Have you ever considered living on a cruise ship

W8tn2sail

While reading the thread about world cruise expenses I began to wonder if any couple on this board had considered living on a cruise ship full time or at least part of the year. Retirement homes can cost (at least in my area) 4-6K a month for a couple. Which HAL dept. would be the contact for such information?

While reading the thread about world cruise expenses I began to wonder if any couple on this board had considered living on a cruise ship full time or at least part of the year. Retirement homes can cost (at least in my area) 4-6K a month for a couple. Which HAL dept. would be the contact for such information?

There is a lady from New York who lives full time on a cruise ship (not sure but it is either Crystal, Regent, or Seabourn). She worked out that the upkeep on her large plush NY apartment, together with food and staffing costs (their healthcare etc.), was not economic. So she rents out her apartment and uses the money to fund the cruise. The most important elements were food, service, laundry etc, but above this was meeting some wonderful people to talk to and enjoy their company, which in NY is almost impossible if you are of a certain age.

She is having the time of her life. Plus many dollars better off.

Speak to HAL, they will be supportive. Think there may be a discount available.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

There is a lady from New York who lives full time on a cruise ship (not sure but it is either Crystal, Regent, or Seabourn). She worked out that the upkeep on her large plush NY apartment, together with food and staffing costs (their healthcare etc.), was not economic. So she rents out her apartment and uses the money to fund the cruise. The most important elements were food, service, laundry etc, but above this was meeting some wonderful people to talk to and enjoy their company, which in NY is almost impossible if you are of a certain age.

Wouldn't it be nice if cruise lines offered something like monthly or multimonth rates on select ships/areas etc? If a daily rate averaged $100 per person per day double that would be about $6000 a month plus tips and taxes. Would be nice if they had some kind of discounted monthly rates for singles. $5000 per month plus taxes/tips for a single inside?

I bet they would get a lot of takers.

I am pretty sure she is on Crystal. We will be spending a lot of time on a ship next year, not the full year but over eight months.

Wouldn't it be nice if cruise lines offered something like monthly or multimonth rates on select ships/areas etc? If a daily rate averaged $100 per person per day double that would be about $6000 a month plus tips and taxes. Would be nice if they had some kind of discounted monthly rates for singles. $5000 per month plus taxes/tips for a single inside?

I bet they would get a lot of takers.

With a little flexibility and a willingness to spend the occasional week ashore and move among various cruise lines it's quite possible to find guarantee cabins for $500/wk p/p especially if -- for instance -- one bases out of Fort Lauderdale in the winter and Vancouver/Seattle or Venice/Rome/Amsterdam in the summer.

While they can not stop you, I am sure that the cruise lines do not like to make these arrangements. I am certain that a full time live aboard person spends less money on board than a normal passenger and the cruise lines count on that on board spending.

DON

We have certainly thought about it as an alternative to retirement home. It makes sense financially, and sounds like a LOT more fun than staying in one place all the time.

We were on the Z'dam Jan, 2014 and there was a couple from Canada who had been on since early Sept and were going home for 2 weeks to take care of some business then re-boarding for another 3 months.

Being from northern climes, I've often said I'd be very happy getting on Jan 1 and heading home Apr 1, but my wife gets pretty restless. There is also a young granddaughter that we find it hard to be away from for very long. And then there's Stanley, my Labradoodle,...probably cost prohibitive to train him as a cocktail-fetching service dog.

Edited by blizzardboy

We were onthe Z'dam Jan, 2014 and there was a couple who had been on since Sept and were going home for 2 weeks to take care of business then re-boarding.

Being from northern climes, I've often said I'd be very happy getting on Jan 1 and heading home Apr 1, but my wife gets pretty restless. There are also young grandkids that we find it hard to be away from for very long. Then there's my Labradoodle...probably cost prohibitive to train him as a cocktail-fetching service dog.

No, but the Labrador side would probably be amenable to become a very good dishwasher.:D

There was a gigantic thread on the Solos board some years back started by Musicus (?). He was an elderly gentleman who decided to live aboard MSC and was able to set a contract with them. He has since passed. He did have some issues when he became ill and had to be hospitalized and recover in another country.

I have thought about the possibility when I get to that age. A cruise line, like any business likes to have projected revenue. If I as a customer approach them with a 1 year contract, payment terms, etc. They would look at it as any business terms. Knowing that one cabin is paid for for a year would be one less cabin they must fill. The fees on CC transactions for a weekly cruise would make them think that a one time or quarterly ACH payment would save major money for someone that wants to be on for 52 weeks.

No, but the Labrador side would probably be amenable to become a very good dishwasher.:D

He opens drawers, doors, and they had to change the security gates at the kennel he plays and stays at after he figured them out and led several jail breaks. They had to go to the security camera footage to figure out how the play-area kept being vacated. He'd figure out how to get in the galley walk-in coolers in short order, so dish washing is out.

I have thought about the possibility when I get to that age. A cruise line, like any business likes to have projected revenue. If I as a customer approach them with a 1 year contract, payment terms, etc. They would look at it as any business terms. Knowing that one cabin is paid for for a year would be one less cabin they must fill. The fees on CC transactions for a weekly cruise would make them think that a one time or quarterly ACH payment would save major money for someone that wants to be on for 52 weeks.

HAL would probably want a "Charter Bump" clause, if all the cruises I've had affected by them are any indication.

When you find out, be sure to post... Sounds like a plan to me!! Single, all grandchildren grown, no great grandbabies on the horizon, no pets, and no health issues. Count me in!!!

There was a passenger in Cunard's old CARONIA. Lived on board for closeto 18 years. Left the ship only went into drydock.

There was also one lady who lived on board QE2 for many years. It went with the good and the bad. If money is no problem... sure why not. Way to go is own an apartment on board 'The World'. Might call several millions though.

yes but she is in a single ocean view room paying approx 13666 a month....if it were double occupancy it might be "only" 6800 per person per month...and crystal is all inclusive and no doubt a "cut above" the Holland America standards.

Actually not bad deal for the very elegant crystal serenity....good for her....

I hwve no dersire to liv on w ship.[/b]

In the Penthouse? Sure! Bring my own waitress, stewardess and also a chef.... they can live in the three of the Neptune Suites. ;)

One couple in QE2 used to book TWO full world cruise penthouses. Husband and wife lived in one and the other penthouse was for friends to come along for the world cruise for segments. Large table in Queen's Grill privately for them and their guests. The gentleman was dressed for every meal. Tile and jacket for breakfast and lunch... formal every evening.

Maybe in my next life. (a girl can dream.) <sigh>

When I sailed on the Royal Viking Sea I met up with a woman who lived on that ship; her name was Grace. When the line sold the ship, all I could think was that she had lost her home.