The Roast Beef Sandwich Cult

On these Boards I have been hearing so much about these Roast Beef Sandwiches from Park Café (I think), that I have to have one or 2.

On Embark Day, I was thinking about going straight to Park Café for lunch and getting one of those sandwiches. Since this sandwich seems to have a cult following, I am picturing mobs of people standing in line at Park Café waiting to bow down in front of this Roast Beef Sandwiches' alter. My question; is going the first thing for lunch on Embark Day a good idea or should I wait a while since I am in no real hurry to join this cult just yet ;) ?

If you can get to Park Cafe within about 15 minutes of when boarding starts, you should be OK, Otherwise, I'd wait until after 1:30pm. Crowds seem to die down after the staterooms open.

Thanks. Can you make it there in 15 minutes?

Sure, we've done it. You probably have more that 15 minutes. Just walk by and if the line is out the door and there are no tables left, come back after 1:30pm.

Edited by clarea

I like them. I will say, I had one on Serenade in March and it was the best EVER! Really tender and delicious. But part of it is the bread. It's roast beef on a roll, but it's pretty good. Heck, it's free. Give it a try. If you don't like it, get something else. :)

The last time I tried one they had completely ruined the sandwich by having some kind of nasty gravy instead of the au jus that they usually serve with it. It was awful.

Sometimes you will get an "end" piece that can be fatty or grissly...yuk...I just throw that one in the trash and go back later. But with the new gravy-thing they aren't even worth having.

On these Boards I have been hearing so much about these Roast Beef Sandwiches from Park Café (I think), that I have to have one or 2.

Yes, it does have a cult following and I always wondered...how could a roast beef sandwich possibly be so darn good?

Then I tried one.

I'm still wondering about the cult following. ;)

The last time I tried one they had completely ruined the sandwich by having some kind of nasty gravy instead of the au jus that they usually serve with it. It was awful.

Sometimes you will get an "end" piece that can be fatty or grissly...yuk...I just throw that one in the trash and go back later. But with the new gravy-thing they aren't even worth having.

Is the new gravy thing a permanent change?

I did not like it at all. I took a couple bites and left it on my plate:( tough and fatty. My husband who is a big beef eater ate his but never talked about it again. Said it was just ok. And I was really excited about it after hearing all the hoopla. Big disappointment. Oh well at least we tried it

I did not like it at all. I took a couple bites and left it on my plate:( tough and fatty. My husband who is a big beef eater ate his but never talked about it again. Said it was just ok. And I was really excited about it after hearing all the hoopla. Big disappointment. Oh well at least we tried it

Amen!! I tried one on the Radiance this past summer and honestly could not see what the big deal was. It's bread and meat. I ended up putting some of the gravy on the buffet on the meat and pitching the roll to at least not waste the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's only a sandwich.

Which is to say you should just try it- it's not as if the effort is that big- if you don't like it, leave it. If you like it, great.

I like it a lot- and have gotten it a few days on some trips.

One of Super Mario's suggestions is to at least try things once on a cruise. This is one of those things.

I tried the honey sung chicken, and didn't like it much, but I still tried it. Others love it.

Go for it!

On Embark Day, I was thinking about going straight to Park Café for lunch and getting one of those sandwiches. Since this sandwich seems to have a cult following, I am picturing mobs of people standing in line at Park Café waiting to bow down in front of this Roast Beef Sandwiches' alter. My question; is going the first thing for lunch on Embark Day a good idea or should I wait a while since I am in no real hurry to join this cult just yet ;) ?

We just got off Allure and it is not worth the wait on embarkation day. I went there on day two because I was drawn in by the "cult" following. It is a good sandwich, but I went back there or walked by there several other times during the cruise and there was nobody in line for the sandwich. I could have gotten one but I didn't...just saying. The longest lines were for the salad bar. You should try the sandwich though and decide for yourself.

There's a local sandwich shop in my town that makes them. It's my all time favorite sandwich. They make the bread in house, and the roast beef is thin sliced and dipped in au jus, as well as served with a side of it. They have creamy and fresh horseradish, but I'm no fan. I just get some swiss cheese and a side of their homemade potato chips with a side of homemade ranch. All that being said, the Park Cafe sandwich is pretty good too. I just wish they didn't slice the meat so thick. The fat bits are too large then. But do yourself a favor and if you see it on the menu somewhere else, give it a try.

My first experience with the roast beef sandwich was on our Oasis/Allure trip 5 years ago. They were absolutely fabulous. Then, 3 years ago, we went on Legend, with the new Park Cafe, and the sandwiches were just ok. This past February, on Serenade, again, they were just ok. I am thinking as mentioned, the quality of the roast beef has drastically declined over the years (as has many other aspects of cruising). I do love the mini packets of the Lays potato chips as a snack. Miss the Au jus that used to be served, the gravy is not even close!

Hoping maybe they are still good on Oasis when we go in September!

Edited by debshomespun

Tried it on Oasis, threw most of it out, way over rated.