Bed location

hb1491

In outside cabin there are some location where the beds are under the window and there are some which are on the side of the cabin, is there any way to know which the side of the ship they are on the side or under the window some where I heard that the starboard side has them on the wall.

Just wonder.

In outside cabin there are some location where the beds are under the window and there are some which are on the side of the cabin, is there any way to know which the side of the ship they are on the side or under the window some where I heard that the starboard side has them on the wall.

Just wonder.

Hmmm? Good question. We usually book an oceanview on the Emerald deck (never housed on the Plaza deck before). To my recollection, I think the bed location has never been under the window but against the wall in these cabins. The only time I have had an oceanview cabin under the window was on Celebrity....not Princess.

In January on Emerald I went to a friend's cabin who wanted to show me something she bought. It was an outside cabin. The window was above the bed.

This configuration seemed to be a good use of space because her cabin didn't feel cramped. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

As a rule, if the room is marked as accommodating more than two people, then the beds will be on the outside wall, with the bedhead under the window, and the extra beds will be fold-downs mounted on the sidewalls. Rooms that only accommodate two are usually on the sidewall. There are exceptions, E633 on the Saphire had the beds under the window but did not have the additional wall-hung beds.

Rule of thumb for OV cabins is that if it only for two, beds will be on side wall. If it is a quad, two uppers, beds will be under the window. However, all the cabin pics I could find of Plaza deck OV cabins the beds are under the window. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

On the Princess site go to "Ships & Experiences" .... Click on Ships , then Deck Plans, and follow instructions to see a picture (which will show the bed location) of any cabin of interest. :)

Edited by OCruisers

I've had the bed both ways. On Star I had an OV on Emerald deck and the bed was not under the window. On Coral I had an aft-facing OV on Baja and the bed was under the window.

BOTH cabins showed the bed under the window on the Princess site deck plans.

Edited by Thrak

This has been a topic that has been much discussed.

And, it is very difficult to know the answer!

It might help to be more specific as to which ship you might be sailing on.

I have found that, as a rule, cabins are 'as shown' with the window above the bed. There are exceptions. When we were planning a possible cruise on the Sapphire, when it was sailing Alaska, I found that there were some OV cabins on plaza deck that had the bed on the side, so that the window as not above/behind the bed.

We recently cruised Alaska on the Coral Princess. I found that the new cabins that were added on Fiesta Deck, not only have the beds on the side wall, like a balcony, but because this area used to be a public area, those windows are nearly 5 ft. picture windows. (loved the cabin and location)

The Princess web-site does NOT show these cabins as OV with bed on the side wall and picture window.

I am thinking that, in every case, this is what the web-site will show for all OV cabins. (not sure about the very newest ships)

The same would hold true on the Island Princess (sister ship to Coral)

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thank you everyone for your replies.

We had OV cabins before and I tried to figure it out but I think your are right on cabins for four the beds are under the window that why it pays to pay attention and make sure you are not booking cabins for four I have that done too.

Thanks again

BTW we are going on the Star our favorite.

I must say I wish they put some sort of code on the deck plan to let you know.

To us it's more about which way the bed faces, fore or aft.

Call me stupid but what does it matter of the bed faces fore or aft? I do not get it.

DON

Call me stupid but what does it matter of the bed faces fore or aft? I do not get it.

DON

What it matters is my wife has a neurological condition and it makes a massive difference to her vertigo attacks the next day.

What it matters is my wife has a neurological condition and it makes a massive difference to her vertigo attacks the next day.

I did not realize that the way the bed faced was important. If the bed does face the wrong way, couldn't she sleep with her head facing forward regardless of whether forward is the front or back of the bed. It would look silly to sleep with your head at the foot of the head but it would solve the vertigo problem.

I am not making light of her condition but it would solve the problem.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

DON

I don't have a neurological problem but I always sleep better when my head is facing forward ... feet facing aft. I noticed this after many many cruises. Why? Not sure ... I just know I sleep better and then my DH is just happier the next day, too.

I did not realize that the way the bed faced was important. If the bed does face the wrong way, couldn't she sleep with her head facing forward regardless of whether forward is the front or back of the bed. It would look silly to sleep with your head at the foot of the head but it would solve the vertigo problem.

I am not making light of her condition but it would solve the problem.

DON

It does, but even easier to get the right orientation to begin with

I don't have a neurological problem but I always sleep better when my head is facing forward ... feet facing aft. I noticed this after many many cruises. Why? Not sure ... I just know I sleep better and then my DH is just happier the next day, too.

Same here. I am sitting here imagining the sensation of being in rough seas with the bow crashing into waves... and that being the direction my feet are pointing. I may be mad, but it doesn't feel right to me :o. I agree with GUT, and I would prefer to select my cabin accordingly rather than be forced to deal with it onboard, especially if there was a medical condition involved. For me it's just personal preference.

Same here. I am sitting here imagining the sensation of being in rough seas with the bow crashing into waves... and that being the direction my feet are pointing. I may be mad, but it doesn't feel right to me :o. I agree with GUT, and I would prefer to select my cabin accordingly rather than be forced to deal with it onboard, especially if there was a medical condition involved. For me it's just personal preference.

Now, I just put my pillows at the foot of the bed instead of fighting it. I suppose if one was an active sleeper, you'd find your pillows on the floor.