Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

You can't believe everything you read. However, I was reading comments on a news source out of Texas and a woman commented that her friend is onboard. She reported that they had a man in custody because he pushed her over. ??? Don't know how true this is. Someone also posted her husband said they had found her body.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I really feel bad for this lady and her family. I am not here to speculate on what may have happened, but I am personally struggling to understand how she could have simply fallen overboard.

I'm also not sure why there is so much confusion on this thread about Man Overboard systems. I found this interesting article from last year about the state of the industry with respect to MOB systems.

http://www.ship-technology.com/features/featuresound-the-alarm-should-man-overboard-detection-tech-be-fitted-on-cruise-ships-4583685/

I have sailed Disney a few times and I am aware they have MOB systems on their ships. It seems that in this case nobody knew the lady was missing until several hours later. Successful rescue requires nearly immediate notification someone has entered the water. Understanding that an MOB system can generate false positives, they will never be improved if they don't start getting more widespread use. That's how technology evolves.

I'm not worried about me falling overboard but I do like to spend my money with a cruise line that is innovative and at least makes a good attempt at improving such a horrific situation. Maybe if there were more of an outcry from passengers the cruise lines would start doing something. All these new ships ... Do any except the Disney ships have MOB systems?

I really feel bad for this lady and her family. I am not here to speculate on what may have happened, but I am personally struggling to understand how she could have simply fallen overboard.

I'm also not sure why there is so much confusion on this thread about Man Overboard systems. I found this interesting article from last year about the state of the industry with respect to MOB systems.

http://www.ship-technology.com/features/featuresound-the-alarm-should-man-overboard-detection-tech-be-fitted-on-cruise-ships-4583685/

I have sailed Disney a few times and I am aware they have MOB systems on their ships. It seems that in this case nobody knew the lady was missing until several hours later. Successful rescue requires nearly immediate notification someone has entered the water. Understanding that an MOB system can generate false positives, they will never be improved if they don't start getting more widespread use. That's how technology evolves.

I'm not worried about me falling overboard but I do like to spend my money with a cruise line that is innovative and at least makes a good attempt at improving such a horrific situation. Maybe if there were more of an outcry from passengers the cruise lines would start doing something. All these new ships ... Do any except the Disney ships have MOB systems?

The problem being no matter how new they are no MOB system is full proof. There have been reports that after she was reported missing Carnival found video of her falling over board, and yes for now will assume she fell. So the Liberty could have a MOB system that simple didn't catch it. Hard to say that if it dosn't that would have made any difference.

You don't simply "fall off" a cruise ship. Hopefully a crime wasn't committed here though, we have no clue yet what happened. I know for myself I wouldn't be out at 2 am presumably without my husband (EVEN if I was on a girls trip). I still feel strongly that cruising is very safe. I have read about most of the missing person cases on cruise ships and the vast majority of the time people were acting irresponsibly. Getting crazy drunk, jumping from one balcony to the next, sleeping with crew members, sleeping with strangers, or just plain said they were jumping beforehand. There are a handful of suspicious cases where the cruise lines clearly hid info though. With that said, I still feel extremely safe taking my family on cruises-bad things happen everywhere. The media for some odd reason LOVES to roast the cruise industry. Look at the numbers, cruising is statistically safe. We act cautiously as we would on any vacation. I hope they figure out what happened to this poor woman. She has a family and husband. No one has said anything about suicide yet. Oh and the first hand report of the announcement "you are not in trouble, you can come out if you here us" is odd to say the least.

Edited by missholly24

If Carnival has a video of the woman falling overboard' date=' why didn't they immediately do a rescue search in the water not in every cabin?

Do they have staff monitoring video cameras? :rolleyes:[/quote']

No, they do not, and they should not need to either. Obviously without an automatic "MOB" system, they will need to be notified and then review the video.

Let's face some reality here, folks, you just don't fall off a ship. It is typically a willful act, or one where the person (often due to alcohol) puts themselves in a position where they could fall off.

Another thing: You are jumping / falling off a ship at a height of perhaps 75-100 feet. Your body is also moving at the speed of the ship when you hit the water.

Yes, water seems "soft" when you jump in your swimming pool, but at higher heights, and when your body is also moving, you might as well be jumping on to a concrete slab. You will be lucky to survive the fall, though a small minority have, and have been rescued. Otherwise, you will either die instantly, or be knocked unconscious. Next comes drowning. Your body floats or goes to the bottom, never to be found.

Remember, it is not the fall that kills you, it is the sudden stop.

Thoughts, wishes, prayers and hopes aside; she is gone, and likely resting at the bottom. She will not be found.

As an aviator for over 40 years, and also knowledgeable about ships, I am very pragmatic when it comes to this stuff.

The reality is: Even if Carnival had someone watching the video 24/7, the result would likely be the same.

Sorry if many of you think I am callous or of a cold heart- I am not!:cool:

If Carnival has a video of the woman falling overboard' date=' why didn't they immediately do a rescue search in the water not in every cabin?

Have you read the thread? It was hours before anyone reported someone potentially missing. Many miles had been covered. Maybe the person was still on board, so a search was initiated. Then there would be hours of checking recordings on several cameras to see anything happening.

No, they do not, and they should not need to either. Obviously without an automatic "MOB" system, they will need to be notified and then review the video.

Let's face some reality here, folks, you just don't fall off a ship. It is typically a willful act, or one where the person (often due to alcohol) puts themselves in a position where they could fall off.

Another thing: You are jumping / falling off a ship at a height of perhaps 75-100 feet. Your body is also moving at the speed of the ship when you hit the water.

Yes, water seems "soft" when you jump in your swimming pool, but at higher heights, and when your body is also moving, you might as well be jumping on to a concrete slab. You will be lucky to survive the fall, though a small minority have, and have been rescued. Otherwise, you will either die instantly, or be knocked unconscious. Next comes drowning. Your body floats or goes to the bottom, never to be found.

Thoughts, wishes, prayers and hopes aside; she is gone, and likely resting at the bottom. She will not be found.

As an aviator for over 40 years, and also knowledgeable about ships, I am very pragmatic when it comes to this stuff.

The reality is: Even if Carnival had someone watching the video 24/7, the result would likely be the same.

Thank you for the info. I don't think you are cold hearted at all, but truthful. Which is refreshing considering too many people blame the cruise line or get scared about "falling" off of a ship. Happy Cruising!

Very possible. But it would've likely been discovered sooner and handled in the early morning hours. And 2000-3000 people may not have been locked in their rooms on vacation.

They dont turn the ship around. One tremendous cruise ship, that lost a passanger 15 hours ago, isn't going to do anything. They would need smaller rescue boats. That is the coast guard's job

Actually they do. We were on a Celebrity ship about 6 years ago and we woke in the middle of the night as we could feel the ship turning.

The next day a ship's officer told us they turned the ship back towards the spot where the missing person was last seen.

The missing passenger's mother told the officers that he was depressed and possibly suicidal.

Thankfully he was found on the ship early that morning.

It's on People now... http://www.people.com/article/coast-guard-carnival-cruise-line-search-woman-overboard

This is very sad. I do wonder if a person can really fall overboard. I'm under 100 lbs and just over 5" and if its windy on the ship, I'm honestly fighting to walk against the wind. There have been times in rocky waters and windy sea days when I need to hold onto the railing to walk across the deck. If I let go, I'm pushed back by the wind. So I can see how someone my size can go overboard unintentionally.

It's on People now... http://www.people.com/article/coast-guard-carnival-cruise-line-search-woman-overboard

This is very sad. I do wonder if a person can really fall overboard. I'm under 100 lbs and just over 5" and if its windy on the ship, I'm honestly fighting to walk against the wind. There have been times in rocky waters and windy sea days when I need to hold onto the railing to walk across the deck. If I let go, I'm pushed back by the wind. So I can see how someone my size can go overboard unintentionally.

The rails are too high.

I just read that she has 4 children, and her husband wasn't onboard with her. Does anyone know with whom she was traveling? The article just said a group. Another referenced her "travel companions". It seems highly unlikely that she would be found after having been in the water for a day by the time the ocean search commenced. So sad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It would have to be hurricane force winds to blow you overboard. If it reached that point, the captain would close all decks exposed to the ocean. I've been on cruises and coming out of Cabo the winds can be fierce. The captain closed all the upper decks and told people to come inside. For this woman to go overboard my thinking is it was intentional. No one knows what was going on in this woman's personal life. All we can do is speculate, that's what humans do in situations like this. I feel sorry for the children and husband she left behind. Just sad.

The rails are too high.

I agree. The only way someone is going over is to jump intentionally or being drunk do something stupid.

I feel for those kids and her husband. If she intentionally did this, there will be a lot of questions they won't have answers too.

Is there a news source with up to date coverage of the search anyone knows of?

I agree. The only way someone is going over is to jump intentionally or being drunk do something stupid.

I feel for those kids and her husband. If she intentionally did this, there will be a lot of questions they won't have answers too.

Is there a news source with up to date coverage of the search anyone knows of?

I don't know about an up to date news report, but I think, normally, Miami news carries the most cruise information.

/QUOTE]

In actual fact there are surveillance officers on duty 24/7 watching the cameras on several monitors. However, the monitors cycle through the several hundred cameras every few seconds, so even though these guys are trained to catch certain activities in a blink, if the monitors are not on the correct camera at the precise time, they won't see it.

On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii in 2012, a man jumped overboard 2 days from San Diego in broad daylight. Although it to over 5 miles for the ship to turn around, the crew did find and rescue the guy. The captain asked all passengers to look for the guy and it didn't take long to spot him. He was brought back on board and confined to the infirmary until we reached our first Hawaiian port, where he was taken to a hospital. Rumors were that he was bipolar and had not been taking his medications.

So, yes, the captain will make every effort to save a life. And in this case, the captain and his crew did an outstanding job!

Thought and prayers go out to the woman's family and friends. I cannot imagine the devistation they must be going through. Those poor children!

Very possible. But it would've likely been discovered sooner and handled in the early morning hours. And 2000-3000 people may not have been locked in their rooms on vacation.

Well, the 2000-3000 people may not have been "locked" in their cabins (that didn't happen, they were asked to stay) since they would mostly have been in bed anyway, and then there would have been complaints of being woken up and having a crewmember open the door and check the head count.

Had they started a search in the wee hours of the night, the search would not have been any more efficient than turning around hours later. In the pitch black of the open ocean, with even only 1-2 foot seas running, spotting something the size of a basketball (the person's head), that is likely dark (hair), and dark clothing from a moving lifeboat or rescue boat, by non-trained crew would be virtually impossible. Even the USCG, doing their MOB training, in the daylight, with a SAR trained crew fully committed to the search, knowing when and where the dummy was thrown overboard, and with a dummy wearing bright orange clothing, have a hard time always locating the subject.