If Blu was a specialty restaurant?

billydog

If Blu was just another of the specialty restaurants I wonder how popular it would actually be compared to the other restaurants. Is is just the exclusivity that people like. I have sailed both Aqua and CC and was not blown away by Blu. If it was not included, and I had to pay for it, I might have tried it once but would probably not return. In my vie the Aqua premium price is certainly not worth it just for Blu unless you enjoy the exclusivity element.

If Blu was just another of the specialty restaurants I wonder how popular it would actually be compared to the other restaurants. Is is just the exclusivity that people like. I have sailed both Aqua and CC and was not blown away by Blu. If it was not included, and I had to pay for it, I might have tried it once but would probably not return. In my vie the Aqua premium price is certainly not worth it just for Blu unless you enjoy the exclusivity element.

But you do have to pay for it - and at a price higher than most of the other specialty restaurants. It's paid for by an increase in cruise fare. You might see that as paying for the exclusivity but that's the joy of cruising today. There are tons of ways to cruise and everyone gets to choose the one they enjoy.

To answer your theoretical question, for me, no, I would not pay for it.

Even if AQ was the same price as my normal choice (C2), I would not choose it.

Now if you asked if you could upgrade to that awesome AQ shower for a price, that I might be interested in! :D

To answer your theoretical question, for me, no, I would not pay for it.

Even if AQ was the same price as my normal choice (C2), I would not choose it.

Now if you asked if you could upgrade to that awesome AQ shower for a price, that I might be interested in! :D

If you would not choose it above a C2, then there must be a reason why (I think I may already know the answer :p)?

Let's put it another way. On our next cruise, as I've mentioned on other threads, the A1 and A2 are less expensive than the C2s (the C1s are sold out). Now, it would be costing X more to provide a separate restaurant and for the usage of the Spa (they could be charging extra for that privilege). So, how come with all of those extras, and them being a cheaper price, the Aqua cabins have not sold before the Concierge? There must be a reason why pax are willing to book CC, with less perks and no Blu, over the Aqua cabins - I'll leave it with you ;).

If those same Aqua cabins did not include Blu (say they were categorised as a CC or regular balcony), I wonder how many pax would book them :confused:? It would be interesting to find out - perhaps it calls for a poll :D.

You have to understand and I don't mean this in a nasty manner but your view is a minority view. Most people who post on this board are very positive about Blu and some are not. Impossible to tell right now since Blu has a different menu every night and we don't know what the menu would be if there was one menu like the other specialties.

If you would not choose it above a C2, then there must be a reason why (I think I may already know the answer :p)?

Let's put it another way. On our next cruise, as I've mentioned on other threads, the A1 and A2 are less expensive than the C2s (the C1s are sold out). Now, it would be costing X more to provide a separate restaurant and for the usage of the Spa (they could be charging extra for that privilege). So, how come with all of those extras, and them being a cheaper price, the Aqua cabins have not sold before the Concierge? There must be a reason why pax are willing to book CC, with less perks and no Blu, over the Aqua cabins - I'll leave it with you ;).

If those same Aqua cabins did not include Blu (say they were categorised as a CC or regular balcony), I wonder how many pax would book them :confused:? It would be interesting to find out - perhaps it calls for a poll :D.

You're right, I should have said why. I'm one of those in the minority who was not enthralled with Blu.

We tried it in 2011 (if I remember correctly) and tried so hard to like it.

But we gave up and switched to the MDR. Our friends we were cruising with, also in AQ, bailed out with us.

I've heard people say that it has gone downhill since then. That is one reason why we won't book AQ.

The other is a special cabin that we like, a C2.:D

It makes people feel important. To have a restaurent dedicated to aqua class, makes them feel special. A great marketing plan by Celebrity my neighbors not only went on a cruise they went aqua class. When telling me about there cruise they referred to everything as Aqua class. We just get a simple balcony and eat in the specialty restaurents but we were not as important as them or as they thought they were. It's a great deal for Celebrity but a would not pay extra money for food to eat in there. It's not very different then the MDR. Just my opinion.

I just came back from Bermuda. I was in a Aqua cabin and it was 100$ cheaper than a CC. On the M class ships the Aqua cabins are in a poor location IMO, before they existed the deck nine ones were CC and deck 11 was a nice place to sit. Adding Blu was just a draw to sell poor space at a higher price. I like Blu and Luminar because they are small, rather quite,offer good service, are really open sitting and have a relaxed dress code. Food is good however food is food.

I bet when schedule just came out AQ1 and AQ2 were more expensive and that is why they are still available. Then X evaluate cabin inventory and lower pricing accordingly.

We were on the Reflection for 16 days in April in a A1 and we didn't much care for Blu. The food range was from Very good to very bad, and the service wasn't anything special, not saying it was bad, but it wasn't any better than any of the other restaurants we ate at. The tables were rather crowded and the menu very limited. There were a few nights we read the menu at the entrance and didn't see a single thing worth eating....turned around and ate elsewhere.

Next Celebrity cruise we will go with a standard balcony and spend the money difference on specialty restaurants. We really loved the Tuscan Grill and Sushi on 5.

It makes people feel important. To have a restaurent dedicated to aqua class, makes them feel special. A great marketing plan by Celebrity my neighbors not only went on a cruise they went aqua class. When telling me about there cruise they referred to everything as Aqua class. We just get a simple balcony and eat in the specialty restaurents but we were not as important as them or as they thought they were. It's a great deal for Celebrity but a would not pay extra money for food to eat in there. It's not very different then the MDR. Just my opinion.

Yes, we're all chumps. Why can't people be happy with what they chose and quit trying to make it feel better by tearing other people's choices apart?

I don't need to stay in Aqua Class to feel important and special. I already know that I am important and special! :cool:

But seriously, we simply like the food and smaller venue. Staying in Aqua Class has zero to do with trying to feel superior to others.

I bet when schedule just came out AQ1 and AQ2 were more expensive and that is why they are still available. Then X evaluate cabin inventory and lower pricing accordingly.

No, A2 was cheaper than C1 and A1 same price when they first were released. I recall another poster, Jane going to Alaska this coming week, also commenting that her A1 was actually less than the C1 category she was considering when her sailing was initially released ;).

Yes, we're all chumps. Why can't people be happy with what they chose and quit trying to make it feel better by tearing other people's choices apart?

Thank you!!

I was all excited about having booked my first Celebrity Cruise - in an A2 as I love being as high up and forward as I can. I chose AQ based on location, the Persian Garden (I adore the Rainforest Room on DCL and it sounds so much like it), and the description of Blu.

Then within a few days of booking I was having major regret because of so much negative stuff and "Why would anyone book THAT???" not directly to me but in general.

I've pretty much taken myself off this board and am focusing on my Connections Roll Call with only the occasional check-in so I don't get so down about the prospect I eat the cancellation fee I'd have to pay with the company I booked with and cancel.

I realize that this board is called Cruise Critic but all the negative posts really do have an effect on newbies to a line.

Thank you!!

I was all excited about having booked my first Celebrity Cruise - in an A2 as I love being as high up and forward as I can. I chose AQ based on location, the Persian Garden (I adore the Rainforest Room on DCL and it sounds so much like it), and the description of Blu.

Then within a few days of booking I was having major regret because of so much negative stuff and "Why would anyone book THAT???" not directly to me but in general.

I've pretty much taken myself off this board and am focusing on my Connections Roll Call with only the occasional check-in so I don't get so down about the prospect I eat the cancellation fee I'd have to pay with the company I booked with and cancel

I realize that this board is called Cruise Critic but all the negative posts really do have an effect on newbies to a line.

Aw, you do realize that probably only about 7% of people on any cruise have even heard of Cruise Critic. So this is a VERY skewed and minority of people. A vast majority of people love the whole thing - ship, accommodations, food, etc.

Honestly we loved Blu, not just for the creative menus but for the smaller and QUIETER venue. Also, the chefs are able to more easily customize dishes and substitute things. They only have to serve a couple hundred people at the most per night whereas the main dining room is a couple thousand. The MDR has a photo of each plate in the galley and it's so very mass produced. Blu is just more intimate.

The first time we ate there we were a bit put off by the menu descriptions but in reality they are really delicious and just SOUND more complicated than they are. We have only stayed in an AQ cabin once but we've eaten in Blu on 5 cruises as suite pax. Have no worries, go in open-minded and realize that most people really really love Blu.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Those who love Blu are not chumps! If everyone loved the exact same thing, how boring would this world be?? Very.

What someone loves about Blu or Bistro on 5 may not be my cup of tea. That doesn't mean that those who love these 2 restaurants have poor taste. They have a different taste from me.

My husband hated Murano. Does that make him a chump? No. Just a tad strange, but not a chump.;)

Thank you!!

I've pretty much taken myself off this board and am focusing on my Connections Roll Call with only the occasional check-in so I don't get so down about the prospect I eat the cancellation fee I'd have to pay with the company I booked with and cancel.

I'm a huge proponent of 'trying something at least once'. No matter what others say, I need to try it for myself. Back when we did Blu, everyone was raving about it. It wasn't our cup of tea. No reflection on those who love it, just a difference of opinion (and we all know food is subjective).

We are going to be able to try Luminae in July. Now there's a test! I will go with an open mind and an empty stomach and decide for myself if it is all that it is cracked up to be. But if we don't like it, so what? Who cares if Muushka loved Luminae or not?? Nobody. Try for yourself. See if you like it.

And if you don't like it, come back and we will cheer you on! Kidding :D

PS Enjoy that awesome shower!!;)

No, A2 was cheaper than C1 and A1 same price when they first were released. I recall another poster, Jane going to Alaska this coming week, also commenting that her A1 was actually less than the C1 category she was considering when her sailing was initially released ;).

You are correct. We booked our Alaska cruise on Millie over two years ago when the itineraries first opened - we sail in 9 days now. :D

We love aft so naturally I was looking at Concierge 1s o the aft - but then I noticed that the Aqua 1s on the aft were cheaper - by a substantial amount. Yeah yeah I know the Aqua people don't want to hear that - but true.

I have eaten in Blu once before in a suite and wasn't impressed but thought for the price difference we'd try it again. I would never pay a premium for Aqua but in this case I'm on the aft (#1138) and saved money. I predict this is our "one and done" in Aqua but I'll try to be objective.

Aw, you do realize that probably only about 7% of people on any cruise have even heard of Cruise Critic. So this is a VERY skewed and minority of people. A vast majority of people love the whole thing - ship, accommodations, food, etc.

Honestly we loved Blu, not just for the creative menus but for the smaller and QUIETER venue. Also, the chefs are able to more easily customize dishes and substitute things. They only have to serve a couple hundred people at the most per night whereas the main dining room is a couple thousand. The MDR has a photo of each plate in the galley and it's so very mass produced. Blu is just more intimate.

The first time we ate there we were a bit put off by the menu descriptions but in reality they are really delicious and just SOUND more complicated than they are. We have only stayed in an AQ cabin once but we've eaten in Blu on 5 cruises as suite pax. Have no worries, go in open-minded and realize that most people really really love Blu.

I'm a huge proponent of 'trying something at least once'. No matter what others say, I need to try it for myself. Back when we did Blu, everyone was raving about it. It wasn't our cup of tea. No reflection on those who love it, just a difference of opinion (and we all know food is subjective).

We are going to be able to try Luminae in July. Now there's a test! I will go with an open mind and an empty stomach and decide for myself if it is all that it is cracked up to be. But if we don't like it, so what? Who cares if Muushka loved Luminae or not?? Nobody. Try for yourself. See if you like it.

And if you don't like it, come back and we will cheer you on! Kidding :D

PS Enjoy that awesome shower!!;)

Thank you both! :) I'm definitely keeping it - I mean, I'll be in the Caribbean in the middle of February rather than in a classroom (I teach and we're on Winter Break the week I'm cruising) in most likely cold NYC!

Disney has been my go-to cruiseline - I've grown up with Disney and generally love pretty much all things Disney. With the exception of their recent acquisitions of Star Wars and Marvel. And of course next year every single cruise on the Fantasy between like January and April is "Star Wars Day At Sea" as opposed to every other one they had this year. NOT my cup of tea, so I decided to branch out. A friend has pretty much exclusively done Celebrity and really likes it, so I definitely want to give ti a chance! :)

Again, thanks!

For our upcoming cruise on the Summit this July, we had planned on booking our usual CC cabin as we like the location of the cabins and a few of the perks. At the time we booked however, the AquaClass A1 cabins were significantly cheaper than the CC Cabins (and I'm talking more than $200pp) so I booked it. I have never been in AQ so my decision was made strictly based on the cost savings. With that said, we are looking forward to trying BLU. If we don't like it, there is always the option of moving to the MDR with Select Dining, plus we had planned on going to both Qsine and Tuscan Grill.

We are looking forward to trying something new but are most happy with the money we saved!

Thank you both! :) I'm definitely keeping it - I mean, I'll be in the Caribbean in the middle of February rather than in a classroom (I teach and we're on Winter Break the week I'm cruising) in most likely cold NYC!

Disney has been my go-to cruiseline - I've grown up with Disney and generally love pretty much all things Disney. With the exception of their recent acquisitions of Star Wars and Marvel. And of course next year every single cruise on the Fantasy between like January and April is "Star Wars Day At Sea" as opposed to every other one they had this year. NOT my cup of tea, so I decided to branch out. A friend has pretty much exclusively done Celebrity and really likes it, so I definitely want to give ti a chance! :)

Again, thanks!

Ah, a Disney Gal (I'm assuming gal). You may appreciate this. We did our first DCL cruise in 2004. Prior to our first cruise, all I ever heard about was how wonderful the food was and the lobster burgers on Castaway Cay.

Well, we did our cruise and I wasn't thrilled with the food (nothing unusual there for me, somewhat picky). But the lobster burgers, who in the world ever thought those were 'to die for'?? All I ever heard was that they were sooooo good. Well, they were not good. I went on a well known Disney board and mentioned that I didn't care for them. And before you knew it, many joined me in admitting that they didn't care for them either! It was like the Emperor's New Clothes comes to Castaway Cay!

We gave up on DCL about 5 years ago (except for a Panama Canal cruise in 2014, which was a bargain).

We primarily cruise X. We love the ships and the type of cruise that enjoy. Plus the Elite benefits are so much better compared to the benefits that DCL gives us (we are gold at this point).

I think you made a good decision. Considering that you enjoy that section of the ship for sailing and the Spa amenities, I'll bet you have a great cruise.

Please let us know how you like it. I'm always interested in DCL cruisers switching and how they like X(like we did).

Ah, a Disney Gal (I'm assuming gal). You may appreciate this. We did our first DCL cruise in 2004. Prior to our first cruise, all I ever heard about was how wonderful the food was and the lobster burgers on Castaway Cay.

Well, we did our cruise and I wasn't thrilled with the food (nothing unusual there for me, somewhat picky). But the lobster burgers, who in the world ever thought those were 'to die for'?? All I ever heard was that they were sooooo good. Well, they were not good. I went on a well known Disney board and mentioned that I didn't care for them. And before you knew it, many joined me in admitting that they didn't care for them either! It was like the Emperor's New Clothes comes to Castaway Cay!

We gave up on DCL about 5 years ago (except for a Panama Canal cruise in 2014, which was a bargain).

We primarily cruise X. We love the ships and the type of cruise that enjoy. Plus the Elite benefits are so much better compared to the benefits that DCL gives us (we are gold at this point).

I think you made a good decision. Considering that you enjoy that section of the ship for sailing and the Spa amenities, I'll bet you have a great cruise.

Please let us know how you like it. I'm always interested in DCL cruisers switching and how they like X(like we did).

Yep, gal! :)

I did my first DCL in 2013 and never heard about the lobster burgers, so those must be long gone. But I get the "What's the big deal??" thing - I have that with the roast beef sandwich on Royal that has this cult following. (Or the Cult of the BBC - my mouth does NOT think Bailey's and bananas go together.)

I'm excited and will definitely report in! So far besides Disney I've cruised on the Emerald Seas WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in around 1983, then Disney, Disney, Holland America, Disney, and Royal Caribbean. Holland is the only absolute no-go again for me - partly the liberal smoking policy and partly the service was just not up to par for me (in spite of my cabin person I'm pretty sure thinking I was a spy for Disney because I had DCL toiletries, a DCL hoodie (it was Alaska), and a plush Mickey who travels with me). Royal was on the Radiance last summer in Alaska and it was good - with the exception of the production show (I swear I'm still having nightmares about "City of Dreams"). I'm on the Brilliance in 44 days cruising the Mediterranean/Venice route - could not pass up that itinerary (Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Salerno, Venice overnight, Ravenna, and Kotor). And then February will be the Reflection! Whee!!

I agree that there are a significant number of AQ pax who do think they are superior, not all but a good number of them.....just look at the threads on here a couple of weeks ago when the new CC perks were announced, you would have thought someone had stolen their candy the way a bunch of AQ pax were ranting and raving that they deserved everything CC got and how they were so upset they would not be getting the Concierge class embarkation lunch and on and on....it was quite funny actually reading their rants on here.