Celebrity...Please change the TV programming!

Iamthesea

We recently returned from the Silhouette sailing to the British Isles. It was our 6th Celebrity cruise since 2014. Yes, we should, and do, feel fortunate.

We enjoy watching TV when we are getting ready for the day or in the evening. While the in stateroom movies have changed somewhat over the last two years, the TV show episodes remain the same. Same Downton Abbey episodes, same Big Bang Theory, same Mike and Molly, etc. We are not DA watchers at home, but absolutely know by heart those 2-3 episodes played onboard. :D:rolleyes:

It would not be too bad if we could watch the news in the morning or early afternoon. But apparently, there are no news channel signals when nearing or in the ports.

Celebrity, please think about some new shows! :cool: We have another cruise coming up in 4 months. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

We recently returned from the Silhouette sailing to the British Isles. It was our 6th Celebrity cruise since 2014. Yes, we should, and do, feel fortunate.

We enjoy watching TV when we are getting ready for the day or in the evening. While the in stateroom movies have changed somewhat over the last two years, the TV show episodes remain the same. Same Downton Abbey episodes, same Big Bang Theory, same Mike and Molly, etc. We are not DA watchers at home, but absolutely know by heart those 2-3 episodes played onboard. :D:rolleyes:

It would not be too bad if we could watch the news in the morning or early afternoon. But apparently, there are no news channel signals when nearing or in the ports.

Celebrity, please think about some new shows! :cool: We have another cruise coming up in 4 months. :)

We always found the station called "SPACE" to have some fairly interesting, if oddball movies on.....we had it on Eclipse last year and Reflection this year....it's a Spanish station but the movies are always in English....is that an option for you....?

Other than that I agree with you completely....really poor TV selection....

Yes, we watched SPACE. English movies with Spanish language commercials. ;)

As I said, the movies really were not the problem. In fact, we often did not want to get involved with a movie because we either turned it on mid-movie, or did not get to finish it. ;)

I agree about the TV and movies on Celebrity. We sailed on the Royal Princess last winter and we had the best programming ever as they had upgraded their systems!! If Princess can do it, I am sure Celebrity can as well.

Sometimes, it is nice to have when you are getting ready for the evening after a great day on deck.

We are going Celebrity this winter and it would be nice if they could give us this little perk!

Truly..

When S class first came out, there was a great selection of free movies...fairly current. Now not that great a selection. They could do well to improve this feature...

And why oh why is there no posting of the scheduled times for the free movies - either on the TV somewhere or in a paper handed out at the start of the cruise. I ended up going to a concierge desk and requesting a print out. But it would be nice to just be given this info (maybe the could skip just one flyer hawking the chocolate diamonds and art auctions)!

My husband and I were on the same British Isles sailing. I imagine one reason the TV options are so poor is Celebrity doesn't really want passengers spending much time in their cabins....they'd rather us out and about the ship spending money!

We only turn the tv on to check our onboard account i didn't even realize there were tv series shows!

On the M-Class, I presume the S-Class as well, one TV channel is a feed from the bow camera. That channel or one nearby on the dial provides the audio of the naturalist calling out whale or dolphin or penguin sightings when in the Antarctic or Arctic. And there is another channel (prepare yourself for the impact of overwhelming excitement here...) (drum roll please...) which provides reruns of the port shopping opportunities in case you miss those talks in the theater. I will confess that I seldom watch any shows or movies on tv at home and never have on board so I can't comment on those options.

Stan

We try to remember to take a photo each day of the map showing the ships position (frequently forget!).

Check account, occasional order from room service, look at photos....

Occasionally check football (soccer) results.

I think we have watched one film......

Always have loads of stuff on iPads but rarely use that either....

Much as we don't use the TV I am shocked that they don't have a decent selection of programmes! Surely it wouldn't cost X much.

Next cruise I may have a browse to see how bad it is!

When onboard you do get live tv especially news. that they can nt take away from you. to not turn on the tv is your Option not ours, just like Oh I can not be w/o the Internet?

Agree Some shows need not to keep repeating, they got a large HDD use it. Go up to your Staff and in person complain, enough complaints gets it done. Not in a day but in time> you have a survey, fill it out.

Movies are clearly posted in the daily they are and can be played "ANY' time you like so no need to have a schedule? and can be resumed where left off, but not days later. Lets say 24-48 hours or something like that of what I remember?

Heck it reminds me of being at home, how can I get the Big Bang theory to stop repeating. I rather have the Seinfield shows repeat on a cruise ship, Lol

Hundreds of Dollars for cable and 20 channels repeating the same show over , and over, and over, nothing new

I wish they would offer (ideally on demand) the video of on-board events we may have missed. I caught part of a Beyond the Podium lecture when I woke up the middle of the night and would really have appreciated the ability to watch it over breakfast or at another time, but it was replaced with a video of something else, on repeat. On RCL we were also able to watch video of shows in the theater; that's a very nice feature and it doesn't cost much--they're filming anyway.

My husband and I were on the same British Isles sailing. I imagine one reason the TV options are so poor is Celebrity doesn't really want passengers spending much time in their cabins....they'd rather us out and about the ship spending money!

Ah, but we have to get dressed at some point, and would be nice to have something to watch. I rarely watch TV at home because I have things to do (or am on Cruise Critic :D), but cooped up in that small stateroom, I need a diversion. We sometimes listen to the music, but even that is on a recorded "repeat" mode.

Pretty much all the cruise lines have terrible TV choices. I download TV shows and movies I want to watch on my IPAD at home before the cruise and watch that instead.

Do you hook your iPad up to the TV? It would be hard to look at a little iPad screen when moving around trying to get ready.

And one more rant. In the past, on a sea day, we have enjoyed going to the onboard movie theater. I have noticed on the last few cruises that the theater has now turned into a place to have seminars (advertising goods for sell) and that the movies are only offered on port days. :rolleyes: When we are out exploring the port!

Good idea .

We don't go on cruises to watch TV.
Congratulations . :rolleyes: Neither do we and neither does anyone ! However for the brief amount of time we do turn it on ,

it would be nice if there was something decent on . You can continue to go on cruises to not watch TV .

I agree about the TV and movies on Celebrity. We sailed on the Royal Princess last winter and we had the best programming ever as they had upgraded their systems!! If Princess can do it, I am sure Celebrity can as well.

Sometimes, it is nice to have when you are getting ready for the evening after a great day on deck.

We are going Celebrity this winter and it would be nice if they could give us this little perk!

Princess Regal had the same system . In spite of my previous response to Papa , the selection was so good we did watch a few movies on it . It worked like a PVR so we could watch a few minutes at a time . Very impressive . Edited by richstowe

• 2 weeks later...
And why oh why is there no posting of the scheduled times for the free movies - either on the TV somewhere or in a paper handed out at the start of the cruise. I ended up going to a concierge desk and requesting a print out. But it would be nice to just be given this info (maybe the could skip just one flyer hawking the chocolate diamonds and art auctions)!

The M class ships and S class ships have differing free movie programming,.

On M class, one channel shows 3 (maybe 4?) movies a day repeating, the times are listed on one of the info channels.

On S class, they are in the pay per view section of the TV, but they are free movies to choose from, you can start them whenever you wish.