Cuisine on Non-North American Cruises

JohnS43

I've only sailed on Princess in the US but will be doing a Mediterranean cruise (originating in London) in a few months. Does Princess vary its menu for the dining room and the buffet based on either the itinerary of the cruise or the predominant place of origin of the passengers? For example, since this cruise begins in London, would they tend to cater to British passengers, since they may constitute a majority of the passengers? Or would the cuisine represent the Mediterranean region? Or is Princess generally consistent with its menus irrespective of the destination and passenger makeup? That is, a menu that would generally be familiar to American passengers.

I'm not a fussy eater and will be happy with whatever is served, but I'm curious.

Food and Beverage Managers have told me they may alter the provisioning some depending on the anticipated national demographic. For example, lets say history shows Americans eat more red meat than Europeans do, and Europeans eat more fish. If a cruise projects 65% Europeans, then less red meat might be ordered for that cruise and more fish.

As others have mentioned, some "local" items may also be carried.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The most variance in menu I ever saw was a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver, where most of the buffet catered to Asian tastes. Even breakfast, which was tough for me. I just can't do miso or congie in the morning. The Mediterranean had some nice seafood and probably more fish than I see in North America, but in general was similar.

Hi

Having chatted with a number of food and beverage managers, they have said a great deal of work goes into what is ordered, based on age of passengers, possible weather conditions etc,

eg a cruise with lots of older Brits will go through more cheese and cold meats,

however never noticed any changes in Princess menus, may be one meal per week,

I wish Princess would do more local food.

yours Shogun

The buffet will offer more British style food. Bacon will not be US style and you'll find things like Marmite.

In Australia they have American Bacon,mBritish Bacon, Canadian Bacon ....