What Did We All Do Before CC

What the heck did we all do before CC came along???? My first cruise was not until 2003. I went in blind folded, not knowing anything. Never even thought to try and find out. Now everyone (including me) has to know everything from A to Z before boarding.....ie.....which direction does the bed face.....is my cabin quiet.....I have an obstructed view, how obstructed is it......can I remove my tips. On and on. Thousands of things we need to know before boarding.

If I had to be honest.....the THRILL of ignorance, boarding my first cruise with my three children in tote, was VERY exciting with butterflies. NOW......of course....cruising is my passion, but butterflies are gone. How do you feel? Do you need to know EVERYTHING before boarding? What did you do before CC came along?

Before the internet, I read the brochure, looked at the deck plans in the brochure, and depended on my travel agent to advise me.

There is nothing like going into the TA's office and coming out with a pile of glossy brochures to pour over and compare to each other before making the cruise selection.

Edited by Homosassa

Before the Internet, I was 7. So my parents were doing all the cruise planning, and I just showed up. [emoji23]

I did have a lot of fun looking at brochures, though. I would study the deck plans for hours. My dad's friend was our travel agent and would bring me books from every cruise line for my to look over. [emoji16]

Before the internet, I read the brochure, looked at the deck plans in the brochure, and depended on my travel agent to advise me.

There is nothing like going into the TA's office and coming out with a pile of glossy brochures to pour over and compare to each other before making the cruise selection.

So true! Spent quite a few hours with different TAs through the early years; then spreading the brochures out on the living room floor to poor over / compare deck plans, itineraries, ships, etc.

Then once the booking made, crossed the fingers I had picked the right cruise!

Then got super excited the closer to leaving to see the ship.

I had spent a lot of time looking at the brochures before booking my first Royal cruise on the Song of Norway. My TA called me one day all excited to tell me I was being switched to the Majesty of the Seas -- I wasn't :). I had spent all that time, LOL. Well, turned out Majesty was delayed (fire at the dock yard, I think) a year and Monarch came out first, but wouldn't be ready for my sailing so the Song of Norway it was.

Yeah, there were butterflies when approaching and that first step on board!

Edited by jaspercat

Before CruiseCritic came along I left my balcony door open with the AC on, parked towels on a chair by the pool and used my hands to pick out food in the WindJammer. ;)

Edited by KMagz

What the heck did we all do before CC came along???? My first cruise was not until 2003. I went in blind folded, not knowing anything. Never even thought to try and find out. Now everyone (including me) has to know everything from A to Z before boarding.....ie.....which direction does the bed face.....is my cabin quiet.....I have an obstructed view, how obstructed is it......can I remove my tips. On and on. Thousands of things we need to know before boarding.

If I had to be honest.....the THRILL of ignorance, boarding my first cruise with my three children in tote, was VERY exciting with butterflies. NOW......of course....cruising is my passion, but butterflies are gone. How do you feel? Do you need to know EVERYTHING before boarding? What did you do before CC came along?

I must say I agree I think sometimes I know too much before I go on vacation especially cruises and now miss the discovery factor and the feeling of excitement when I go somewhere new or on a ship I've never been on.

I was always one to look at as much as possible. I would read a lot of travel books. I think research is a good thing. I know people who want to be surprised with a new ship. I just feel you miss so much.

Also enjoyed watching the building of Regal Princess and now Harmony. One I've enjoyed and one getting ready to enjoy.

Edited by Pmorton3360

Theres a fine balance. Being PREPARED can make for a great vacation because you dissolve the stress of not knowing the details. HOWEVER, if you prepare to the point that it stresses you out and you forget that it is a vacation, it can ruin a trip.

Sometimes folks get really stressed on here, I just want to remind them that its vacation. Its supposed to be relaxing!!

But as others said. i will miss the sheer bliss of exploring a new ship. I have never been on an oasis class ship but I already know it like the back of my hand.

Edited by atnolan94

I've been using Tripadvisor long before "discovering" CC.

For the first 2 cruises, I hadn't the "foggiest" idea, just booked online on a site where I could see all the decks... Of course, for our first on Jewel, I've chosen #7500, OV on the front, hoping to help the captain to navigate ...

All changed when I booked a "cruise" to Galapagos, which necessitated some serious research.

On Tripadvisor I was directed to the "sister" CC, found the roll call... and the rest is history -- I've "cruised" a long way - NOW I know how to monitor price drops and take advantage of them, I'm looking for a "hump", or at least - near the stairs/elevators, "reduced deposit", "final payment", OBC... the list goes on and on.

I, for one, I'm very grateful to find this site and thankful for all the good advice I've received all those years, including last month, when our cruise was cancelled :).

I cruised a lot of times before even hearing about Cruise Critic. I don't even remember who told me about it. I couldn't do without it now. I don't need to know everything, but when I do want to know something, it is nice to come here and ask. Someone is always willing and able to answer any question I ask or anybody asks.

I can't believe at the number of people who I talk to that have cruised many times, don't know anything about CC. I am always happy to tell them about it.

Like everything else, there are good points and bad points. ;)

Gwen :)

Our first cruise was in '84, and I didn't find CC till 2000. Still enjoy reading CC even when the subject doesn't pertain to anything I'm doing. I just enjoy reading reviews, rants, flames, and the just plain nuts. I have gotten so many insider nuggets that I would have missed without CC.

I have had great Roll Calls like the TA where I set up Bunco on Jewel and wound up after a couple of days with a packed room. The private tours in Canada, St Petersburg, England and so many other places have so enhanced our cruises.

Our last few Roll Calls, though, have been flat. No one engaging in conversations, no mention of a Cabin Crawl, Poker Run, etc. I know I could have tried to start it, but when I joined it, it was like dropping a penny in a well, no welcome, no nothing. I tried a few times to get a conversation started, but no response.

I still advise everybody to join their Roll Call, because you might strike gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was in 1978. We had 2 sources of information. The brochure with deck plans and The Love Boat TV show. The ship was small so there was not too much to the deck plans. Later, I found Cruise Travel Magazine and took out a subscription. I would always read it cover to cover. I amassed quite a collection of deck plans from many ships, most of them are long gone now. I first found CC in 2001 when the Radiance OTS was under construction and I was trying to find out everything I could about it because we would be on voyage #2.

Things have changed a lot now with the internet and CC. There is a element of surprise that is gone but on the other hand spending months researching extents the length of time enjoying the cruise experience.

My FIRST cruise I was 11 - we were all pretty clueless and our only image of cruising was The Love Boat. My parents handled all the details, and we all just experienced things as they happened - we loved being spoiled by our dining room service team and our cabin steward, we were surprised to find that the pool was closed while we were sailing AND that the water line was far below the actual edge of the pool.

My cruises as an adult, I've used this and other forums to get the basics down. Things like when to do online check-in, how dining works (rotational on DCL, and now MTD on RCCL), how to book any extras that I want, etc. I honestly don't give a rat's patootie what direction my bed faces (I honestly cannot understand how on earth this makes any difference) or if I've got a balcony cabin if the bed is next to the doors or the bathroom. But other than the basics about the ship and some research about my ports and what I want to do (usually a ship-based excursion as I'm most comfortable that way), I don't stress it.

Through having had all types of cabins (not suites...I don't need that) from porthole on the first one to Concierge family cabin, deluxe family ocean view, and a balcony on DCL, and an interior cabin on RCCL, I know that I can have a good cruise in any type and am not snobby about "I can/will only sail in X type of cabin. And everyone else should too." I'm just happy I can cruise!!

Before the Internet and Cruise Critic planning was much simpler. There was no need to book restaurants or shows in advance because there were no specialty restaurants. When I started cruising there was the MDR for 3 meals a day or room service. Maybe a grill out by the pool for lunch. There wasn't even a Windjammer.

There was one show in the evening, not multiple types of entertainment or different lounges with different music offerings.

Everyone dressed for dinner every night. On formal nights you just got more dressed. There wasn't a thought to wearing jeans in the dining room. Women didn't even wear pants to dinner. I guess there was much less to discuss back in those days.

It didn't much matter what type of cabin you had. It was either an inside or an outside with a porthole. There were very few suites and even they didn't have balconies.

Basically, everything was much simpler back then and everything you needed to know was included in the brochure or the documents that were mailed to you in advance.

Theres a fine balance. Being PREPARED can make for a great vacation because you dissolve the stress of not knowing the details. HOWEVER, if you prepare to the point that it stresses you out and you forget that it is a vacation, it can ruin a trip.

Sometimes folks get really stressed on here, I just want to remind them that its vacation. Its supposed to be relaxing!!

But as others said. i will miss the sheer bliss of exploring a new ship. I have never been on an oasis class ship but I already know it like the back of my hand.

Excellent points!!

I also think that sometimes people prepare so much they have this image of "the perfect cruise" and are set up for disappointment as NOTHING is perfect.

Two examples:

* They read of someone getting upgraded from an inside cabin to a suite and think that it will happen to them. ESPECIALLY vulnerable are those who book guarantees because people book a low guarantee and end up with a fantastic upgrade. But that does not always - or even often - happen. That's the primary reason I will always tell people to book the lowest category they will be happy with. IF there is an upgrade it is icing - but there are no guarantees that an upgrade will happen.

* Someone else got all kinds of extras because they were celebrating birthday/anniversary/honeymoon/graduation/insert celebration here - but "all I got was a tiny piece of dry cake". They don't HAVE to do anything! IMHO it should be enough that your family and friends are celebrating your special event and there should not be an expectation that others must do something. (The exception being if it has been ARRANGED for you to have a special cake. I'm talking here about the people who want random things just because.)

Those are the two primary big bugaboos I've seen where people get their expectations up from research - primarily on forums - and end up disappointed when they end up with exactly what they paid for.

Before CC? Wow. That was the days when we would do the "Doc Dance" waiting for the Plastic then paper booklets that came in the mail about three weeks before the cruise. You had your air, you had luggage tags, and everything you needed flying into Miami the day of the cruise.

You could bring all the wine on board the plane, then the ship, and even take it to the dining room. Forget wine? No problem, just buy it or spirits at the liquor store onboard and take it to your cabin.

Shower curtains stuck to your butt, they played free movies on your TV, there were postcards of the ship in your cabin, chocolates on your pillow and gifts like tote bags on your bed.

I also have gotten wonderful information from many of you and I do want to thank you all in this modern tech age for all your help.

I do miss the brochures and I also had a script to that cruise mag.....loved it.

Our first cruise was as group so I was lucky that everything was done for me except payment:eek: That was 1991 and now it's 35 cruises later.:D

I joined after my first 3 cruises I believe and it was around the same time I stopped using a travel agent. I don't know what I'd do without it now ... I've learned so much and continue to learn! :)

Edited by Virtopia

Ta

You have to go back before 1995 to get before CC. It was launched on aol

I was going to ask, but you answered first. Anyone remember what the original CC even looked like.

Also liked your "launched" pun, planned or not. :)

What the heck did we all do before CC Do you need to know EVERYTHING before boarding? What did you do before CC came along?

A colleague of mine didn't know about CC. On her first cruise it took her 3 days to realise that there was a MDR and that not everyone ate at the buffet. That was last year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to ask, but you answered first. Anyone remember what the original CC even looked like.

Also liked your "launched" pun, planned or not. :)

In order to find cc you had to log onto aol and then go to their travel section. The format changed a couple times and it seemed each time they dropped members and their post count and log in info, people got ticked over their post count:p, it was really funny. Early cc drama:D

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cruise-critic-redesigns-and-expands-cruise-community-on-aol-to-meet-growing-popularity-of-cruising-74874407.html

If you google cc on aol there is some info

A colleague of mine didn't know about CC. On her first cruise it took her 3 days to realise that there was a MDR and that not everyone ate at the buffet. That was last year...

Sorry, but that is just called not doing ANY due diligence to learn anything about what you are getting into. It doesn't take a message board to learn that - it just takes investigating the cruiseline and ship. All information that is READILY available - well, unless you are living in a yurt somewhere without any internet or access to books or civilization. Even the most basic research would have told her that.

While I don't like to go overboard with my planning, I simply do not understand people who shell out the kind of money one shells out for a cruise vacation and do absolutely ZERO research about it. Forum or no forum - the information is out there.

Our first cruise was in 2002 and didn't know about Cruise Critic. We had good friends that gave us many tips and told us to go with the flow and have a good time. We met many new friends and have not looked back. joined CC in 2005 but it wasn't until 2008 that I joined our first Roll Call.