Cruise vs AI

We are booked on the Liberty of the Seas, but are considering cancelling and doing an AI in Cancun. We have only cruised, so I would appreciate some input. Btw way the AI is about the same price or cheaper depending upon my choice and all are 4 star or above.

I love both! AI in Cancun will more relaxing I think - not nearly as many activities and the shows tend to be very eh compared to cruise. Unless you plan to leave the resort and go exploring it should be very relaxing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, based on your profile picture, maybe you'd better go to Mexico before a giant wall is built... :cool:

Don't worry about the wall. The Mexicans have proven themselves to be marvels at tunnel engineering.

My AI experience made me love cruising even more!

The best part of the resort is the relaxation and no matter where you stay will have great beach access(without having to pay anybody for a day pass)

Not a big drinker so the benefit of the AI was lost

on me and I missed waking up wth a different view every other day or so.

As another poster mentioned unless you leave the area and explore a little bit will maybe be wanting more after a few days.

My AI experience made me love cruising even more!

The best part of the resort is the relaxation and no matter where you stay will have great beach access(without having to pay anybody for a day pass)

Not a big drinker so the benefit of the AI was lost

on me and I missed waking up wth a different view every other day or so.

As another poster mentioned unless you leave the area and explore a little bit will maybe be wanting more after a few days.

I agree with all the above. We're not drinkers at all and I believe that a significant percentage of the fees go towards the booze, therefore for us cruises are cheaper and more entertaining. And I can find many places on the ship for relaxation and solitude.

Edited by Smokey Mountain Tim

I enjoy both AI's and cruising. For the past 10 years I did an annual AI trip to Cancun so am pretty familiar. But know that which AI you choose will make a difference as some are much better than others.

If you are in the "hotel zone", it is easy to leave the resort and wander around Cancun. If you are not in the hotel zone than chances are you will never leave the resort (which I never do).

The resorts I have stayed at are very nice and relaxing. But traveling solo - I prefer cruising.

Price wise most AIs you can find a posted rate for per day or overnight just like those that use them coming off a ship for a day.

Checking those prices vs cruise pricing , cruising wins,

Checking the weekly special rate vs cruise special pricing, AI wins(most of the time)

We like doing A/I vacations, but slightly prefer cruises, last 4 Thanksgiving we were at a A/I, we were disappointed in last one Hard Rock, was not as nice as the Sandals we did the 3 previous years, what we like about Sandals is it is truly a A/I top self drinks, nice choice of restaurants and no tipping allowed and adults only, ( we did Sandals Whitehouse) , also love the swim up bars, really prefer resorts for daytime, cruise ships like Liberty ( which we just got off) have so much more entertainment , music in several venues and Broadway play. Food is about the same I would give A/I a edge over MDR and WJ, also so much easier to find a pool chair near one of the many pools.

I enjoy both AI's and cruising. For the past 10 years I did an annual AI trip to Cancun so am pretty familiar. But know that which AI you choose will make a difference as some are much better than others.

If you are in the "hotel zone", it is easy to leave the resort and wander around Cancun. If you are not in the hotel zone than chances are you will never leave the resort (which I never do).

The resorts I have stayed at are very nice and relaxing. But traveling solo - I prefer cruising.

We are looking at the Riu in the zone, sorry the exact name is lost on me.

I can see the appeal of both. If I wanted to spend most of my time on the beach or if I wanted more time to see the ruins in Mexico, I would definitely go with the AI. Certainly the inclusion of alcohol is a price consideration if you are not much of a drinker like my husband and I as with most AI's you will be paying for something you won't be taking much advantage of.

I have enjoyed my cruises but I am not a cruise only type of traveler and I do find for us having a beach day while on a cruise feels a bit rushed to me.

I would rather stay oceanfront and be able to walk out to the beach when I feel like it and come off the beach when I want to without worrying about missing the ship or dinner. I also like being able to walk the beach at sunset and night.

By the time I weighed in Flights to and from, passports, things that will eventually cost money at an AI.. (we go outside of it for at least one night on the town).

Cruising wins every time. There are so many places on cruise ships to be quiet and to be rowdy.

My personal opinion of course. I have done Cancun, Jamaica and DR all inclusives (all 4 star plus) and while nice, they all seemed to me built to have big bar, big pool area and not alot else to do.. they do have a nice beach party once a week.

I would much rather do the AI but since we have school age kids the ships are better because we can stick them in their own cabin(which is too pricy at AI).

At the AI's you can usually do day trips to other sister resorts for a change of scenery.

Some even provide transportation.

Make sure you get a higher end AI because there are huge differences between them...