Dining - for me the most difficult part of soloing

Winchester Ranger

I travel solo, and I enjoy sitting at large tables meeting a variety of people, last time however I arrived on the first night at the MDR and sat on my own, chatting with a couple on the table next to me, the maitre d' explained that it was probably because there was a lightshow as we were leaving port, the next night the same again nobody on a table of 6 apart from me.

It turns out that because the table was near the doors the other people on the table had requested changes and nobody had noticed that left me on my own till I was solo for two nights. Well they said they would rearrange it and a friend who I had met on board said his table had a spare space so I joined them for the remainder and had a great time.

I was lucky on QM2. My tablemates requested a smaller table because there were only four of us on a large table. I got to the dining room, and a waiter stopped me and directed me to the new table where my tablemates were sitting.

One just can't count on being seated with others in the MDR nowadays. Sure, your assigned table may include other people, but maybe they eat at the buffet all the time, or in specialty restaurants all the time, or, like this example, they didn't want to sit at their designated table.

Very true. I've been cruising for about five years, most of the time solo, and my experience in the MDR has deteriorated. On my last cruise in January (on RC Brilliance of the Seas), I had the late seating, at a table for ten. The first night it was me and two couples. No one spoke to me. They just talked to each other -- in French. I looked around and couldn't believe how many empty tables there were. I spent the rest of the week in the buffet for dinner and was hardly alone. I'm noticing more and more people having dinner at the buffet.

In some ways, it's too bad. On one of my most enjoyable cruises (Canada/New England) I was at a table of ten and it was great. We all got along so well that I looked forward to seeing them for dinner every night.

I've only done one solo cruise and did have a challenge with the dining situation. I would up booking the specialty steak restaurant for 3 nights on the cruise because they took such good care of me. for the other nights I joined the traditional dining table that had been assigned to me with 5 other solo cruisers but it was TERRIBLY uncomfortable. We had very little to talk about and they thought that the incredibly delicious Indian Vegetarian entrée I selected was "smelly." To each his own :)

Best to Worst:

1) Good Tablemates

2) Eating Alone

3) Bad Tablemates

I've had all kinds of dining experiences. If you enjoy dining alone, no problem-- all cruise lines will have some sort of flexible dining option -- just pick that one and when you show up, ask for a table for two, and dine alone. I've never had this request denied.

I enjoy sharing stories at dinnertime with interesting people. What I've learned is that if you show up at an empty table, or worse, have horrible tablemates, IMMEDIATELY go see the maitre' d and get switched to a different table that's more to your liking. I used to waste time "trying to make it work", but it never does. If you're not compatible with your tablemates, it will not get better over time. Cut your losses and move to a better table!

Joe

After reading thistthread,t here is little chanc e I will choose to sail solo. Since my DHpased, , I cruised with friends ( a coup[le) but I will not consider sharing a cabin with a girl friend. I'll give up cruising before I do that.

Edited by sail7seas

After reading thistthread,t here is little chanc e I will choose to sail solo. Since my DHpased, , I cruised with friends ( a coup[le) but I will not consider sharing a cabin with a girl friend. I'll give up cruising before I do that.

Oh, my -- don't know what here is making you say that, but I hope giving up cruising is not set in stone.

Since my husband's passing in 2014, I've done a mom/daughter cruise (4 of us in a suite & I felt sorry for our cabin steward), a girlfriend cruise (she and I had never spent more than an evening out together before that cruise, but we discussed being considerate cabin mates and have since sailed again) and sailed solo. Would still rather sail with my husband, but I'm glad I didn't give up cruising!

After reading thistthread,t here is little chance I will choose to sail solo. Since my DHpased, , I cruised with friends ( a coup[le) but I will not consider sharing a cabin with a girl friend. I'll give up cruising before I do that.

Hi, I would not let this thread deter you from sailing solo. It is one

thread after all. I have seen many of your posts over the years and I

gather you love cruising:)

My condolences on your Husband's death...........

As for dining and the like......I love cruising solo and sometimes it brings

challenges (the dining thing;) but it would never stop me from going solo.

As for sharing a cabin...for the first time in many years, I am sharing

one in October....sailing with my sister. We get along pretty well so

I am hoping we have fun. It will just be very different for me since I

am always going on my own.

We are sailing out of Boston.......are you a Bostonian? We are planning

to eat Italian pre cruise......have you heard of Limoncello's in the North

End?

Oh, my -- don't know what here is making you say that, but I hope giving up cruising is not set in stone.

Since my husband's passing in 2014, I've done a mom/daughter cruise (4 of us in a suite & I felt sorry for our cabin steward), a girlfriend cruise (she and I had never spent more than an evening out together before that cruise, but we discussed being considerate cabin mates and have since sailed again) and sailed solo. Would still rather sail with my husband, but I'm glad I didn't give up cruising!

Hi, I missed your reply before I posted....Happy to see this too:)

If the poster loves to cruise, I hope she will still at least give it a chance

solo.

So for my summary of solo dining - well, as Thomas Edison so famously said - opportunity is missed by most people because it arrives in overalls and looks like work. Well solo dining is a little bit like that - yes there is the possibility that you could end up sat at a table of unpleasant characters, but if you are willing to work at it you can, and will, find some great company onboard, and the absolute worst thing you can do is hide away from view. If you want to be assured of solo company the transatlantic voyages are a sure thing, as they are used by many as a means of traveling, not cruising.

I was assigned to a wonderful table on my first solo cruise. Like you I found it a bit of work, requiring a bit of steel in my spine. Also like you, I think of that group with great fondness many years later :)

• 3 weeks later...

I always make it a point when at a social gathering where there are couples, to focus on the wives and make conversation with them. If my widowed status comes up (which I try to mention only in passing, unlike my mother, who would begin every introduction with "I lost my husband"), I try to say something like "my husband passed away three years ago, and I'm building a new life...I'm glad for the years we had but I'm not looking for another one" -- and usually that defuses any discomfort. Or I say "We were happy but I'm enjoying my freedom too" or something like that.

A lot depends on how your boundaries are. Some women are very threatened by any women talking to their husbands, but wives who are not overly insecure know boundary crossing when they see it. I know it's one more thing we have to deal with, but it's important, especially if we travel alone and don't want to spend the entire trip with our noses buried in a book.

For me the big issue is meals. I already have issues eating in public because I am overweight (because in our society, overweight people are not allowed to eat anything but salad), but I just don't enjoy sitting in a restaurant alone. I can do it if I am traveling for business and I bring a book, but I find it an unpleasant experience. However, what's MORE unpleasant is sitting alone at a table full of people and no one will talk to you.

On my last solo cruise I had a similar experience. 8 top table with myself and two others. I always use the MDR, but not everyone else does. I was actually embarrassed, sitting at a table for 8, alone, for two dinners. Although I don't think it was personal, as I am friendly, and shower regularly, it was no fun.

I always make it a point when at a social gathering where there are couples, to focus on the wives and make conversation with them. If my widowed status comes up (which I try to mention only in passing, unlike my mother, who would begin every introduction with "I lost my husband"), I try to say something like "my husband passed away three years ago, and I'm building a new life...I'm glad for the years we had but I'm not looking for another one" -- and usually that defuses any discomfort. Or I say "We were happy but I'm enjoying my freedom too" or something like that.

A lot depends on how your boundaries are. Some women are very threatened by any women talking to their husbands, but wives who are not overly insecure know boundary crossing when they see it. I know it's one more thing we have to deal with, but it's important, especially if we travel alone and don't want to spend the entire trip with our noses buried in a book.

For me the big issue is meals. I already have issues eating in public because I am overweight (because in our society, overweight people are not allowed to eat anything but salad), but I just don't enjoy sitting in a restaurant alone. I can do it if I am traveling for business and I bring a book, but I find it an unpleasant experience. However, what's MORE unpleasant is sitting alone at a table full of people and no one will talk to you.

I met a smoker who was a really nice man. He was about 70 y/o and we would talk about all kinds of things. He was very entertaining. Said he was with his wife. On the 4th day I saw a woman sitting with him and I was a bit jealous. When I sat down he introduced her as his wife. She was in her 40's. She didn't stay long. Never saw her again. We really bonded and had a great time talking.

Wow. I'm in the minority here. Solo cruising to me means solo dining. I don't want to eat with other people. Grab some food from the buffet and I'm done.

I'm there with you. I've never eaten in the MDR. This time I signed up for your time dining and I may get there right when they open and see if I can get a table for one. But I'm not going to a table for 10 with 9 people I don't know. I'll be in the buffet if that's my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm there with you. I've never eaten in the MDR. This time I signed up for your time dining and I may get there right when they open and see if I can get a table for one. But I'm not going to a table for 10 with 9 people I don't know. I'll be in the buffet if that's my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I'll do a table by myself. I have no interest in eating with random strangers. Especially in an election year!

I was happy that others said it's ok to read in the dining room if solo (I am in early 60's, and had been taught that it was rude to read in a dining room...I am thrilled that's one of the things that has changed!). I was put in My Time dining again on my next solo RCL cruise. I'll ask if they have shared tables because I like meeting other people, but I'll also be more prepared to dine alone happily with my Kindle if that's the way it ends up. Last time I wasn't prepared to be put at a table by myself, but this time I'll be ready!

Tura Lura - I laughed when I read your posting! Yes, the old rules about staying away from religion and politics are going to be tested this year. I have an opinion of one of the candidates, based on personal experiences with that person when I was much younger. One of my kids has met the other candidate. Everyone in my workplace is very passionate about the election this year. I just got back from a short vacation in Europe, and got an earful from citizens of other countries about our candidates. However, your comment was very astute. I WILL ZIP IT ON MY UPCOMING CRUISE, even if someone else brings up politics. I will not wear a candidate t-shirt, and I will not put a sign on my cabin door! (I make this promise to myself, and to my fellow cruisers - LOL). There should be a handout at check-in, that political discussions are not permitted on ships this year!

Edited by Truluv

I am not a big Facebook user but I am pretty sure that groups and regular 'friends' don't see each other. If this is a group that you join for your Roll Call, your regular FB friends won't see what is being planned. Ask a friend, relative, or any 15 year old in your neighbourhood and they most likely can set you straight.

However if they all want you to 'friend', then your life is an open book.

in my short experience, I've found that some roll calls are more active on CC and other times, the social media roll calls are more active.

Some people are on social media more &/or daily and prefer the expediency of being able to be on the ready- easier to start one thread on one topic (tours, etc) and everyone (who is interested ) responds to that thread in one place,- instead of having to scroll back and forth.

It's whatever you're more comfortable with.

On CC, you can put your contact information (email address in your profile) or not and may prefer the privacy.

Back to the topic, in my 3 cruises as a solo, I've done anytime dining only and enjoyed it 50% of the time, which means I've met some interesting characters though, in every instance, people had made plans and were anxious to leave-or I was the one who was anxious to leave the table.

I'll attempt traditional dining during my upcoming cruise, for the experience.

Comments about not wanting to eat with random strangers make me smile.

I travelled to meet up with two 'random strangers' that I met on Adventure of the Seas a few years ago. Sadly one of our group couldn't make it due to a bad fall.

Random strangers can become good friends.

Comments about not wanting to eat with random strangers make me smile.

I travelled to meet up with two 'random strangers' that I met on Adventure of the Seas a few years ago. Sadly one of our group couldn't make it due to a bad fall.

Random strangers can become good friends.

Yeah I just don't want to meet them at dinner where you're stuck with awkward conversation for a whole meal. If I meet someone around the ship and hit it off, great, but not somewhere I can't just leave when I want. I hate dinner small talk.

Yeah I just don't want to meet them at dinner where you're stuck with awkward conversation for a whole meal. If I meet someone around the ship and hit it off, great, but not somewhere I can't just leave when I want. I hate dinner small talk.

Interesting. One of the things I like about cruising solo is having others to eat with. I detest eating alone in a restaurant. I've had some very good times with traditional dining tablemates.

Interesting. One of the things I like about cruising solo is having others to eat with. I detest eating alone in a restaurant. I've had some very good times with traditional dining tablemates.

I just bring a kindle. I'm fine eating on my own. If I meet people and then decide to go with them to dinner, fine. I just don't want to meet people for the first time at the dinner table. That's painfully awkward.

I'm a 71 year old solo cruiser. I did 4 B2B cruises (5 weeks) this Spring. (First time as a solo)

I started out on MTD, and asked for a large table. They could not do that at that time, and I ate alone. I asked for a large table for the rest of the cruise, and they only had late fixed time dining, so I changed, and what a pleasant experience it was! I changed the rest of the cruises to the late large table dining too. Not all the groups bonded, but we always had good conversation and laughs. Some tables had favorite meeting spots before dinner in the Centrum, and some didn't. But I was always running into some of my table mates on the ship, and it was nice to see a familiar face to say hello to. I also ate breakfast and lunch a fair number of times in the Dining Room, and as the head waiter knew I preferred larger tables, I was always shown to one without asking. Sometimes people start talking (I always say hello first thing) and sometimes it takes a while, but met some really interesting people. Sometimes it was just nice to listen to the conversations around me. All in all a pleasant experience. I truly enjoy my alone time on a cruise, and even with a roommate last year, we both did many things separately. It would take something special to cruise any other way now. I LOVE solo cruising!!:)

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks but I agree with you wholeheartedly. Which is one reason I prefer NCL because solo cruising seems to be of some importance to the cruise line. It doesn't matter if it's a ship with Studios or not because there is always a host to facilitate the process.

I like my dinners to be an experience. If I eat alone, I tend to just want to get it over with. When with others it tends to be methodical and more meaningful.

What I have experienced also is that I tend to eat very few other (breakfast/lunch) meals alone. It is not by design but it happens in the buffet quite a bit. Someone waves for me to join them or I recognize someone who has empty chairs at their table. Other times I may have a table alone and a shipboard acquaintance would asked if they could join me.

I have found that an advantage to dining with solos as a group, I can position myself to sit closer to those that I have what I would call a "conversational affinity."

Edited by IrieBajan54