All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Hi Everyone! 

We are 23 days to our cruise - yay!  The Panorama on 28 May, Basel to Amsterdam. 

However - trying to make sure we can get the correct COVID test in Amsterdam to be able to board a plane back to the US.  (staying extra after we disembark). 

Is the rapid antigen test valid for boarding a plane?  Everything i read uses different terminology it seems.  

The main place to test is called SPOED Test.  They have lots of centers around Amsterdam.  

The testing they offer is the Rapid Antigen Test at 40 Euros, or the PCR Economy at 80 Euros.  

Big difference in price, and also the first one is results in 30 minutes, the second results in 24 hours.  

I think we can do the rapid as long as it's an Antigen test , correct?  

Thoughts???

Rapid antigen, yes.

We used the Binax tests last month to come home from Paris, which worked perfectly well. We also used the rapid antigen tests at a pharmacy in Ajaccio last year to come home then. Either will work (as long as the result is negative).

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:30 PM, BAYA said:

Yes you must wear a mask during the lunch buffet time and breakfast buffet time until you are seated at your table. And yes Avalon required proof of our fully vaccinated status before they checked us in on the ship. We happen to be boosted but they didn’t require that I don’t believe.

A quick question for you - did they require you to use the N95 masks?  Or any mask?  Thank you!!

20 hours ago, hmcrn said:

Hi Everyone! 

We are 23 days to our cruise - yay!  The Panorama on 28 May, Basel to Amsterdam. 

However - trying to make sure we can get the correct COVID test in Amsterdam to be able to board a plane back to the US.  (staying extra after we disembark). 

Is the rapid antigen test valid for boarding a plane?  Everything i read uses different terminology it seems.  

The main place to test is called SPOED Test.  They have lots of centers around Amsterdam.  

The testing they offer is the Rapid Antigen Test at 40 Euros, or the PCR Economy at 80 Euros.  

Big difference in price, and also the first one is results in 30 minutes, the second results in 24 hours.  

Thoughts???

Gathering information on public forums is a good way to get your mind around these things.  But please check with your airline and/or the authorities for verification of the details.  Have a wonderful cruise!  On Avalon, that's almost a guarantee. 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, jsn55 said:

Grand France has been on my radar since we started doing Avalon eight years ago.  Just haven’t made it yet.   Maybe next year we will make that one Avalon #6! 

• Like 1

We will be ending our cruise in Amsterdam and taking the train to Paris.  

Does anyone have an idea which station would be closest to the docks?  Centraal Station or Schiphol airport? 

Seems like there’s a big station very near the docks we used on two previous cruises.  If that’s Centraal, I’ll try to cancel our end of cruise airport transfer. 

thank you. 

1 minute ago, Kenster said:

We will be ending our cruise in Amsterdam and taking the train to Paris.  

Does anyone have an idea which station would be closest to the docks?  Centraal Station or Schiphol airport? 

Seems like there’s a big station very near the docks we used on two previous cruises.  If that’s Centraal, I’ll try to cancel our end of cruise airport transfer. 

thank you. 

You should use Centraal Station.  The Thalys high-speed train to Paris Nord is excellent.  We just did this making a DIY back-to-back from an AMA Tulip Time cruise to a Scenic Seine cruise.  Easy peasy.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You should use Centraal Station.  The Thalys high-speed train to Paris Nord is excellent.  We just did this making a DIY back-to-back from an AMA Tulip Time cruise to a Scenic Seine cruise.  Easy peasy.

We plan on doing the reverse to board the Illumination in Amsterdam. But we don't sail until August 2023!

On 5/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, hmcrn said:

Hi Everyone! 

Thoughts???

We used Spoed last September coming home from Amsterdam!  Quick and easy!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, dtenel said:

We used Spoed last September coming home from Amsterdam!  Quick and easy!

Excellent!  Was it just the 40 Euro rapid antigen test that is resulted in 30 minutes?  

Or did you go for the more expensive PCR test?  

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, hmcrn said:

Excellent!  Was it just the 40 Euro rapid antigen test that is resulted in 30 minutes?  

Or did you go for the more expensive PCR test?  

Thank you!!

When we went in September it was free...but it was the rapid antigen and we had the results emailed to us in 30 minutes!  

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know the latest time you have to leave an Avalon ship on your last day? Our flight leaves Amsterdam at 15:00 and debating whether to stash luggage at Centraal or stay onboard until they kick us off (or can we leave luggage onboard until 12ish whilst we go for a walk)?

It will depend on the ship itself, but boarding for the new cruise can start right after lunch, so you'd no doubt have to vacate your cabin by 8 or 9am.  It might be possible to leave your luggage in one of the public rooms and come back to get it after a walk.  That would be arranged on the ship itself if it's even possible.  I'd not advise that, better to store securely at the train station.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

It will depend on the ship itself, but boarding for the new cruise can start right after lunch, so you'd no doubt have to vacate your cabin by 8 or 9am.  It might be possible to leave your luggage in one of the public rooms and come back to get it after a walk.  That would be arranged on the ship itself if it's even possible.  I'd not advise that, better to store securely at the train station.

We’ve always had VERY early departures to catch our flight but it seems that everyone had to be off ship by 10:00 at the latest.  Don’t know about special arrangements. 

I would stash your bags at the station, go for a walk, then take the train to the airport.  It’ll be a lot cheaper than Avalon’s $45 per person transfer, though the car may be less hassle. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Thank you Kenster and jsn55 - lazy breakfast, stash bags at station and go for a walk it is then 😁. We had planned on train to the airport anyway. We just have Manchester airport to look forward to on our return 😢

• Like 1

The above post got me to wondering.  We had already booked transfers on both ends before I remembered that the AMS CENTRAAL train station was basically across the street from the docks (based on two previous cruises.) 

Have any of you taken the train to the Amsterdam airport? How was it? 
I just suggested to another member that they do this but I have no experience with the train. 
It would be a lot cheaper IF it’s not too much hassle schlepping bags.  We normally do our cruises with a carry on suitcase and a small tote each. Not sure if that’ll be possible this time with a sixteen day cruise. (At least winter gear won’t be necessary in early September.)

I wonder what the chances are of getting a refund on our transfers? 

Kenster is the dock by the Movenpick Hotel? It is a few years since we were last in Amsterdam and we stayed there (and watched the ships) but the train journey was quick and easy with no stops (15/20mins). We only had carryon then but this time I am bringing one hold case between us 😜

8 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Kenster is the dock by the Movenpick Hotel? It is a few years since we were last in Amsterdam and we stayed there (and watched the ships) but the train journey was quick and easy with no stops (15/20mins). We only had carryon then but this time I am bringing one hold case between us 😜

Yes. That’s the spot. I verified it a few days ago. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Playtennis said:

As a first timer sailing on a river cruise..and Avalon..we would like to know how much luggage we can carry.  What is the largest size (L x W x H) that we can carry?

Thanks 

K

If you can check it on an airplane, it should be good for the ship. Remember that boarding a river cruiser is not as user-friendly as an airport when it comes to lugging bags.   Check the fine print of your cruise on Avalon's website for specifics. 

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

If you can check it on an airplane, it should be good for the ship. Remember that boarding a river cruiser is not as user-friendly as an airport when it comes to lugging bags.   Check the fine print of your cruise on Avalon's website for specifics. 

Checking the fine print is why I'm asking the question.  And, since I've never boarded a river cruise boat I don't know the difference between it and an airplane.

Unfortunately I am still asking for the dimension limitation for luggage.

Please.

According to the Avalon website:

Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30"x21"x11" and a weight not exceeding 50 lbs. (22 kg).

Just remember that depending on your travel plans, you may need to be responsible for managing your luggage at times..so plan accordingly 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

According to the Avalon website:

Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30"x21"x11" and a weight not exceeding 50 lbs. (22 kg).

Just remember that depending on your travel plans, you may need to be responsible for managing your luggage at times..so plan accordingly 

That size is a VERY large suitcase, since luggage sizes are measured diagonally (like TVs and computer monitors). A medium-sized suitcase is 24-26", a large one is 28-30". Avalon cares a bit about the weight (because their staff will bring the luggage on to the ship and off), but not really about dimensions. However, it does need to fit under your bed, so watch the depth measurement.

I have never travelled with anything larger than a 26" suitcase, I have never had a problem fitting everything in (even when I was on cycling trips and needed cycling gear in addition to regular touring gear). The biggest hassle is shoes; keep the number to a minimum and you will manage. In my experience, don't try to go for an outfit per day; bring clothing that you can mix and match; it goes farther. I have also been able to manage all my own luggage, a purse on my shoulder under a backpack and that medium sized rolling suitcase.

• Like 1