The Roast Beef Sandwich Cult

I enjoyed the Kummelweck sandwich an hour ago on the Allure [emoji41]

4467d6dc55525784c459e80459fb7613.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that looks really good.

My first one I ever had was on the Oasis and it was just gross, full of fat, yuk! Threw it out.

My second one I had was on the Harmony and what a difference, it was great and looked just like the one in Robyn's picture.

Don't give up on them after your first try because the good ones are yummy.

can any recent Oasis guests comment on gravy vs. jus?

We were on Harmony in Feb and the beef on weck had the wonderful, delicious, original au jus back !! I guess it just depends on who is making them.

See, the problem is, that's not a beef on weck.

A kummelweck roll has salt and caraway seeds. That bun in Robyn's picture has a couple of caraway seeds , but no salt. The meat should be rare, thin cut.

We had one when we sailed Oasis a few years ago. My sister, BIL and niece all went to college in Buffalo so we've gone up and back many times over the years. Talked the kids into trying it. No one liked it at all. Thick slabs, over done, and the buns just weren't up to what we are used to getting.

This time on Allure, we didn't even bother.

But for some, it's delicious. I'd recommend trying it and seeing if you like it.

I think the sandwiches are way over rated around here. I never even had one when we were last on Oasis in January.

Agreed - Ok but not worth racing in to get. Windjammer has much wider lunch choice. If the carving station has roast beef - get some and make your own.

I think the sandwiches are way over rated around here. I never even had one when we were last on Oasis in January.

After the 6 we each had day one on Harmony...we'd pretty much have to respectfully disagree. Those beef sandwiches are one of the things we really look forward to early into a cruise. Looking at many others also indulging with them (one guy had a tray carrying 12 of them for his table in Central Park)...there are plenty of folks who don't find them the least bit over-rated.

After the 6 we each had day one on Harmony...we'd pretty much have to respectfully disagree. Those beef sandwiches are one of the things we really look forward to early into a cruise. Looking at many others also indulging with them (one guy had a tray carrying 12 of them for his table in Central Park)...there are plenty of folks who don't find them the least bit over-rated.

That is why I began my post with "I think".

I had my first one on Allure six weeks ago. Ocean Boy is right -- way over rated.

Ditto.... I was so excited and was there at exactly the right time, imagine my chagrin when I bit into this over rated sandwich and there was a bunch of sinew or gristle in the very dry meat. I can take it or leave it, don't get all the excitement over it.

If you can get to Park Cafe within about 15 minutes of when boarding starts, you should be OK, Otherwise, I'd wait until after 1:30pm. Crowds seem to die down after the staterooms open.

Bob is exactly right in regard to Oasis class ships. My last cruise on Oasis was our first as Diamond as we got in quickly and were finishing up as the lines got long. On two previous cruises we went down 45 minutes before Muster and walked right in and grabbed a couple this was perfect since we had late seating.

Bob is exactly right in regard to Oasis class ships. My last cruise on Oasis was our first as Diamond as we got in quickly and were finishing up as the lines got long. On two previous cruises we went down 45 minutes before Muster and walked right in and grabbed a couple this was perfect since we had late seating.

In our case...we stopped at Park Cafe on Harmony after boarding even before our cabin was ready...and got ours.

About 30 minutes later...there were more than 30 people in line for these sandwiches, and when we left a few minutes later, the line was even longer...

I think it's like any meat. Sometimes you'll get a tough cut but in most cases it's pretty good. Not a member of the cult but usually have a couple every cruise.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree. Also, I think compared to a lot of "cruise ship food", these sandwiches are a notch or two above in most cases.:)

I had my first one on Allure six weeks ago. Ocean Boy is right -- way over rated.

First time I had one I thought I must have been eating the wrong thing because it was VERY underwhelming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm going on Oasis on sunday and like I do with every Oasis class cruise, I'll get on about noon and go straight to Park Cafe for two sammiches. When I go there is little or no line.

If I'm feeling the roast beef sammich during the cruise I'll get an early or light breakfast and go to Park Cafe around 1130 and again there's seldom a line.

I don't think this meat is either prime or choice. I have had it where it's ok ,take it or leave it, or was so chewy after one bite in the trash it went. The rolls are fine. I think it varies day to day and cruise to cruise, and the chef and the one slicing.

Edited by setsail

Now that looks really good.

My first one I ever had was on the Oasis and it was just gross, full of fat, yuk! Threw it out.

My second one I had was on the Harmony and what a difference, it was great and looked just like the one in Robyn's picture.

Don't give up on them after your first try because the good ones are yummy.

Agreed 100%!

The first one on boarding day was awful! Full of fat and not chewable.

Glad I tried again [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk