Reusing soda tumblers?

Just had a thought, how do they keep people from reusing the soda package tumblers on another cruise?

Also, can I just order a can of soda at the bar instead of using the freestyle machines? I'll probably want to use my Yeti instead of the tumbler [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Theres a chip in the bottom of the cup that activates the free style machine to use the cup, usually they are programmed for the week.

You can only get fountain drinks with your package at the bar, you would have to pay for a can.

Enjoy

Edited by Lionesss

Correct, you couldn't re-use an RFID chipped cup on another Freestyle machine after it has expired. But, there is really nothing stopping you from taking it up to a bar & having the bartender use the Coke gun to fill it.

Unless, they change the cups out after each cruise & use different designs.

The one thing I noticed on my last cruise was my cup was good through May 8th, 2016, per the display on the Freestyle machine, yet I was only on the Freedom through May 1st.

Correct, you couldn't re-use an RFID chipped cup on another Freestyle machine after it has expired. But, there is really nothing stopping you from taking it up to a bar & having the bartender use the Coke gun to fill it.

The one thing I noticed on my last cruise was my cup was good through May 8th, 2016, per the display on the Freestyle machine, yet I was only on the Freedom through May 1st.

Sometimes they ask for you Seapass with the sticker on it even if you have the cup, so it's risky.

Edited by carlosalonsor

Even with the cup they still asked to see the sea pass sticker to get a refill.

Later

We were on the May 7th sailing of Oasis and there is a new cup design. Some people got the old cups but the majority got the new ones. You can see them in Bugsy's review. Our cups said they were good until the 20th when we used them on the freestyle machines.

I keep hearing about a chip, yet I never see anything activated on the cup when folks purchase the package. How does the available dates for the chip match up with the machine, especially now that am reading that there are new and older design cups? Just FYI - Inquiring minds want to know how this works. I am not trying to scam the system, I am not a soda drinker.

Thanks, M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I keep hearing about a chip, yet I never see anything activated on the cup when folks purchase the package. How does the available dates for the chip match up with the machine, especially now that am reading that there are new and older design cups? Just FYI - Inquiring minds want to know how this works. I am not trying to scam the system, I am not a soda drinker.

Thanks, M

Marci, I *know* nothing. My GUESS is that your first use in the machine activates it in a pre-determined way. (i.e., if the ship you are on always does 7 night cruises, the cup is now activated for 7 days)

Thanks, M

There is an RFID chip embedded in the base of the cup. Royal Caribbean programs a date into this cup, usually at least a week past the actual end of your cruise. The programming is done behind the scenes and then a table of cups is set up to sell and programmed cups are placed in the cabins of people who buy their package in advance. If the cups isn't sold on a particular week, they can just reprogram it and try to sell it again.

The chip activates the freestyle machine when you set it down on the machine. You can try a machine with a regular cup, many do and it doesn't work. In the past, there has also been a timer so you could only fill your cup every 15 minutes or so (discourages sharing by pouring into your friends regular cup). When we were on the Oasis 2 weeks ago, there was not timer. DH was able to fill cup, chug it and then refill immediately. He was very happy.:D

Thanks, M

The chip referred to is a RFID chip. The same type of chip that are in passports and swip cards. The chip has an unique serial number. This number is broadcasted to the receiving system such as a door or soda machine. The receiving system then transfer the information to a computer system that says if the tranactions are allowed or not. So the chip never changes but the computer system makes the decision if the process is allowed or not. Such as is this process (allowed to get a coke) valid at this time (this cruise). This a similar system to a room key card at a hotel or cruise ship.

Thanks - I kind got it, and can understand how it works ( chip/machine activation), how a timer between dispensing might work , What I don't get is how the cruise duration works. I never imagined that someone on the ship has to re-program unsold cups for the particular upcoming cruise duration. Some cruises have uneven duration (6/8 nights, 10/11, 4/5 etc.) My guess is that in those situations, the cups are programed for the longer duration ( 8,11,5)

Thanks all - and thanks for basically using "RFID Chips for Dummies"

Marci

From my only experience the chip was set with a 14 day window from activation. Some in my group activated their cups on day 1 of a 7 day cruise, I waited until day 3 or 4 and my 'expiration' date was a few days later than those activating on day one.

Thanks - I kind got it, and can understand how it works ( chip/machine activation), how a timer between dispensing might work , What I don't get is how the cruise duration works. I never imagined that someone on the ship has to re-program unsold cups for the particular upcoming cruise duration. Some cruises have uneven duration (6/8 nights, 10/11, 4/5 etc.) My guess is that in those situations, the cups are programed for the longer duration ( 8,11,5)

Marci

The cups are programmed for a date past your last day on the ship. On our 5/7 Oasis cruise, the freestyle machine showed that our cup was to expire on 5/20. They put the date out a bit.

Marci

I'm guessing that the chips are not programmed at all, they just identify the cup as mentioned above.

Probably the first use of the cup contacts the server and sets the expiration date for that cup.

There are active and passive RFID chips, the latter very akin to a bar code except that the reader technology allows the chip to be read from a distance and does not need to be "scanned". A whole grocery cart of chipped items could be pushed by a reader and itemized/priced without needing to take out and scan each item.

The first time you use the cup, the computer system to which the reader is attached verifies that it is a valid chip and establishes the start and expiry dates.

When you put the cup into the machine, the OSD shows the expiration date.

It's always shown as about a week to 10 days past the end of the cruise in my experience.

Which might come in handy if you're doing a B2B. :D

Currently on Indy and we both have soda package we have not been asked at all to show sea pass we just take our cups to the bar

Do you have to have your cup to get a soda from the bar or will they give it to you in a glass if you show them your card?

Do you have to have your cup to get a soda from the bar or will they give it to you in a glass if you show them your card?

You do not need the cup to get a fountain soda at a bar, just the sticker on the card. The computer system also knows if you have a package. If the bartender swipes your card it will show that you have it in case the sticker has come off.

From an info page for one of the Orlando Theme parks:

The first time you use your cup, the Coke Freestyle station registers it using the RFID chip for use that day. If you return days later with the same cup, the station will read the chip, see that it’s expired, and it will not dispense what you desire.

Maybe this is why some people who don't use the cup until mid to late week on their voyage end up with dates beyond the end of their cruise.