What electronics do you bring?

kayred

My husband and I leave in just one week ( so excited) and I am trying to decide what electronic I actually want to bring. We are flying into Seattle next Friday and leave Sat on the Crown for Alaska.

Like most today I am very "connected" in my daily life and I look forward to being unplugged. Having said that I know there are some things I must bring for example my phone, my camera and my iPad (for reading books).

The truth is as much as I like the idea of being "unplugged" for a week i don't think that's realistic.

I am interested in your experiences. What electronics have you brought but wished you didn't and what didn't you bring that you wished you did? I am tempted to bring my laptop to download photos but I am hesitant to bring it. Do you bring your phone on Alaska excursions? What about the rain?

Please share what has worked, or not worked, for you and your family

Good morning,

I bring my phone, Kindle, and laptop. My phone goes in the safe until port and then is used to text our son or to call one friend. Other than that it's not used (I don't have a smart phone, but rather a "dumb" one). I use the Kindle for book reading. My DH likes to have the laptop to watch DVD's.

Along with 3 friends, we're doing the BVE on the Crown on the 18th and then DH and I board on July 2nd. Can't wait!

I love being "disconnected" as much as I am - it feels like I'm on vacation and it's rather nice! I have had internet on-board HAL but found I spent too much time on the computer and that defeated the purpose of a vacation for me.

Karen

Well, if you need anything, it will be your phone. Since the last time I checked, Alaska was part of the US, you will be able to make any calls, texts, etc. on your US cell plan just as if you were sitting in your living room. SO, if there is any need to communicate with people at home, phone comes along.

Camera--no. The newer i-phones have a good camera built in for those shots that must have members of my party in them. I'll never be able to get the scenery shots that professional photographers have posted on line. So the camera in my phone is fine for the personal use shots.

Some form of something to enable electronic reading--personal decision.

computer--really depends on your needs. I think it is too heavy to drag around routinely, but there have been times when I was thankful that daughter brought hers along. These were particularly when things didn't go quite as planned. I find it much easier to use the computer than the phone, but that's me.

As a minimum, I would bring a smart phone. I would not put it in 'airplane mode' or put it in the safe. There are too many reasons why someone back home might need to contact you. I'm not saying to update their recent shopping trip on facebook but to inform you of true emergencies. They do happen. "Turn Data Off" to avoid data charges and still allow phone and text messages. Only answer phone calls from trusted family members. Rely upon text which is cheap.

I have Note by Samsung. It is large enough that I can read books on it too. I bring a real camera and plenty of data disks so no need to download to a lap top.

The only electronics we bring are the chargers for the batteries in our cameras (one "regular, one is waterproof for snorkeling). My phone is turned off and put in the safe.

Just a note about having a electronic reading device. I know people bring them but I wonder about those that bring them to the pool deck and leave them on the deck around all the water. Even if their chair is back from the pool edge, drinks get spilled and furniture moved around.

I have seen some very upset people that had their electronics wet by water or drinks (and no, it is not the fault of the passerby that spilled the drink or splashed the water).

Also, not everyone on the ship will be honest and a electronic device left unattended (even in a bag) can be and is easily lifted by a passerby.

A paper back book, on the other hand, has never been disturbed in my 40+ years of cruising (and survives the pool deck better than electronic devices).

My husband and I leave in just one week ( so excited) and I am trying to decide what electronic I actually want to bring. We are flying into Seattle next Friday and leave Sat on the Crown for Alaska.

Like most today I am very "connected" in my daily life and I look forward to being unplugged. Having said that I know there are some things I must bring for example my phone, my camera and my iPad (for reading books).

The truth is as much as I like the idea of being "unplugged" for a week i don't think that's realistic.

I am interested in your experiences. What electronics have you brought but wished you didn't and what didn't you bring that you wished you did? I am tempted to bring my laptop to download photos but I am hesitant to bring it. Do you bring your phone on Alaska excursions? What about the rain?

Please share what has worked, or not worked, for you and your family

Camera does that count... that is it.

I take a small surge protector that has three blogs and 2 USB connections, a small waterproof camera, our "smart" phones so we can access the Princess app, my iPad, and my laptop (although I rarely use it, I never leave home without it).

With that being said, my favorite bit of technology is . . . A book! Nothing better, (in my opinion) than sitting near a pool - or anywhere we might be able to find a lounge chair - under a warm Caribbean sun, with a cool beverage, and a novel I have purchased months prior just waiting to be opened for the first time once on board.

Happy sailing!

I'm a bit of a techno geek, so I take quite a bit. I take the new MacBook (very small and portable), my iPad Pro, camera and smartphone. My DW takes her Kindle Fire and iPod (for walking). If we're in a place where there in is a lot to see from the ship (like Alaska, etc.), I'll also take my image stabilizing binoculars. It's not like we're constantly on these devices ... but, they're so portable that it's good to have them when you want them. Each afternoon or evening (after a port day) while relaxing on the verandah, I download my photos into my iPad to edit, select shots I want to keep and delete duplicates ... and then erase the memory card getting it ready for the next day. I'll post Facebook pics from the iPad but do most checking of email, etc on the MacBook. Some shout "disconnect" but, I find staying connected and sharing photos part of my cruising enjoyment.

I always take my iPad to use the free internet minutes. A few of the things I use it for:

1). use it for a large screen clock and to set an alarm on port days

2). check my room tap daily to verify any charges

3). I have an app which allows me to see where we are and how far it is to the next port. If I see another island in the distance I am able to identify it. I download all the maps prior to the cruise so that it doesn't take internet minutes.

4). while my wife is getting ready in the morning I check my personal email and view the internet cameras in my home. It allows me to see if the pets are doing OK. I can also monitor to see the person that checks up on the house. I also check the local news back home

5). I can make phone calls using Internet minutes only with an iPad app.

6). Check the Cruise Critic forum

DH and I bring our tablets. We like connecting to the internet in the airport and play games or read Drudge. On sea days we sit on our balcony and play games. We usually each have 250 free internet minutes so I use them to check email. I never send emails or do any banking with the tablet. So for us, just the tablet and our cell phones. We don't turn those on as they're Tracphones that have virtually no phone service any where but in the US. Okay with us.

My little 10 inch netbook. Can download photos daily (in case my camera gets lost) and access internet, ship board account etc. Also my phone. For Alaska, will call home, check emails while in port etc.

Both my husband and I bring cameras. Prefer the photos we take with cameras to phone photos.

I'm pretty much in the mainstream with "gadgets". MacBookPro laptop, to Photoshop the days pix, iPad, iPhone (I obviously do my job to keep Apple solvent), and my Sony DSLR camera. I realize the camera in my phone is a decent enough camera, but that's ok for immediate surroundings, but that's it.

Edited by Treven

Ours is a mixture as well. It does depend on our itinerary as well. For example, if there are lots of sea days we will take our DVDs and a DVD player. We each take our Canon cameras as we've found we both get totally different pictures. There are time when we get duplicates like if we were inside a church but even those can be different and one of us might take better then the other. With those cameras comes our lenses. An extension cord to plug both batteries in. For our next cruise I'm looking at buying a movie camera as well. How else will I be able to cover that helicopter ride!

We take our cell phones but those get turned off and put in the safe as soon as we leave port and don't get turned back on until we dock back home. Even in US ports we have had little use for them but we have been known to bring them. For example, last cruise my brother in law was in the hospital and we were waiting to hear news. We never use them to take cruise pictures. That's why we have those great cameras. We also bring an underwater camera if there is snorkeling involved.

My husband takes his laptop on longer cruises so that he can download pictures every night. For his down time moments he likes to spend time copying them and checking them out. I have been know to take mine for watching DVDs on as well. Otherwise there is no need for them. On short cruises he doesn't bother.

In the past I've taken my Kindle but now use my tablet for that reason and take that as well. I enjoy reading while waiting to board, waiting t leave, waiting to whatever. I also love sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by while reading.

Op, I'm not sure how the rain effects your decision. I wouldn't leave any of my devices sitting out in the rain but it wouldn't stop me from using them either.

I never use email on the ship except in an emergency. Once we were in the Med I realized that I forgot to give my daughter our passport information to do our return check in for our flight. I couldn't for the life of me remember my log in for my account so ended up borrowing our tour guide's phone to make a quick call. Over 25 cruises and I've never found the need.

My son is 32 YO. He has a computer attached to his hands and the cell phone has been stitched to his ear. About 7 years ago I reminded him that he was Elite. As such he was entitled to free internet. He looked at me like I was a martian and said "mom, why would I want to be on my computer on a cruise". Huh!? He has had a computer ever since he was 3 YOs old. Back when you needed the floppy disk to start your computer, transfer to the hard drive to boot up and sign off by parking it back on the floppy. He has yet to touch a computer on a cruise vacation. For him, there is just too much to do which includes relaxing.

I can honestly say that taking electronics near people drinking or playing in the water has never been an issue. I am not prone to spilling my drinks over myself or my electronics. Unless you drench your phone or camera, they do dry off. I've been caught in a sudden rain outburst and just threw the towel on the camera. I've taken pictures in the rain. If I didn't I'd have missed many great photos.

I also don't worry about losing or having my camera stolen. First I'm careful about my belongings. Also, I believe in the goodness of others and that if I run up to the bar to get a drink, while I might keep an eye out I'm certainly not looking at my cot mate to steal it. If I happen to leave something behind I will hopefully end up getting it returned. I do my due diligence. I have a picture showing my name and address as the first picture on my camera. If the guy that finds it is honest, I'll get it back. This scenario has never been a reason to base my decision of bringing it with me or not.

Oh, I also take my headphones so I don't bother others making them listen to what I'm listening to.

I have to say, there are times some of these things never make it out of the bag but there are times when I really enjoy them.

On my next cruise to Alaska I'm taking my 4 young grandchildren. Every single camera and lens will be brought, the DVD player will be set up in their cabin on both TVs for our downtime as well as theirs. I have bought a movie camera for my 10YO grandson and the 6, 8 and 10 YO are all getting their own camera that will do short videos. I want them to collect their own memories their way.

I always take my iPad to use the free internet minutes. A few of the things I use it for:

1). use it for a large screen clock and to set an alarm on port days

2). check my room tap daily to verify any charges

3). I have an app which allows me to see where we are and how far it is to the next port. If I see another island in the distance I am able to identify it. I download all the maps prior to the cruise so that it doesn't take internet minutes.

4). while my wife is getting ready in the morning I check my personal email and view the internet cameras in my home. It allows me to see if the pets are doing OK. I can also monitor to see the person that checks up on the house. I also check the local news back home

5). I can make phone calls using Internet minutes only with an iPad app.

6). Check the Cruise Critic forum

Which app would that be to keep trck of where you are at? How hard is it to preload the maos?

Which app would that be to keep trck of where you are at? How hard is it to preload the maos?

Motion X GPS-HD

it's easy to download maps. Just highlight the area and set how detailed you want the map to be.

I also use it on the airplane to idenifity the cities that we're flying over, speed, altitude, and distance to destination.

Let me know if you need help.

On our upcoming cruise I'm taking a camera and my phone. That's it. I'll use the phone for reading rather than carrying my tablet. I can read just fine on the phone. I may also watch a movie on it during the flight. (I have a 200 GB micro SD card in the phone so I can load it up with high-def movies.)

Family of 4 cruising Alaska this summer. We'll need a bunch of these things to get through the 6 hour flight with the kids, not sure how much they will get used on the ship, but we'll have them regardless. 3 iphones, 2 ipads, 3 kindles, one digital SLR and lenses, a waterproof point and shoot, 2 portable dvd players and maybe a laptop. The laptop is the only thing that I am debating - would use it on the flight for DVDs and to back up photos on the ship. Time will tell.

Motion X GPS-HD

it's easy to download maps. Just highlight the area and set how detailed you want the map to be.

I also use it on the airplane to idenifity the cities that we're flying over, speed, altitude, and distance to destination.

Let me know if you need help.

I downloaded it. When I last flew cross-country to pick up a cruise out of FLL, I was intrigued by the app on the video screen showing where the airplane was, speed, distance, etc. I'm sure this is certainly more up to date.

Smart phone with Kindle app and plenty of movies and music on the micro SD card

Compact power strip

DSLR camera with extra battery packs

Good pocket camera with 30 power optic zoom lens to carry when don't want to carry bigger DSLR

Power brick to recharge phone on long excursions and flights

Noise cancelling headphones (Bose)

Power cords and chargers