Tips

I have not prepaid gratuities in the past. I will be prepaying gratuities for our Anthem cruise when I make the final payments for my group. Just to make it easy for everyone :)

Individual choice. Used to be that you had to pre-pay for My Time Dining, but no longer. I've done both. Doesn't really matter except if you pay on board you can use any OBC for the tips. But most OBC doesn't even come close to covering on board expenses, so it's just a matter of whether or not you want to pay before you cruise or at the end.

We never pay in advance, but we have the tips automatically added to our account daily. We rarely tip extra in cash at the end, unless someone did something well outside the normal realm of their duties for us.

We never pay in advance, but we have the tips automatically added to our account daily. We rarely tip extra in cash at the end, unless someone did something well outside the normal realm of their duties for us.

Same with us!

It will cost the same, whether you pay BEFORE you get service or at the end of the cruise, when your shipboard account is settled. Back in the day, you used to tip your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter IN CASH, IN PERSON!

Today's cruisers don't even have to extend a "thank you" to those who have served them....it's all done automatically.

It will cost the same, whether you pay BEFORE you get service or at the end of the cruise, when your shipboard account is settled. Back in the day, you used to tip your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter IN CASH, IN PERSON!

Today's cruisers don't even have to extend a "thank you" to those who have served them....it's all done automatically.

I still use the cash envelopes. I prefer that method.

In addition to the pre-pay tips, we still need the envelopes for others that assist us on the cruise.

On the Allure and/or Oasis, the two concierges

Suite bartender on out door deck

Bartenders in suite lounge, usually we attach ourselves to one and tip on final day.

Waiters in CK.

Cabin attendant for CL Suites. (Have always gone above and beyond the call of duty),

Now mind you we just appreciate the service and this is what we do.

Safe travels

I also prefer the cash envelopes, but I can still do it??

Yes. I did last month on the Radiance. If go this route you will need to visit guest services and have the auto tips removed from your account. They automatically add the charge daily once you board. They will provide envelopes at that time.

Here is how they break down down the automatic tips for distribution. How you distribute it is up to you.

Dining & Culinary Services: (Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Head Waiter) $7.75 per day per guest.

Stateroom Attendant $3.85 per day per guest

Other Housekeeping Services $1.35 per day per guest

Total $12.95

Yes. I did last month on the Radiance. If go this route you will need to visit guest services and have the auto tips removed from your account. They automatically add the charge daily once you board. They will provide envelopes at that time.

Here is how they break down down the automatic tips for distribution. How you distribute it is up to you.

Dining & Culinary Services: (Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Head Waiter) $7.75 per day per guest.

Stateroom Attendant $3.85 per day per guest

Other Housekeeping Services $1.35 per day per guest

Total $12.95

Automatic tips are $13.50 per day.

Edit to add:

Here is a link to the current breakdown:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5523&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqType=faq

Edited by reallyitsmema

Speaking on behalf of all passengers whose domestic currency is not the USD, the decision on when to pay can be influenced by the direction of currency exchange rates. I purchased a good amount of OBC many months ago, when exchange rates were much more favourable, to cover gratuities and other anticipated onboard expenses.

Oh YES, How I remember. I far prefer the "old" system. That way I knew the people who provided me service got the $$$. I always carry plenty of ones to thank the omelet cook, breakfast waiter and..... :D

Oh YES, How I remember. I far prefer the "old" system. That way I knew the people who provided me service got the $$$. I always carry plenty of ones to thank the omelet cook, breakfast waiter and..... :D

We do the same, also we look for and decide on a favorite bartender who gets a little a long the way and a bigger tip for the last round of the cruise.

Speaking on behalf of all passengers whose domestic currency is not the USD, the decision on when to pay can be influenced by the direction of currency exchange rates. I purchased a good amount of OBC many months ago, when exchange rates were much more favourable, to cover gratuities and other anticipated onboard expenses.

Very smart idea.

Thanks for the current amount and breakdown. Since I do cash tips, I just went with what they had left in the cabin and added some. I guess the Radiance is still using old paperwork.

517304032_RadianceTips.jpg.fcd7ed87bc24d3bfe7f801ae97f2cafb.jpg

Edited by iluvcruzin

We like to prepay our tips so we don't get hit with it at the end of the trip, we do however give additional envelopes to our room steward, waiters and favorite bartender. We are not wealthy nor do we travel extravagantly, we book an inside cabin and enjoy ourselves just as well but I was always taught to take care of those who take care of you. These people work very hard, they work long shifts and are away from their families. I would much rather have an inside cabin and know I have paid it forward to these hard working cheerful people who made my vacation special than upgrade myself to a better room and not give the extra tip. I guess it's whatever helps you sleep at the end of the day and that's what works for us.

Edited by lbtnewcruiser

We like to prepay our tips so we don't get hit with it at the end of the trip, we do however give additional envelopes to our room steward, waiters and favorite bartender. We are not wealthy nor do we travel extravagantly, we book an inside cabin and enjoy ourselves just as well but I was always taught to take care of those who take care of you. These people work very hard, they work long shifts and are away from their families. I would much rather have an inside cabin and know I have paid it forward to these hard working cheerful people who made my vacation special than upgrade myself to a better room and not give the extra tip. I guess it's whatever helps you sleep at the end of the day and that's what works for us.

Same here. I prepay, but I always leave something extra.