder OBCs rather than one vs. any savings if booking as only one cruise rather than two.

When you do the actual booking of the cruise, ask which is the better option. Princess will work with you so that you understand the plus and minus of booking one or a B2B cruise. If you decide to do a B2B make sure you will be in the same room for both and the two cruises are linked together in their computer. Also ask for no upgrades.

There is no simple answer. You need to look at both.

Shareholder Benefit for two 14-day cruises (per stateroom): 2 * $250 = $500

Shareholder Benefit for one 28-day cruise (per stateroom): $250

Military Benefit for two 14-day cruises (per qualified passenger): 2 * $250 = $500

Military Benefit for one 28-day cruise (per qualified passenger): $250

Future Cruise Deposit for two 14-day cruises (per passenger) (inside, outside): 2 * $75 = $150

Future Cruise Deposit for one 28-day cruise (per passenger) (inside, outside): $125

Future Cruise Deposit for two 14-day cruises (per passenger) (balcony, mini-suite, suite): 2 * $100 = $200

Future Cruise Deposit for one 28-day cruise (per passenger) (balcony, mini-suite, suite): $150

For two passengers (stockholder, non-veteran, each using Future Cruise Deposit:

Two 14-day cruises: $500 + 2 * $200 = $900

One 28-day cruise: $250 + 2 * $150 = $550

Advantage of booking two 14-day cruises: $350 ($250 from stockholders and $100 ($50 each) from Future Cruise Deposit)

However the price for the one cruise may be different than the sum of the prices for the two - you would need to look at that.

Also the price may change. They may later have a sale for the 14-day cruise but not for the 28-day one (or vice versa). You cannot take advantage of the sale if you are booked on the other one. I believe a sale is more likely on the shorter one, but I'm certainly not sure about that.

Sometimes some cabins are only available on the 28-day cruise and other ones are only available for the 14-day cruises. If they specific cabin you want is only available on one or the other, you may want to go that way.

If you would like to consider an upgrade or an upsell, then booking the single 28-day cruise may be better. Then you would either get no offer or an offer for the entire cruise. If you book two 14-day cruises, then you may get an upgrade or upsell offer for one but not for the other.

If you book a guarantee for one 28-day cruise, then you will get the same cabin for 28 days. If you book a guarantee for two 14-day cruises, then you probably will not.

Notice that the tradeoff would be different for different cruise lengths. The stockholder credit and Future Cruise Deposit credits for a 14-day cruise are more than for two 7-day cruises.

I suspect I've confused more than simplified. There is no simple answer. You need to do a trial booking each way and compare the results.

Be sure to figure in the cost of the cruise. Usually, but not always, we find booking as one cruise is cheaper than booking as a b2b

OMG!! This is so confusing. :eek:

I am Elite. If booked as one cruise, will the mini bar and internet minutes be replenished at the end of the first 14 days?

How about the loyalty reward? I think I am at $50 per sailing. Would a B2B double that?

I better make an Excel spreadsheet. :D

I’m thinking of doing a 28 day on the Crown. It is sold both as a 28 day cruise or two, 14 day cruises. If I book as a B2B, can I then use 2 FCC's as well as submit twice for the CCL stock? Since I am cruising alone, would that also mean 4 CC vs 2?

Can you experts on this please help me out? :) Thanks!

How's it price out?

icon1.gifWhich way is better?

If you book as two separate cruises you must use one FCC for each leg. You can apply for Carnival stockholder's OBC for each leg.

No matter how you book the cruise you will receive 4 cruise credits.

Which way is better?

We normally book as two separate cruises in order to have the ability to take advantage of any promos on one leg or the other. We prepare a spreadsheet to compare the options to determine which has the lowest net cost.

Here is one example of the categories used from a recent voyage of how we calculate the net cost:

Fare Ins Port Sub Total Hotel Charge Sub Total

FCC OBC Promo OBC TA OBC Stock OBC Loyalty OBC Free Grats Total OBC

Net fare

Yes, you almost need a spread sheet to track the differences.

What we've found (on 2 B2Bs)....the perks and OBC are better when booked separately. The cruise price was better when booked as a single cruise.

That may have been just our experience and not an "across the fleet" thing. For us, the increased OBC did not make up for the price difference....so the better outcome was a single booking.

You get the same number of cruise credits either way.

So, the benefits provisioned onboard (Internet, minibar, loyalty cash) are provisioned per the smallest unit the cruise is sold as. Doesn't matter how you book.

Not necessarily. I did a 20 day trip that was also sold as two 10 day trips. Only got one allocation of minutes based upon 20 days.

I am Elite. If booked as one cruise, will the mini bar and internet minutes be replenished at the end of the first 14 days?

Yes, as it happened to us most unexpectedly on a Transatlantic on Royal. The cruise had a bunch of different lengths of 15, 18, & 22 days. We took the 18 so we could get to Norway, Germany and Sweden and found a second setup of booze waiting for us for the 3-day leg.

Thank you, Princess!

Steve

Thanks everyone for all your input. I did create an Excel spreadsheet to see everything laid out in front of me.

The price is slightly cheaper to book as one 28 day cruise, but I make out better with OBC as a B2B.

After several lousy guarantee cabins, I won't do that anymore. My favorite cabin was available, so I have it for both legs and it is marked no upgrade.

Plus if I want to have someone join me, it will be easier to find those that want a 14 day rather than a 28 day.

Now I just have to wait 345 days to leave. :(

Not necessarily. I did a 20 day trip that was also sold as two 10 day trips. Only got one allocation of minutes based upon 20 days.

How long ago was that? They have changed the way they do things in the last year or two or maybe three.