Friend wants 9am flight in Miami--disembarks in Ft Lauderdale

myfuzzy

Ahh, another millennial special snowflake. Reality will rear it's ugly head at some point, and this may be that moment. If all the stars align they might make it, but the best advice so far is that she should have multiple back up plans and a credit card with a large limit

If she's a typical snowflake, then she just has a debit card, will be screaming about the holds but everything will work out cause Mommy and Daddy will get her their credit card.

Actually she is a co worker, a 20 something ish, who is traveling with her girlfriend. Traveling for them is a backpack and bottle of water. No cares. They kind of expect you to stand aside for them and feel sorry for them so they get what they want.

I guess you decided not to take my advice. lol

Lets be blunt....making that flight is impossible! We could go through all the time elements, such as morning rush hour, 45 min+ to get from Port Everglades to MIA, the need to check-in at least 1 1/2 hours before a flight...or get stuck in lines, etc. But the OP is exactly right, she is nuts. In fact, taking a 9am flight out of FLL would be darn difficult.

Hank

Lets be blunt....making that flight is impossible! We could go through all the time elements, such as morning rush hour, 45 min+ to get from Port Everglades to MIA, the need to check-in at least 1 1/2 hours before a flight...or get stuck in lines, etc. But the OP is exactly right, she is nuts. In fact, taking a 9am flight out of FLL would be darn difficult.

Hank

In my experience, this type of snowflake has the ability to manipulate time and space unlike the rest of us mortals. You know, if you just explain that you are in a hurry, security will drive you right to your plane..I read it on the internet..

In my experience, this type of snowflake has the ability to manipulate time and space unlike the rest of us mortals. You know, if you just explain that you are in a hurry, security will drive you right to your plane..I read it on the internet..

Reminds me of a snowflake (back in the day the term we used was airhead) in my department. She virtually never got to work on time - every day, month in and month out, "there was a delay on the subway" - she could not seem to understand that if it regularly took 45 minutes to get down town, the fact that it was possible, under ideal circumstances, to do it in 20 minutes - because she had once been able to do it, she should allow for the 45 minutes - and not consider it the end of the world if she got in 20 minutes early once a month.

Reminds me of a snowflake (back in the day the term we used was airhead) in my department. She virtually never got to work on time - every day, month in and month out, "there was a delay on the subway" - she could not seem to understand that if it regularly took 45 minutes to get down town, the fact that it was possible, under ideal circumstances, to do it in 20 minutes - because she had once been able to do it, she should allow for the 45 minutes - and not consider it the end of the world if she got in 20 minutes early once a month.

And she stayed gainfully employed at that company???

Actually she is a co worker, a 20 something ish, who is traveling with her girlfriend. Traveling for them is a backpack and bottle of water. No cares. They kind of expect you to stand aside for them and feel sorry for them so they get what they want.

In that case let her do it. Hopefully she will fail spectacularly and maybe she will actually learn a lesson although I really doubt that she will.

I repeat my earlier statement that she must be a total idiot to even think about doing it.

DON

Snowflakes, be they male or female, never learn lessons. This one, if she insists on making these plans, will blame everything else, except her own stupidity.

OP, explain it to her like this. IF they begin allowing disembarkation at 7 (highly unlikely), she will have to stand in line for US Customs and Immigration. Sorry, even Millennials have to do this. Then she has to get in a line for a taxi, and take the 45 minute ride to the airport. Once there, she has to stand in long lines for check in and TSA, and we all know that the delays at TSA have been awful. Finally, she MUST be ON the plane 20 minutes before the plane is scheduled to depart. Now, if she thinks she can do all that in 2 hours, have at it.

These are one of those things that look good on paper.

Weirder thing have happened.

I will be the odd one out but I would try it if I had to be to work that day.

Worst case she pays the $100.00 or whatever to change flights.

Depends on where she is flying home to as to the number of flight on that day.

But she definitely will not make it if she doesn't try.

What's the harm in trying as long as she can afford to pay when she doesn't make the flight.

I'd say she has a 20% chance of making it. And if I was 20 and wasn't worried about having a heart attack over the stress of it all I would go for it!

And she stayed gainfully employed at that company???

No: because new hires at the bank were probationary for six months, her failure to perform as expected - as was repeatedly pointed out - was simply explained to her in her exit interview, without the necessity of the extended procedures routinely involved in terminations.

Ha!! Sailed into FL and between a Dock worker slowdown, and Immigration at 10:15am we were still stuck on the ship. And we docked at about 5:30am

What a hoot this gal is :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got one that beats even that. We were sailing into FLL after a TA and had a medical emergency onboard, so for the last day and a half, we'd been going at full speed so we made it into FLL at 11:30pm, instead of 7am the next day. You would think that would mean a smoother disembarkation. Nope. Our assigned time to disembark was 8:30am, but there were only a couple of agents to process the whole ship, so we didn't even get into the terminal until after 10am.

We would have missed our 12:30 pm flight if not for a Princess employee in the terminal pulling people who had international flights and pushing us to the front of the line.

What's the harm in trying as long as she can afford to pay when she doesn't make the flight.

I'd say she has a 20% chance of making it. And if I was 20 and wasn't worried about having a heart attack over the stress of it all I would go for it!

I don't think that the worst thing that will happen is a $100 fee to change a flight. Later flights are usually the ones that are sold out because reasonable people post cruise good the 11:30 and after flights.

If she prints her boarding pass and has only carry on perhaps she has a 20 percent chance of making a 9 a.m. flight. I would say that if she has to check bags that chance goes down to about 5 percent.

No: the "WORST CASE" would include numerous other reasonably anticipated consequences. A likely additional cost would involve staying over a day or so until she could get a flight - which might cost an additional many hundred dollars, and losing her job as starters.

It is simply silly to describe the MINIMAL likely cost as a "worst case".

Rather than "go fo it", she might consider alternatives far more likely than making that flight: getting permission from her employer to work a later shift comes to mind. That may not be easy, but it certainly has to be more likely than the virtual impossibility of her making that flight.

Do not even think about it! I would say the earliest to fly out would be 11:00AM. Sometimes, the ship is delayed by customize or by the ship itself. You need to be at the airport about 1 1/2 hours before your scheduled flight- and if the airport is backed up for the security check you are in trouble. You should get TSA pre-check which can help you. I would suggest you walk off the ship with your luggage and take a taxi- While you might get off the ship by 7:00- 7:30- you might not.

Good luck

But the OP said she lives in a small town with only a few flights a day. It's not like she lives in Chicago or New York or LA where they have hundreds of flights. Not only that, if it is a town with 10 or so flights a day, it's quite possible that the flight she would try and take on a subsequent day would be fully booked. And, small town airports usually see those tiny regional jets that carry as few as 70 passengers, so they book very quickly. I lived in a town that had 9 flights a day and those flights booked quickly.

Because I have cruised a lot, she asked me for advise.......

Glad you told us she was only asking for advice and that she was not traveling with you! She asked you for advice and you advised her... but she doesn't want to listen to what she doesn't like to hear.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, one can usually "suggest" to others when asked, but when only one person advises information, it usually falls on deaf ears. But, when a lot of others (you ) say the same thing, well, maybe it will make a point!