Driving myself crazy with this decision!!

rgmacm

I'm driving MYSELF crazy on this!! :) and posting on the Princess board (rather than the Alaska board) because we are 'settled' on taking our Alaskan cruise with Princess. I'm particularly interested in opinions from other Princess cruisers....about Princess ships.

My dilemma? What cabin category to choose...

Here's my thought process:

Opinion #1: Alaska cruises are expensive!! Get the interior cabin. Just get on the ship for the least amount of money, then go up on deck and enjoy Alaska. :)

Then...comes Opinion #2: If you're going to spend the money to go, postpone it a year, save up and get the balcony. If you're going to do this, do it up "right" :)

Then...quickly flows Opinion #3: You'll want to spend all your time up on deck where the Rangers are talking...not to mention that's where the coffee is. You don't want to miss what the Rangers have to say...and who wants to be making 10 trips a day up stairs/elevator to get more coffee....just stay up on deck. If you do that, the balcony cabin (and it's extra cost) goes to waste....

And then the ever-looming Opinion #4: OH MY WORD!!! WE HAVE A CHILD IN COLLEGE!! The only reason we can afford to BREATHE is because air is free!! :eek:

Which, of course, takes me immediately back to opinion #1...which flows into #2...then #3...then #4 and back to 1... You get the idea!!

So.....for those who have cruised Alaska before (and opinions from others with kids in college will carry a lot of weight.... ;) )

1) What cabin did you choose?

2) Why did you choose it?

3) Now that you're home, do you think you'd make the same decision again? Did it turn out to be a 'wise' decision?

Edited by rgmacm

OK, I cruised Alaska with an inside cabin with a college student. We chose the inside cabin for cost reasons. That cruise was on Celebrity, but we've also cruised Princess.

Our logic--The best views are those panoramic sights you can only get from an open deck. This proved to be true. Sure, we'd have seen things from a balcony, but to really get the experience we went up and open in terms of decks. As you noted, there will be blankets, hot chocolate, and coffee readily available on these open decks.

You can't get the full view from your balcony. If that doesn't matter to you, the balcony would give you the ability to come in when you get cold. Doing the view from the open decks while the ship was moving was the only time I was cold in Alaska. The blankets which were handed out on deck were necessary. On excursions, etc. I was fine in layered clothing.

Postpone a year....I'll save you my personal story, but "next year" is promised to no one in terms of life or health. Things do happen.

I'm happy with our decision. I'd put the money toward excursions and other fun things rather than a more "high rent property." At the end of the day, you'll remember whale watching more than a balcony. Interestingly, my daughter who was in college when we went now says that Alaska is a cruise she'd like to do again.

IMHO, the money would be better spent on a longer cruise (10 day vs. 7?) or excursions rather than a balcony.

Um...how many people are you placing in this cabin? Princess cabins are small when compared to some other lines. Yes, you can cram 4 people in some of the cabins, but 2 is really all that is comfortable.

I have done AK three times. Once in a balcony, once in a mini, and once in suite.

I think it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It is hard to get an ugly view.

With that said, I would just do what I could to "get there". Book the inside and then stalk the Princess website for deals. They do happen- but you have to be on the lookout. On our first AK cruise, we booked a balcony- it was spendy. For some weird reason, on New Year's Eve, there was a huge price drop- we ended up getting a mini for about $1000 less than a balcony. Better room AND cheaper! It was a great deal.

Also, if you are a fireman, police, EMT, or teacher- Holland America offers deep discounts on selected cruises- as long as you can prove your credentials. We booked a last minute to AK on HAL for less than 3 nights hotel in Seattle one year.

Mostly, you just have to keep looking---

Good luck!

Edited by TracieABD

Our personal preferences.

We always book a balcony cabin no matter where we cruise, but not for any of the scenarios you describe. We book a balcony because we enjoy the light, access to some fresh air and for the additional interior space. We generally do not hang around in our cabin, never order room service and I would say in Alaska we would not use the balcony very much as a viewing location (too cool). We also do not enjoy just sitting around on the balcony, too quiet, we like to be where there is activity.

For scenery we always go to the upper decks where we can get 360 degree views, be close to food & snacks, hot or cold drinks, and the bars. So I say, if you are comfortable with sleeping in an inside cabin then go that route. You will not miss anything.

Now you have one opinion, it's really up to you.

Edited by sknight

Alaska might be the one time I could skip a balcony. We always get a balcony and haven't done Alaska yet, so take this with a grain of salt. When talking with other balcony cruisers they have said that the Alaska cruise was the one they seldom used the balcony because the cold weather and the better views up on deck. What about a compromise of an ocean view? also if doing a balcony and that is your "view spot" make sure you have an idea what views are most important to you and that your side of the ship will be in alignment with that. Regardless, as with any decision, make it and then just enjoy the cruise. You can watch for price drops and do an upgrade as others have mentioned...but don't drive yourself crazy, life is short!

Sailed to Alaska twice on HAL. We enjoyed our OV more than our Neptune Suite because we like being on deck watching Alaska go by. The balcony was too isolating for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are taking our third Alaskan cruise in July. It will be the first Voyage of the Glaciers, and we are adding a land tour to the end. We almost always book a balcony. For this cruise we decided on an Obstructed Ocean View cabin. Mainly for the reasons you mentioned. I expect to be up on deck much more than on other cruises. In addition, it will likely be cool for sitting on the balcony.

BTW, my cabin is a guarantee, and I have not been assigned a cabin yet. We board in One month and one day (who's counting??). We will be on the Coral NB.

We have sailed Alaska twice in a balcony. We went up on deck for the panoramic view. Did not use our balcony at all! Go now in an inside. It will be wonderful! You will also be able to sleep b/c it will be dark in your cabin, no midnight sun to keep you awake. That was a real problem for me, if it was light I was awake! By day 4 of not getting a full night of sleep I was a wreak!

I like balconies but would rather have an inside than not get to go because of the expense.

I'm taking my 3rd cruise to Alaska in August. On the first I took my mother who was 80 at the time. She could get around pretty good but would get tired, so a balcony was perfect for us. Especially on glacier day. She could watch everything from the balcony. The guy who lectured could be heard on the TV and the ship pivoted around so we got a full view of the glacier almost half of the time and other beautiful sites the rest of the time. When she got tired or cold she would step inside and rest or order room service. Another time we saw whales from our balcony. Expensive but so worth it. Mom died a couple of years later and that was her last big trip.

The other two times (including the one coming up) I have gotten an inside. Cheaper so I can go sooner rather than later. For viewing you can go up to the top deck or my favorite, the Promenade.

I've been to Alaska 8 times. It's addictive.

I did an inside cabin in Grand Princess a couple of years ago. It was on Lido deck and it was great. Loved it. Just got up in the AM and walked out to the pool area. There is pizza, hamburgers and fries and the buffet beyond that. This was a great location. Easy access to Movies Under the Stars (which was awesome in Alaska).

I don't think you have to have a balcony in Alaska. Even when I have had one- I've sat in other locations to take in the view.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We love a balcony for Alaska. The ship is very close to shore, on much of the inside passage for an Alaskan trip. We love nothing better than having a lazy afternoon sitting on the balcony and watching the wildlife & nearby scenery. Yeah it might get a little cold, but that's what warm clothes are for. Bring some binoculars, a good book, and something good to drink.

Alaska has more beautiful scenery while cruising, than almost any other destination. It's great to be able to smell the ocean, view the scenery, and hear the sounds, in the solitude and comfort of your room, with someone you love.

One tip for Alaska, try to get a balcony that is covered. That way you can still enjoy your balcony, even if the weather isn't cooperating.

I've had all types of cabins, including a balcony in Alaska. When we were on the balcony (in August), it was cold and damp plus we could see only one side. For my 2018 Alaskan cruise, I've booked an inside. I'm rarely in my cabin during the day on any cruise and much prefer to be outside and able to see all around me.

We always get an inside cabin but when we did Alaska we went for a suite right at the front of the ship under the bridge. It was a stunningly huge balcony but it was incredibly windy and wet and really was better suited to the weather of the Caribbean, we hardly used it!!

Also we found when in Glacier Bay etc it was far better to move around the open decks to pick your view where as obviously on your balcony you were restricted.

The suite was a massive expense and one that we found really wasn't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend your opinion #1 which is my preference for an Alaskan cruise even without the expense of a child in college.

For me the price would be my first consideration closely followed by the itinerary. Lastly would be which Princess ship as they are mostly similar with the same onboard experience.

On our most recent Alaskan cruise on the Coral we had an inside cabin aft on Baja deck which friends said had a great balcony. We were a short distance from the mostly covered aft facing viewing deck with loungers & it was usually uncrowded. Sadly the Coral's sister ship the Island had this great area on Baja & Caribe decks removed & replaced by additional cabins. :(

The Princess website has info about their Alaska experience:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/

I always choose an Inside Cabin; it means I can cruise more!! Go for it. The best views are on an outside deck anyway.

Cheers.

I have to agree. Go for the inside cabin. Our 1st Alaskan cruise was inside cabin. We too, did not stay inside either. Up on deck, or sitting on a bench people and scenery watching!

We were also going the least expensive way to see Alaska. I would not do that cruise differently.

Our next cruise to Alaska is next May, we are doing a balcony room bc traveling with friends, this is what they wanted. But DH and I have decided we will not always be found on our balcony--I like to be out and about, I might miss something if I don't hear others talking about it!!

I also, think any future cruises will probably be OV or inside for the reason I state above.

Have fun...and enjoy seeing how you saved some $$$ and still see Alaska. ;)

I'm driving MYSELF crazy on this!! :) and posting on the Princess board (rather than the Alaska board) because we are 'settled' on taking our Alaskan cruise with Princess. I'm particularly interested in opinions from other Princess cruisers....about Princess ships.

Opinion #1: Alaska cruises are expensive!! Get the interior cabin. Just get on the ship for the least amount of money, then go up on deck and enjoy Alaska. :)

Then...comes Opinion #2: If you're going to spend the money to go, postpone it a year, save up and get the balcony. If you're going to do this, do it up "right" :)

Then...quickly flows Opinion #3: You'll want to spend all your time up on deck where the Rangers are talking...not to mention that's where the coffee is. You don't want to miss what the Rangers have to say...and who wants to be making 10 trips a day up stairs/elevator to get more coffee....just stay up on deck. If you do that, the balcony cabin (and it's extra cost) goes to waste....

And then the ever-looming Opinion #4: OH MY WORD!!! WE HAVE A CHILD IN COLLEGE!! The only reason we can afford to BREATHE is because air is free!! :eek:

Which, of course, takes me immediately back to opinion #1...which flows into #2...then #3...then #4 and back to 1... You get the idea!!

So.....for those who have cruised Alaska before (and opinions from others with kids in college will carry a lot of weight.... ;) )

3) Now that you're home, do you think you'd make the same decision again? Did it turn out to be a 'wise' decision?

We've sailed to Alaska eight times and have another one booked on Princess for this summer. We've split our sailings between Princess and Celebrity, sometimes out of SF, sometimes out of Seattle and sometimes out of Vancouver. We've booked, inside, oceanview and balcony cabins and yes, I agree....they have become quite expensive.

If you are going to splurge on a balcony anywhere, I would say Alaska is where it has the most value but if it is a rainy year, you might not be using your balcony all that much anyway. My theory is, if I sail cheaply and I can sail often. With that in mind, we find that the obstructed oceanview cabins (check out Renmar's site for a good non-obstructed one and book early) is the way to go for still getting some awesome views, some natural light ... all at a much smaller price than a balcony ... yet, so much better than an inside cabin. We actually love being on the Emerald deck as it is the most convenient for us to everywhere on the ship we want to go. Be sure to check out that site -- not all obstructed oceanview rooms are created equal.

Also, for Alaska, I highly recommend sailing on a ship that has an indoor pool area. I know the Grand and Island classes have an indoor pool ... but I don't think you will find it on the Crown....and I know there isn't one on the Caribbean Princess but she doesn't sail on this coast that I know of.

No matter what else you do, I also recommend attending the naturalist talks while onboard. Not sure if he visits the Princess fleet, but if you are lucky enough to have Brent Nixon onboard, you will not be disappointed. If everyone in school had a teacher like him, there would be no dropouts!! I just cannot remember if he is strictly Celebrity or not ... but he is amazing.

As for you last question ... yes, Alaska is a decision we've never regretted. We keep going back as it is our favorite itinerary. One of my favorite cruises of all times was in a midship inside cabin on the Celebrity Infinity up to Alaska that opened out into the glass elevators....but that is another line so don't want to add any confusion to the equation. Just mentioning it because even an inside cabin is worth it if you are going up to Alaska. Still, my advice would be to go for one of those barely obstructed oceanview rooms on the Emerald deck.

Most people prefer Glacier Bay in their itinerary ... I absolutely love the peacefulness of the Tracy Arm up to the Sawyer Glacier. I also love Icy Strait Point and if you want to do whale watching, this is the spot. It is pricey but you are guaranteed to see whales. We even saw a grizzly on the shore line up there....although that is not guaranteed.

My very first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska cruise in a very tiny inside on Sea Princess. This cruise totally hooked me on cruising. We spent almost no time in our cabin and had fantastic viewing on the public decks.

Don't sweat it. Despite what some will tell you an inside cabin is fine for Alaska.

On the Golden Princess we chose deck 14 balcony. We had a great view, took lots and lots of photos & videos. Felt that we had a nice private time on our balcony. That is why we chose a high balcony. We had the tv on so we could hear the lecturer as we were in Tracy Arm Fjord.

We decided that when we do an Alaska cruise again that we would pick the Lido deck again. The only draw back was that on our return, the ocean was a bit rocky heading back to San Francisco and I got a bit seasick. :)

Just returned from an Alaskan cruise this morning! We always get a balcony cabin because we like to see the ship sail into port and dock. My sister and her husband booked an inside cabin because of the expense. They were looking for ways to cut the cost and I stressed taking the inside cabin and spending money on excursions. After the final payment, they got an upsell offer of $250 pp for a premium balcony which they took. So......they ended up spending less than we did but ended up with a better balcony! It's a gamble but it worked for them! Could happen to you. I would have to agree with other posters though, don't put the trip off.....GO!

We are doing an inside cabin. Literally leaving this Saturday on the Crown Princess to Alaska. We've never had more than an Oceanview cabin and only book inside staterooms. Even when we had the oceanview it was rare that what you wanted to look at was actually facing out the window. If you want to take in the sights just go up to the buffet or on top deck. We hardly spend anytime in the room so there's no point spending the money there. I would rather have the money to go on excursions, extra days at sea, or a disembark excursion (we fly southwest and 9 times out of 10 the direct flight leaves at 4pm or later and that's like 6+ hours at the airport when they kick you off the boat at 9am). The only con about an inside stateroom is the mornings. It is so dark 24/7 that it is SO EASY to sleep in by mistake. This is our 2nd Alaska cruise with Princess and highly recommend it. The only downside is no inside pool and it looks like the weather won't cooperate this time to take advantage of movies under the stars unless we get there early and can snag a chair under cover. Definitely check out **********.com if you are trying to get the money work. It costs like $5 (technically it is $1 but the minimum when you pay is $5 for 5 credits) and you plug in a cruise line, date, and ship and tell it what types of cabins you want to watch. It will send you e-mails as soon as the price drops so you don't have to monitor every day. This only monitors price and not promos so still check weekly at least. I've saved a good $300-$400 a cruise which is a lot of an inside stateroom for 3. I normally have the price drop at least 2 times and usually a third at the lowest but also has a promo. TG for Travel Agents. Don't be surprised if a deal shows up on a Thursday and gone by Monday. Be ready to take a screenshot of the princess website w/deal and send that to the Travel Agent. I've missed it on Monday but because I could prove I sent the e-mail and had a screenshot they still matched it. :)

I'd vote for Option Five: Sell the child and use the proceeds to book a suite.

I second (actually third) Cruise Raider's and Paul's suggestion of an Obstructed Oceanview cabin. I personally find I am unable to tolerate an inside cabin, but an ObstOV suits us fine! The price is usually right, too--much better than a balcony. As Cruise Raider said, all ObstOVs are not created the same, so do check the Renmar site (just Google "Renmar Obstructed" and you will find the link) to find the best one available. This is one cabin category that I wouldn't book as a GTY--I would want to choose my own cabin.

Have fun! I do like the way you make decisions! :D It was a much more interesting thought process and question than simply, "Should we do inside or balcony for Alaska?" :D