All Things Avalon

FuelScience

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Just a curious question for those who have taken the Avalon extensions.  We are doing the Budapest to Prague next May, and are wondering what type of hotel room we will get. 

When I did the Danube out of Budapest, we were to meet everyone at the InterContinental Budapest on the river. I was under the impression that's where the other passengers stayed that did the pre-ceuise extension.

I can't be absolutely certain because my flight was late and I had to take a $130 taxi ride about an hour away to catch the ship. That was the hotel where we were supposed to meet all the other passengers and bus over to the dock an hour away because the water was too low for them to get into Budapest. The hotel was able to contact the ship for us thank goodness, and the cruise director reimbursed me for the taxi ride.

19 hours ago, Daisi said:

Just a curious question for those who have taken the Avalon extensions.  We are doing the Budapest to Prague next May, and are wondering what type of hotel room we will get.  

Thanks all

This is our first time with Avalon (Budapest to Nuremberg).  We booked a pre-cruise extension and they told us they had 2 hotels in Budapest they generally use: The InterContinental Budapest in downtown and the Budapest Marriott across the river. Since I have lots of free upgrades with Marriott, I asked if we could get our rooms there. They agreed and booked us at the Marriott. I then contacted the hotel directly and applied for one of my remaining Suite Nights upgrades, which they accepted. As for getting airfare and desired seats through Avalon, I told them what cabin or fare class I wanted, they assigned seats in the general area I asked for, which I later changed through the airline for better choices that were still available. So far, so good, other than Hungary not yet accepting US citizens with only 25 days to go until we fly out to BUD.

Thanks for your replies, but I am wondering about the type of room.  I am wondering if they give you a room with a view or just any room.  Just curious, as we don't plan to spend much more time in our hotel room than we do in our cabin.  We arranged our own hotels last time for the pre & post cruise days so never knew what type of room you got.

Airfare is not a problem for us, last time we mentioned at booking that we may be interested in their air, and Avalon contacted our TA when they were booking to give her a quote. Since it beat any we could find, we took it and then I went and chose our seats.  This time we had a guaranteed price for air, so went ahead and said we would go through them...then Covid hit.  When we re-booked, we got free air, and now just waiting to hear on our route and when they ticket it so we can go in and re-book.

• 1 month later...

Hi, We are on Blue Danube Discovery October 20. We have 2 day extension pre-cruise in Budapest. Does anyone know what is included in Avalon’s included excursion? We need to plan something to do the day we arrive and don’t want to duplicate what we’ll be doing the next day on the Avalon excursion. 

20 hours ago, 40 Years between cruises said:

We have 2 day extension pre-cruise in Budapest.

Take a look at the Budapest Card--24hr or 48 hr.  It includes a free thermal bath entry at Lukacs, free local transportation and separate walking tours of Buda and of Pest plus numerous discounts such as for night cruises on the Danube.

1 hour ago, hihandycap said:

Take a look at the Budapest Card--24hr or 48 hr.  It includes a free thermal bath entry at Lukacs, free local transportation and separate walking tours of Buda and of Pest plus numerous discounts such as for night cruises on the Danube.

Agree. We bought them online prior to arrival and picked them up at the airport when we got there. Then we immediately used them to get to our hotel using the bus then the metro. Super easy. We got our money's worth from those passes, for sure.

• Like 1

I think from looking at our upcoming cruise, we are expecting a driven orientation of the city, and a walking tour.  We will be purchasing tickets prior to leaving for the Parliament buildings, and when we arrive, a night tour of the river.  We will not be doing the dining tour, as I hear that the food isn't the "best".  We will also purchase the 72 hr transit pass, to save problems of trying to figure out their ticket system - I hear a lot of complaints of people not researching how to use the single tickets and getting fines.

There are lots of things to see in the city,  so plan your visits well.  We plan to do the Parliament tour on the first day, as you have to stash your backpacks in lockers, so would rather leave tablets locked in our hotel safe. I found a "local" market place to pick up my stash of paprika, so will avoid the busy main one - not a crowd lover.  After our Parliament tour, I want to go see the McDonalds near there, I hear it's a bit unique.  We like to wander, so will probably go to Margaret Island and Fisherman's Bastion & St. Stephen's on the day we board the ship.  I would like to see Vajdahunyad Castle as well, as it's in a nice park so that may be the day we land to wear off jet lag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Daisi said:

After our Parliament tour, I want to go see the McDonalds near there, I hear it's a bit unique.

I think you mean the one deemed one of the prettiest (in fast food outlet terms) in Europe, some say in the world. Saw it passing by on the coach - amazing architecture The train station that it is in: https://www.seat61.com/stations/budapest-nyugati

notamermaid

• Like 1

Just returned from a Danube cruise with an extra night in Budapest.  Avalon hotel was Marriott, no other choice.  Rooms had a view of the Danube.  The included tour through Avalon was driving tour of Buda and Pest, drive past Heroes square.  Only left the bus at Buda castle with a short walking tour there.  After tour we had 40 minutes to tour on our own.

Thanks @Travelw, I was also curious about the rooms, as we will be doing Avalon's pre & post cruise. Glad to see you get rooms with a view.

Was the tour morning or afternoon?  We are thinking of getting tickets to the Parliament for the afternoon, but if you only had 40 minutes after the included tour, it makes me wonder.

The tour was in the morning, in our case it left from the ship since it was our last day of the cruise. The 40 minutes I mentioned was to look on our own around the castle before heading back to the ship for lunch.  The afternoon was totally free.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,  

I just found this forum today.

My husband and I are booked on the Envision with 2 nights in Prague pre-cruise beginning May 24 of next year then boarding the ship in Nuremberg. This will be our first river cruise EVER.  Does anyone have advice for "newbies?

We will be disembarking in Budapest.   The tips about Budapest are very useful.    Does anyone have tips for the Avalon pre-cruise in Prague?  

Susan (xLibLabLady)

Just booked our 2nd Avalon cruise, the Romantic Rhine on the Expression, but we don't sail until the end of  August 2023! We are a group of 6 couples- could be more- and really appreciate Avalon's generous group discounts + most of us save $100 each for being past cruisers.

We disembark in Basel and from there will DIY a land trip in Switzerland via rail that includes Lucerne, the Jungfrau region, Lugano and possible Zermatt.

@xLibLabLady Our previous cruise ended in Budapest and rather than go with the Avalon add-on stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy taking time to see the sights the included city tour merely drove by.

Hi @xLibLabLady, we are doing Avalon Bud - Prague Sept 2023.  I haven't researched much on Prague, as we will only really have 1 1/2 day there, and the morning of our full day will be partly taken up with the "orientation" tour.  What interests do you have?  There is lots to see (and to little time), and knowing what you are interested in, I could maybe offer some suggestions I have thought of.

Avalon is a great line, casual, but still delivers the full experience.  We appreciated the fact that it wasn't "fussy".  Our first cruise was the Rhine, and we pre-booked all our excursions and pre-paid our tips, so other than 2 beers that we purchased the day we toured the Middle Rhine, we had no surprise expenses at the end.  We did give some extra to the crew we felt went above and beyond to ensure our vacation was tops, but that was just an extra thanks.  River cruising if done to the max is not a relaxing holiday, but one that most wish to repeat.  Not a lot of evening entertainment, but if you are ok with that (it's your "quiet time" maybe spending some time meeting up with new friends over a drink in the lounge with the pianist playing quietly in the background), and willing to go with the flow, you will probably have a great time.

I guess the best advice I ever received is be prepared for anything, high/low water, broken locks etc,, and be prepared to have a good time not matter what.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed our first one.

5 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Just booked our 2nd Avalon cruise, the Romantic Rhine on the Expression, but we don't sail until the end of  August 2023! We are a group of 6 couples- could be more- and really appreciate Avalon's generous group discounts + most of us save $100 each for being past cruisers.

We disembark in Basel and from there will DIY a land trip in Switzerland via rail that includes Lucerne, the Jungfrau region, Lugano and possible Zermatt.

@xLibLabLady Our previous cruise ended in Budapest and rather than go with the Avalon add-on stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy taking time to see the sights the included city tour merely drove by.

Great sounding plans for August!     Thanks for your recommendation for Budapest.

We just had the safety briefing on board the Expression for the Romantic Rhine cruise. Total passenger count is 53. Right about 1:1 passenger to crew.

Attached a photo of our half of the dining room. Definitely not crowded.

IMG_20211016_191427492.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Hi @xLibLabLady, we are doing Avalon Bud - Prague Sept 2023.  I haven't researched much on Prague, as we will only really have 1 1/2 day there, and the morning of our full day will be partly taken up with the "orientation" tour.  What interests do you have?  There is lots to see (and to little time), and knowing what you are interested in, I could maybe offer some suggestions I have thought of.

Avalon is a great line, casual, but still delivers the full experience.  We appreciated the fact that it wasn't "fussy".  Our first cruise was the Rhine, and we pre-booked all our excursions and pre-paid our tips, so other than 2 beers that we purchased the day we toured the Middle Rhine, we had no surprise expenses at the end.  We did give some extra to the crew we felt went above and beyond to ensure our vacation was tops, but that was just an extra thanks.  River cruising if done to the max is not a relaxing holiday, but one that most wish to repeat.  Not a lot of evening entertainment, but if you are ok with that (it's your "quiet time" maybe spending some time meeting up with new friends over a drink in the lounge with the pianist playing quietly in the background), and willing to go with the flow, you will probably have a great time.

I guess the best advice I ever received is be prepared for anything, high/low water, broken locks etc,, and be prepared to have a good time not matter what.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed our first one.

Thank you very much, Daisi, for all the much appreciated advice.   We are very much okay with there not being much evening entertainment.   Going with the flow literally and figuratively works for us! In terms of interests:  architecture, human history, geology, the numerous geocaches.

Susan(xLibLabLady)

24 minutes ago, xLibLabLady said:

Thank you very much, Daisi, for all the much appreciated advice.   We are very much okay with there not being much evening entertainment.   Going with the flow literally and figuratively works for us! In terms of interests:  architecture, human history, geology, the numerous geocaches.

Susan(xLibLabLady)

Prague's architecture is varied, from the historical astronomical clock and old buildings to the more modern Dancing House. There is the Art Nouveau Municipal House,  old churches like St. Georges Basilica and St. Nicholas Church, and of course the Old Town Square.  We are also looking into a cruise on the "Devil's Channel", to see the older buildings.  There are walking tours you can book for various histories - Jewish, general etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Prague's architecture is varied, from the historical astronomical clock and old buildings to the more modern Dancing House. There is the Art Nouveau Municipal House,  old churches like St. Georges Basilica and St. Nicholas Church, and of course the Old Town Square.  We are also looking into a cruise on the "Devil's Channel", to see the older buildings.  There are walking tours you can book for various histories - Jewish, general etc.  

Hi Daisi,  That's very helpful.

The cruise on the "Devil''s Channel" sounds great!.   Check out the pictures and descriptions on this page I found:  https://www.amazingczechia.com/sights/certovka/

Susan

3 minutes ago, xLibLabLady said:

Hi Daisi,  That's very helpful.

The cruise on the "Devil''s Channel" sounds great!.   Check out the pictures and descriptions on this page I found:  https://www.amazingczechia.com/sights/certovka/

Susan

Yes, I've seen some YouTube videos as well, that's what got me interested.  So many plans, so little time.  The more I have to "plan" our trip, the more I find to do!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Yes, I've seen some YouTube videos as well, that's what got me interested.  So many plans, so little time.  The more I have to "plan" our trip, the more I find to do!

Daisi,  Isn't that the truth!

By any chance do you live in British Columbia?    We may be neighbours.

Susan

21 minutes ago, xLibLabLady said:

Daisi,  Isn't that the truth!

By any chance do you live in British Columbia?    We may be neighbours.

Susan

Nope, almost the other end of the country... Eastern Ontario here. 🙂 

When you are in Budapest, don't forget to check out the night time cruise on the river.  Depending on how traffic picks up, they may not do it through Avalon.

• Like 2

We are taking a Christmas Markets cruise from Vienna to Nuremberg in December.  We are spending 3 days in Budapest before taking the train or private car hire to Vienna.  I know we need a PCR test before flying to Budapest, and right now it looks like we only need proof of vaccination to get into Austria.  Germany requires people flying into Germany to fill out a passenger locator form; does anyone know if we still have to fill them out for the locations we will visit on the cruise?  TIA