Dining - for me the most difficult part of soloing

Winchester Ranger

I almost always eat in the MDR. I've mostly been reasonably lucky with my tablemates. There were a few solos on Voyager in 2012 and we met up on the CC roll call, so got our agents to link reservations. I've been seated with couples a few times and we've got on well. I much prefer the formality of eating in the MDR.

Please don't think that people are judging you for being a solo traveller. A lot of people have expressed admiration that some of us do travel alone. I don't think we're 'brave', I just think we're living our lives to the full.

I've met a few guys who were jealous of the things that I got to do while they had to go along with whatever their family wanted to do. That's why I go solo. My family hasn't expressed any interest in cruising and the last time I went on a family vacation I didn't get to do hardly anything I wanted.

Some do judge. I've heard it with my headphones in and nothing playing on them. I'm not going to let that stop me from doing what I want to do but I don't want to end up at the dinner table with those people.

The problem with roll calls is they all tell you to join a facebook group. I don't necessarily want everyone on facebook to know my vacation plans.

I think that CC discourages directing people to other roll calls, esp. Facebook. I never put my trips on FB before I leave. You can be pretty anonymous on CC roll calls if you want. As I said, some are better than others, but I find most people are really nice.

Added: I just read that rest of your comments and it occurs to me that you're referring to roll calls outside of Cruise Critic. If so, I suggest you get involved with the Cruise Critic roll calls which have nothing to do with Facebook.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I think that CC discourages directing people to other roll calls, esp. Facebook. I never put my trips on FB before I leave. You can be pretty anonymous on CC roll calls if you want. As I said, some are better than others, but I find most people are really nice.

Added: I just read that rest of your comments and it occurs to me that you're referring to roll calls outside of Cruise Critic. If so, I suggest you get involved with the Cruise Critic roll calls which have nothing to do with Facebook.

I've signed up for those roll calls on all of my cruises. So far all they have been is people saying "I'm going." You can't post a link to Facebook groups so what people do is post "I created a Facebook group. Go on Facebook and search for Carnivial Xxxxx xxxx and join the group." And the only activity planning I've seen has been on those Facebook groups.

I've signed up for those roll calls on all of my cruises. So far all they have been is people saying "I'm going." You can't post a link to Facebook groups so what people do is post "I created a Facebook group. Go on Facebook and search for Carnivial Xxxxx xxxx and join the group." And the only activity planning I've seen has been on those Facebook groups.

I haven't had the experience you're having. Some roll calls are slow. There are a couple things. A lot of cruises that have mostly new cruisers tend to have slow CC roll calls because people don't know about CC. Cruises that have a lot of repeat cruisers tend to have slow roll calls as people seem to already know what they want to do and don't bother. Shorter cruises seem to have little interest in roll calls. I tend to go on longer cruises with sea days, so there is more interest in organizing activities. Or, for example, I'm going on one now that is super active because people are organizing private tours.

Hope you have fun on your cruises.

I just got off the Fascination in San Juan and enjoyed the MDR experience far better than the anytime dining with NCL The only issue I had though was the first night they had open seating and I got placed at a able with 9 other people that only spoke Spanish. Talk about uncomfortable. Luckily the waiter had them check my regular assigned table to make sure that I would sit with English speaking people.

CC makes it kind of hard for people to coordinate, with their overzealous attempts to prevent people from exchanging email addresses or PMs.

Cruise Critic doesn't prohibit you from giving out your email address.

The Private Messaging function has never worked but as for emails?

Lots of people exchange emails on here.

Once I was seated with a table of 5 other solos. Had a good time but late into the cruise we started talking about OJ going to jail. I said I wondered how he'd get along in prison and a retired postman said "What, he only killed a woman and a Jew." Everyone's jaw dropped!

Another time I was seated with a former patient traveling with a guy about 20 years older than she was. When he got his steak he put a ton of pepper on it and then started sneezing---all over the table. I handed him a napkin which he didn't use. He sneezed 20 times. It was just disgusting. I thought this is going to be a long week then said no way, and went straight to change tables.

Once I was seated with a table of 5 other solos. Had a good time but late into the cruise we started talking about OJ going to jail. I said I wondered how he'd get along in prison and a retired postman said "What, he only killed a woman and a Jew." Everyone's jaw dropped!

Another time I was seated with a former patient traveling with a guy about 20 years older than she was. When he got his steak he put a ton of pepper on it and then started sneezing---all over the table. I handed him a napkin which he didn't use. He sneezed 20 times. It was just disgusting. I thought this is going to be a long week then said no way, and went straight to change tables.

WOW:eek:...so you sat with a Bigot on one cruise:mad: and on your other

cruise he had no manners:(

I guess I'm weird in that I LIKE dining on my own.

I'm hoping that having made reservations for MTD for the same time every night I can get a table to myself in the same section with the same servers and not be the leftover at any random table.

I'm hoping for this as well to be honest. My sailing is 10 nights and right now I have 5 nights booked though MTD. This will be a port intensive sailing for me and I would like my dinner time to be quiet time. Not to say I'm not a social person, but dinner time I'd just like to be able to relax, unwind and people watch. I'll probably be doing specialty restaurants for the remainder of the nights. I've done those solo before and had a great time.

I am a fairly adventurous woman in my 50s, but dinner arrangements are always a cause for anxiety. My preference is for traditional dining at a large table. I've met some great people that way. The anytime dining is awkward. After reading some posts here, The NCL studios sound appealing. I might try that.

I agree that the Roll Calls are a great way of getting to know some people in advance.

I am a fairly adventurous woman in my 50s, but dinner arrangements are always a cause for anxiety. My preference is for traditional dining at a large table. I've met some great people that way. The anytime dining is awkward. After reading some posts here, The NCL studios sound appealing. I might try that.

All of NCL's ships offer anytime dining all the time. No tables are assigned unless you're made a reservation in one of their restaurants. I've seen many reports of single diners on NCL asking to dine with others and either not being accommodated or having a long wait before doing so.

Went on getaway in studio last December. I met many people never ate dinner alone. I still keep in contact with some I met. I had such a great time I'm going on the getaway again this December. You'll have a great time!

All of NCL's ships offer anytime dining all the time. No tables are assigned unless you're made a reservation in one of their restaurants. I've seen many reports of single diners on NCL asking to dine with others and either not being accommodated or having a long wait before doing so.

I had that problem on Jade - they just wouldn't seat me on a shared table if I went to the MDR alone. Generally speaking, I don't enjoy eating alone while I'm away. I do it almost every day at home!

The studios are completely different. The host will arrange a time for everyone to meet up and solo passengers go in a group. I did that, and sometimes went with others that I had met on board. I would recommend the studio system.

The problem with roll calls is they all tell you to join a facebook group. I don't necessarily want everyone on facebook to know my vacation plans.

That's never happened on one of my roll calls. Trying to send people to facebook is also specifically against Cruise Critic rules.

I had that problem on Jade - they just wouldn't seat me on a shared table if I went to the MDR alone. Generally speaking, I don't enjoy eating alone while I'm away. I do it almost every day at home!

QUOTE]

I was on the Jade in January & February & never had that problem. When I went in I told them I didn't mind sharing---they went ahead and seated me & if someone showed up in a few minutes who would share, they would bring them over---if not, then I ate alone

Just curios. On NCL they have the solo travelers group----NOT a singles group-NOT a mix it up, hook it up----just people who are traveling on their own. I usually go to that & there is always at least 1 or more other people who want to eat dinner. And then at least once, sometimes more, the entire group goes to dinner together. I've really met some neat people

Just curios. On NCL they have the solo travelers group----NOT a singles group-NOT a mix it up, hook it up----just people who are traveling on their own. I usually go to that & there is always at least 1 or more other people who want to eat dinner. And then at least once, sometimes more, the entire group goes to dinner together. I've really met some neat people

That was certainly the case on Epic. Jade was a completely different story, there was no interest in helping solo travellers.

That was certainly the case on Epic. Jade was a completely different story, there was no interest in helping solo travellers.

Hmmm, I was on the Jade in Jan & Feb. In Jan, I will admit---there wasn't really any organization. There was one man & myself who had been on other NCL ships and knew how it was "supposed" to work. We had dinner several nights, but then we talked to the guy who was supposed to be in charge of that program and gave him tips & ideas from other ships we have been on. I was back on the Jade in February-and a lot of those ideas had been implemented and there was a group of 8-10 of us most evenings. A lot of the success(or failure) of the program goes to having the right person in charge of it---and the support of the Cruise Director

Hmmm, I was on the Jade in Jan & Feb. In Jan, I will admit---there wasn't really any organization. There was one man & myself who had been on other NCL ships and knew how it was "supposed" to work. We had dinner several nights, but then we talked to the guy who was supposed to be in charge of that program and gave him tips & ideas from other ships we have been on. I was back on the Jade in February-and a lot of those ideas had been implemented and there was a group of 8-10 of us most evenings. A lot of the success(or failure) of the program goes to having the right person in charge of it---and the support of the Cruise Director

I hope it is better, but it really did put me off of NCL. I vowed never to sail NCL again, but was attracted by a good deal on Epic. I would never say never to sailing on other NCL ships, but it isn't the top of my list.

I have been solo cruising more and more. I'm what you would call an "extroverted introvert." I'm accustomed to spending time on my own and am content with my own company. But in a social situation, I have no problem starting up conversations with strangers.

I enjoyed the setup on the Norwegian Epic, where I always had the option of joining up with fellow solo cruisers for dinner. I've also met people in my roll calls that I've met up with for meals and excursions.

On other NCL ships with Freestyle dining but no solo program, I'm generally asked in the dining room if I'd like to sit with others. I generally say "yes," but I have also told them I'd like a table on my own. I love to read. On a ship, I'll carry my phone, iPad or book with me nearly everywhere.

Conversation is easy -- I ask lots of questions -- where are you from? Have you sailed before? What did you do today? What else do you have planned for excursions? Any future trips planned? And so on...

On the Carnival and Disney ships, they'll assign me to a table and it's a mixed bag (some solo cruisers, others may be groups of friends or couples), but the worst I can say about some of my table mates is that they are "interesting." I've never had anyone rude, exceptionally loud, overly forward, or fall-down drunk as table companions. So I guess I've been lucky!

Do you think it is easier for solo women than for men? thought others might be more comfortable with a single woman than with a man

Hard to say. It might be more of a personality thing?

I get dirty looks when I chat up husbands - talking birding or wood working or such; and then I have to watch it if I talk to men on their own. I happen to like to chat to men as much or moreso than women - with no ulterior motives; so I seem to have to walk a tight rope often enough.

I do hear that men are often more insecure on their own in social interactions. I don't know. And I expect they also have to watch that they aren't perceived as having ulterior motives in discussions with women.

I think it is just a complex social world out there, but we can either chose to be nervous about it and not put ourselves out there to be friendly, or we just be friendly and backpedal the few times it backfires. I think you lose out if always afraid of how people will react to you.

Hard to say. It might be more of a personality thing?

I get dirty looks when I chat up husbands - talking birding or wood working or such; and then I have to watch it if I talk to men on their own. I happen to like to chat to men as much or moreso than women - with no ulterior motives; so I seem to have to walk a tight rope often enough.

I do hear that men are often more insecure on their own in social interactions. I don't know. And I expect they also have to watch that they aren't perceived as having ulterior motives in discussions with women.

I think it is just a complex social world out there, but we can either chose to be nervous about it and not put ourselves out there to be friendly, or we just be friendly and backpedal the few times it backfires. I think you lose out if always afraid of how people will react to you.

I'm the same. I actually prefer to talk to men moreso -nothing against women but I'm a sports junkie and there have been times I interject if I here a conversation going on. But, in respect to their partner, I will end the conversation if they seem uncomfortable.