Passport expiration

geoherb

Well, additional info to consider for those who are planning to renew- from the Conde Nast Traveler site.

As part of the government's efforts to cut down on fraud and forgery, updated security features will be unveiled later this year.

From the passport rule most travelers don't know to State Department suggestions on when to renew (in one word: now), passport news in the past few months has been frequent, wide-ranging, and indicative of wider reform in the coming years. As part of the government's efforts to cut down on fraud, forgery, and misuse, updated security features will be unveiled later this year.

A passport redesign has actually been in the works for several years, as part of the initiative that also eliminated extra pages to increase security. The passport will have an embedded data chip on the information page protected by a polycarbonate coating; this will help prevent your book from getting wet and bending, and—should your passport be stolen—the chip will keep people from Jason Bourne-ing your page and falsifying an identity. The passport number will also be laser cut as tapered, perforated holes through pages—just one of several components of the "Next Generation" passport, including artwork upgrade (better-looking eagles?), new security features such as a watermark, "tactile features," and more "optically variable" inks. In other words: Some designs on pages will be raised, and ink—depending on the viewing angle—will appear to be different colors.

Officials told Condé Nast Traveler they anticipate the Next Generation passport will "roll out sometime in July of 2016." The State Department has said it expects to issue more than 17 million new passports and renewals this year, which is 1.5 million more than those issued in 2015.

I checked this page on HAL's website and read "Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel." The cruise I am thinking of taking leaves in two months. My passport expires in November. And since the cruise is roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska, according to HAL, I don't really even need the passport. Does the "high recommends" phrase mean that HAL enforces this stipulation, or is it as it says just recommended?

After reading 3 pages of self-styled expert contradictory information on Canada-U.S. entrance requirements, I would suggest you would do well to renew your passport as other posters have recommended.

For several posts, you have erroneously argued that a passport would be required for entry into Canada. Now you have changed your argument to one of needing a passport to return to the US. Unfortunately, that too is erroneous. Even the text from the US CBP that you have quoted lists a number of documents other than a passport that are totally acceptable to US authorities under existing legislation.

So, no NEED for a passport in either direction. You can either accept or reject what the CBSA and the US CBP both clearly state, but I'm moving on to enjoy Father's Day! :)

As I have mentioned repeatedly, I was addressing only the OP's situation. The OP has a valid passport, so I said he should use that if he chooses to travel by land into Canada on an excursion out of Skagway. The implication being that he would travel INTO Canada and then BACK to the US. Direction doesn't matter if you plan to do both the same day. I didn't mention the other documents that COULD be used because the OP does not need those documents, since he has a passport. I was not trying to cover ALL possible situations, directions of crossing, countries entered, citizenships, etc. I was addressing the OP's situation. He has a passport. It is valid and unexpired. He can use it for travel to Canada. Period.

Your nit picky arguments are infuriating.

So I'm in a sort of similar spot - except I'm cruising from anchorage to Vancouver. Cruise ends July 10, passport (u.s.) expires July 28. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going through the rather significant trouble of getting it renewed at a passport agency prior to departure.

What would you all do? I know Canada allows it, I'm just worried I won't be allowed to board or, I dunno, just nervous in general.

Edited by Nervous200635

So I'm in a sort of similar spot - except I'm cruising from anchorage to Vancouver. Cruise ends July 10, passport (u.s.) expires July 28. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going through the rather significant trouble of getting it renewed at a passport agency prior to departure.

What would you all do? I know Canada allows it, I'm just worried I won't be allowed to board or, I dunno, just nervous in general.

I would get it expedited & renewed NOW.. You have every right to be nervous.. Having a passport which expires in several months is one thing but having a passport which expires in 18 days is taking a big chance.. What if you are in an accident & need to stay in Canada?

Edited by serendipity1499

I agree with Serendipity, get it renewed.

I have to get mine renewed soon, so I just happened to be checking the turnaround times this evening. As of today, the estimated turnaround for expedited by mail is 3 weeks, so it's too late for you to do that.

I think in-person service has to be within 2 weeks of your travel, and you have to show proof of your travel. That's going to a US government agency. There are passport services that might be a way for you to avoid going in person, but I have no idea how they work. Or how much they charge.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I agree with Serendipity, get it renewed.

I have to get mine renewed soon, so I just happened to be checking the turnaround times this evening. As of today, the estimated turnaround for expedited by mail is 3 weeks, so it's too late for you to do that.

I think in-person service has to be within 2 weeks of your travel, and you have to show proof of your travel. That's going to a US government agency. There are passport services that might be a way for you to avoid going in person, but I have no idea how they work. Or how much they charge.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

That's what they say. As I posted earlier, when I sent mine in for renewal a few weeks ago they were saying six weeks for non-expedited, and mine arrived three weeks after I mailed it. So it could be much quicker.

One reason I do check-in right after I book a trip is that it forces me to double-check passport dates.

I've had a similar experience to TAD2005. We were flying one-way to England for a WB transatlantic, with tickets I had booked myself, not through the cruise line. As I always do, I had all my travel papers in my briefcase. Good thing, because the airline wanted to see proof of my ticket to return to the US.

To add to your experience: Yesterday I arrived in Southampton England by airplane from Nice [my only flights of the whole trip]. I had quite a long, intensive interview with the border agent. I explained about a port call to Portland, Eng from the Prinsendam, flying in from Nice that day, leaving England 4 days later on the QM2 to NYC, then he wanted to know how I was getting home from NYC [Amtrak], I did have all those those documents close at hand had he wanted to see them. They are very careful.

Plus, I need to renew my passport this summer, so I can begin cruising again in October almost right at the 6 months cutoff/deadline.

To add to your experience: Yesterday I arrived in Southampton England by airplane from Nice [my only flights of the whole trip]. I had quite a long, intensive interview with the border agent. I explained about a port call to Portland, Eng from the Prinsendam, flying in from Nice that day, leaving England 4 days later on the QM2 to NYC, then he wanted to know how I was getting home from NYC [Amtrak], I did have all those those documents close at hand had he wanted to see them. They are very careful.
But going back to the original question, and using this as a hard example, the UK immigration officer would not have applied any rule to you other than the published one, which is (assuming that you are a US citizen):-
Passport required.

- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for the period of intended stay.

Or, in other words, you did not need to have six months extra validity on your passport.

By all means, one can have the extra time on one's passport if one prefers. But let's not pretend that this is required if it is not.

My only question would be does your cruiseline require something extra? If not (mainstream line) then I would use it on July 10 and then renew it when I get home. But I personally know that it is perfectly fine; if I were at all unsure or worried about it, I would either seek out the correct information, or perhaps renew early. But my comfort level and knowledge won't help you to decide. You have to do what you are comfortable with. But a US passport is accepted up to midnight on the day of expiry to get back into the US.

As I have mentioned repeatedly, I was addressing only the OP's situation. The OP has a valid passport, so I said he should use that if he chooses to travel by land into Canada on an excursion out of Skagway. The implication being that he would travel INTO Canada and then BACK to the US. Direction doesn't matter if you plan to do both the same day. I didn't mention the other documents that COULD be used because the OP does not need those documents, since he has a passport. I was not trying to cover ALL possible situations, directions of crossing, countries entered, citizenships, etc. I was addressing the OP's situation. He has a passport. It is valid and unexpired. He can use it for travel to Canada. Period.

Your nit picky arguments are infuriating.

Sherry, you really should go back and read what you wrote. You have stated categorically that a passport is required. For example:

Post # 37: "IF they wish to cross by LAND into Canada from Skagway, they will need a valid passport."

Post # 48: "you need one to get BACK INTO the US."

All that I have stated in response is that you do not need a passport, it is but one of several forms of documentation accepted by the CBSA and US CBP.

Now you are saying that you simply didn't mention the other alternatives as the OP has a passport and should use it. Had you said that from the beginning, I would have been in total agreement with you from the start, but until this most recent post, you chose instead to insist that passports were needed, first for entry into Canada and then later for return to the US.

Was I being nitpicky? I think not. There may have been readers who were in possession of the others forms of acceptable documentation who, based on your posts, might have thought that they needed to go out and get a passport. I was simply trying to set the record straight.

Little did I realize what I was starting when I posted my question. Thanks to all who have weighed in. I still haven't booked the cruise. It's two months from today. If I do, I probably won't renew my passport before the cruise. I'll renew it after getting back so there will be plenty of time for it to be processed before our possible cruise in December.

NEWS FLASH ... :D ... We mailed our passport renewal off on JUNE 9th from the local post office - everything they required was included in our packets. We requested standard mailing. We sent them in a way so we could track the packets.

TODAY - JUNE 23 we received our new passports via Priority Mail.

2 weeks to the day from when they were mailed.:D We were shocked!!

NEWS FLASH ... :D ... We mailed our passport renewal off on JUNE 9th from the local post office - everything they required was included in our packets. We requested standard mailing. We sent them in a way so we could track the packets.

TODAY - JUNE 23 we received our new passports via Priority Mail.

2 weeks to the day from when they were mailed.:D We were shocked!!

Thanks for the update - I'll be doing mine about a year from now.

I think it is a good time of the year to do it - the summer abroad passport business is over by now, and the winter cruise passport "rush" probably will not start for a few months.