Removed from ship in bali for flicking cigarette o/board

Well done that Captain Too many infringements of the sensible and safe rules are ignored like 3 and 4 year olds in the hot tubs with long hair on their own

The rules never apply to those parents either

If you google the daughter it would appear she is quite accustomed to running to Today Tonight and A Current Affair for just about every little event in her life!! Serious attention seeker disorder I think.

And she has been posting this story all over the internet yesterday but daddy's age and specific medical conditions change from tale to tale.

The cruise line did the right thing. We cannot have people like that cruising on ships that show a complete disregard for everyone's safety and the rules. The mans background makes no difference. If he was in the SAS he should know better and I know for a fact that people in the SAS are highly trained to take their rubbish with them so they are not tracked so perhaps he was a washout that did not graduate. Its just poor and inconsiderate behaviour to be honest and typical of smokers to disrespect society rules by discarding their cigarettes anywhere they see fit like out car windows, on footpaths and just about anywhere.

The daughter is certainly trying to get a lot of mileage out of the event. Methinks the word 'compensation' might be looming somewhere; however, if the cruise line has followed its protocols none is due or should be considered.

Well done to P & O, I don't care what he's background is, only a fool would flick a cigarette butt anywhere, let alone on a ship, he certainly got what he deserved and hopefully he will think about his actions next time he has a cigarette.

Edited by lagoon380

Interestingly the article doesn't mention where he was smoking, just that he "had maybe two drags because the weather was horrendous - he butted it out, and without thinking, he flicked it".

What did he butt it out on/in?

If it was one of the provided ashtrays in a smoking area then why didn't he leave the butt there? From what I've seen around the ships I've been on the ashtrays are usually in places where it would be difficult to flick a cigarette overboard without moving away from the ashtray over to the railing.

The way that is written it sounds like he might have butted it out on the railing or something. Perhaps he wasn't even in a designated smoking zone? :eek:

OKJJ, According to one news report, he was at the theatre and stepped out for a cigarette, had a couple and drags then butted it out and flicked it over board. Not sure of where the smoking areas are on P&O so not even sure he was in a permitted area.

I think the cruise line acted correctly and according to their rules. It was not an accident but carelessness and could have been very dangerous for the ship apart from being environmentally irresponsible. I feel slightly bad for him and his daughter but I just hope others get the message as well.

Edited by MicCanberra

I agree with your view that the cruise line acted appropriately, harsh though it might seem. Fire is a huge risk. I also have a feeling like many others that this is not the whole story.

It very rarely is anymore, it is one side or the other and nearly always leaves out many of the facts.

Perfectly Perth, your post prompted me to head to google. She sure likes the hysteria :eek:. I think her last trip to Today Tonight had the desired outcome - and ended with a reputable Australian cosmetic surgery providing her with all expenses paid cosmetic surgery "repairs".

I wonder what will come of this latest "incident". What's the bet Today Tonight has already been approached :rolleyes:.

Edited by mum and son

The fact that he flicked his cigarette "without thinking" suggests he's in the habit of flicking cigarette butts. This does not impress me. I'm a dispatcher for the fire brigade, and we have had plenty of fires - including very serious ones - started by flicked cigarette butts.

The danger on a ship is pretty obvious, stressed at muster, and butts in the ocean doesn't impress me either.

I'm a smoker myself, it's really not hard to do the right thing.

Perfectly Perth, your post prompted me to head to google. She sure likes the hysteria :eek:. I think her last trip to Today Tonight had the desired outcome - and ended with a reputable Australian cosmetic surgery providing her with all expenses paid cosmetic surgery "repairs".

I wonder what will come of this latest "incident". What's the bet Today Tonight has already been approached :rolleyes:.

She seems to be somewhat like an Ambulance chaser?:(

The fact that he flicked his cigarette "without thinking" suggests he's in the habit of flicking cigarette butts. This does not impress me. I'm a dispatcher for the fire brigade, and we have had plenty of fires - including very serious ones - started by flicked cigarette butts.

The danger on a ship is pretty obvious, stressed at muster, and butts in the ocean doesn't impress me either.

I'm a smoker myself, it's really not hard to do the right thing.

Exactly, terribly irresponsible.

Often cruise companies come in for flack and people assume they are not vigilant enough, yet when they do act they cop a serve as well.

In some ways I hope this case gets some publicity but in the ship's favour, with explanations as to why it is a big deal.

I'm not impressed by the daughter and her tantrums. granted, it would be stressful, but she reminds me a lot of kids in school (and some of their parents), they expect second, third and fourth chances for everything.

The fact she is pregnant or her father has health issues is irrelevant.

She said he accidentally flicked the cigarette overboard. It was no accident.

There are a couple of things I think probably could improve.

-At muster, they certainly do mention the dangers of throwing anything overboard. I think they need to spell things out even more clearly, as in-listing some of the sorts of things that can see a person taken off the ship. I know it is not the greeting ships want to give, but maybe at the end of the talk they need to really make it clear.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who go on cruises who assume if they break the rules they will just get a caution, a few minutes of unpleasantness but no worries.

-When someone is put off, they do need to make sure the person has some way to get home, even make the arrangements with the person before they leave. If a person says they wish to make their own arrangements, perhaps sign a paper to that effect.

Edited by sherri3802

Often cruise companies come in for flack and people assume they are not vigilant enough, yet when they do act they cop a serve as well.

In some ways I hope this case gets some publicity but in the ship's favour, with explanations as to why it is a big deal.

I'm not impressed by the daughter and her tantrums. granted, it would be stressful, but she reminds me a lot of kids in school (and some of their parents), they expect second, third and fourth chances for everything.

The fact she is pregnant or her father has health issues is irrelevant.

She said he accidentally flicked the cigarette overboard. It was no accident.

There are a couple of things I think probably could improve.

-At muster, they certainly do mention the dangers of throwing anything overboard. I think they need to spell things out even more clearly, as in-listing some of the sorts of things that can see a person taken off the ship. I know it is not the greeting ships want to give, but maybe at the end of the talk they need to really make it clear.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who go on cruises who assume if they break the rules they will just get a caution, a few minutes of unpleasantness but no worries.

-When someone is put off, they do need to make sure the person has some way to get home, even make the arrangements with the person before they leave. If a person says they wish to make their own arrangements, perhaps sign a paper to that effect.

Agree with this but with regards to the last paragraph - maybe the lawyers here can comment but making sure people have ways to travel home implies some kind of legal responsibility to do so and not sure this lies with the ship once an illegal act important enough to jettison them, has occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No 29 under Terms and Conditions..

Leaving the cruise early

If you are required, or choose, to leave the cruise for any reason (unless caused by our proven negligence or failure to provide services with due care and skill and that are reasonably fit for purpose), we are not responsible for any expenses, including your return home. This also applies if you do not return to the ship in time for sailing after a port visit. If we assist with any costs, you will need to repay us on your return. In addition, you will not be entitled to any refunds.

DM hits the trifecta! In their article he is 57 years old, 58 years old and 60 years old at different times!! :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3646596/Man-kicked-P-O-cruise-Bali-flicking-cigarette-butt-side.html

Also note the daughter switches between 13 and 14 weeks pregnant.

I also found it amusing how Bali is described as "an island nobody has heard of" :rolleyes:

With so many people from Perth holidaying in Bali it is jokingly referred to as our most northern suburb. These people live in Perth and we have so many flights a day between Perth and Bali I am sure he could have found a cheap airfare as well. The flight is only 3.5 hours long.

Edited by frantic36

The Daily Mail story is told exclusively from the daughter's perspective. Let me translate: "Evil, draconian cruise line ruined my sick father's dream vacation over a silly little thing. They caused his caregiver wife enormous worry. And if I miscarry this baby over all the emotional stress they will be responsible!"

For a passenger to be put off a ship there has to be a lot more to the story than is being told to the press. And how is it that a competent man in his 50s is not managing his own medications? Even children with diabetes competently manage their insulin and glucose monitoring.

Earlier there was another story of a "pensioner" being put off a P&O ship allegedly over a crew member doing balcony paint touch-ups getting paint on his clothes. The story, told only from the family's viewpoint, repeatedly referred to him as a "pensioner".

I also found it amusing how Bali is described as "an island nobody has heard of" :rolleyes:

He may have been put off somewhere else in Indonesia, as it says he flew to Denpasar. P&O Indonesian cruises typically stop at Lombok, Komodo Island, Ujung Padang, Probolinggo as well as Bali.

My instinct tells me there is more to this story than just what the daughter is saying.

My instinct tells me there is more to this story than just what the daughter is saying.

One thing I've learnt over the years.

There is almost always more to the story than one side tells.