Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

I haven't seen photos of it dangling, but if it can't be secured they may just remove the door/platform entirely and board up opening to protect from weather. They can always have spotters one deck up for docking until repairs can be made. I'd suspect the door/platform or opening has been tweaked enough that they likely can't secure it in place.

I will be surprised if they leave on schedule (that is not to say they couldn't maintain itinerary, I just doubt they will leave on time).

I thought someone here posted it was dangling.

I can't imagine leaving on time, won't passengers be fully dependant on elevators to get to upper levels?

I thought someone here posted it was dangling.

I can't imagine leaving on time, won't passengers be fully dependant on elevators to get to upper levels?

Someone posted it, but I haven't seen any photos of it to tell what the damage looks like. Also, a photo won't tell the full extent, and I'm not a naval architect or engineer anyways, just going off gut feeling.

I'd imagine they are going to allow usage of crew stairs and elevators as well; think of it like EVERYONE coming back from an excursion at the same time...yikes. It is going to be slow and not much fun I imagine.

The USCG would have boarded pretty quickly after the incident, and everyone on the bridge or in the bow mooring station would be tested for drug and alcohol levels, likely the engineers on watch as well. Civil damages for the gangway would be the company's responsibility, but any action against the Captain would have to be from the country that issued his license (except for criminal charges).

But no one was hurt and repairs can be made. Cars can be replaced.

Yes, but years of lawsuits and legal posturing to come. LOL. Maritime law is a black science, probably written by a group of guys in a smokey room, piled high with cases of Jack and a bucket of fresh weed. It's not for the faint of heart. ;)

We were just turned away from the port by Baltimore police. No one is being allowed into the parking or drop off until 1pm. There are a lot of people standing in the parking area but I don't know if they are returning pax or if they were allowed in prior to the closing.

We were just turned away from the port by Baltimore police. No one is being allowed into the parking or drop off until 1pm. There are a lot of people standing in the parking area but I don't know if they are returning pax or if they were allowed in prior to the closing.

Doesn't sound like you'll be steaming out on time today. Get pics of that platform on the bow for us if you can. There don't seem to be any pics of that floating around the internet.

Edited by Thorncroft

I cannot remember whether that port has two gangways. I know they could do zero deck boarding, but that would take a while. Obviously they will not using that one for a while. Wonder why it was not retracted......

I was in New Orleans when this happened staying at the Hilton riverfront. It was crazy.

Bright Field.

I was in the French Quarter at the 1850 house museum gift shop, and suddenly all the police around jackson square started running and sirens everywhere!

Never forget it. I stayed at the Hilton Riverside last November and the work they did to rebuild it is really good, can't even tell anything happened.,

I cannot remember whether that port has two gangways. I know they could do zero deck boarding, but that would take a while. Obviously they will not using that one for a while. Wonder why it was not retracted......

Google earth only shows one.

In the picture it showed vehicles under everything.

As a "local" it appears the crushed van/pickup truck nearest the ship is a port administration vehicle that takes care of hooking up a water supply line to the ship. The crushed trailer is used mostly for storage or a place for the dock workers to take breaks out of the weather.

The 3 cars that the bridge collapsed onto I'm assuming. Probably delivery vehicles on the ground.

State vehicles being used by Port employees operating the gangway and preparing water for the ship.

Passenger Boarding Bridge was in normal position ( retracted) Pride didn't make turn in time.

Doesn't sound like you'll be steaming out on time today. Get pics of that rplatform on the bow for us if you can. There don't seem to be any pics of that floating around the internet.

Post #1 and #8 have pictures.