rough seas between california and australia

The wife and I are more than considering 48 days of cruising between California and Australia . My last big sticking point is Ive heard it can often be rough between California and from Hawaii. I do understand anything can happen at anytime but it would be nice to know ahead of time if there are any trends, We are sailing February from California and back at the end of march. To this point our longest cruises have been 8 to 10 days in Alaska and mexico

thanks in advance for your help

Seas ca be rough any time. That is the trend...

It is frequently discussed on the Hawaii board that the first two days out of the west coast can be cool and rougher. (Same for the last two days going back). As you are sailing in winter, this might be particularly noticeable. But no guarantees. Nobody can give those to you.

I sailed Hawaii to Sydney via NZ in 2014. The two days prior to our arrival in Wellington were very rough. Cabin windows were plated over (so we were told, we had a balcony) and the outer decks were closed as a result of the high winds.

I think it would be reasonable to expect some rough seas on such a long crossing. No one can tell you definitively of course, as I imagine no crossing is quite the same as another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is cyclone season in the South Pacific at that time. The captain should be able to avoid any really bad weather but there is always a risk. Then again you could have beautifully calm seas as we did March last year, Sydney to New Caledonia, a couple of weeks after a major cyclone had passed close to that area.

What anybody else has experienced (unless they have made the sailing MANY times) will not have any relevance to what you might experience.

Additionally, sailing on any ocean for 48 days, and not experiencing any roughness would be record breaking, I am sure.

What anybody else has experienced (unless they have made the sailing MANY times) will not have any relevance to what you might experience.

Additionally, sailing on any ocean for 48 days, and not experiencing any roughness would be record breaking, I am sure.

I did 19 days straight of a mill pond. I was dying for a little bit of rough weather.

Cruising down from Hawaii is mostly tropical and generally calmer than more northern or southern latitudes. Remember the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner?

As previously mentioned, cyclones are a hazard but, with long range weather forecasting nowadays, they can be avoided.

There are 2 patches that can can rough at at times.....crossing the California Current and on approaching NZ and crossing the Kermadec Trench. I have experienced rough seas in both these locations, but again , at other times they have been as calm as a mill pond.

The big thing in the Pacific is the ocean swells. You can have a beautiful sunny and calm day with no wind , but the sea will be heaving with big swells. Weather events hundreds of miles away can influence the sea around you. We have missed out on tendering to Lahaina twice, and Rarotonga once , due to big swells and the weather was great each time.

Crossing the Tasman Sea from NZ to Australia can also be temperamental at times.;)

I have done US to Aust and Aust to US and both times had no problem with weather. Once was in February and the other was in April.

With the weather it is the luck on the draw.

Next year I am doing Aust to US again in April.

What will be will be is my motto!

Chez

I quite enjoy the rough weather. Makes me feel like I'm actually on a ship! Was certainly fun sitting at the champagne bar on Radiance, drinking the afternoon away whilst watching the ocean crashing over itself in blustery waves. One of my best memories from that cruise :-)

I don't mind rough seas on the ship, but I'd don't like over-bouncy tender rides, especially after the one at Geraldton last year where there were problems coming alongside the ship and it took 20 minutes before they managed to tie up.

I refer to our cruise on ye olde Regal Princess (now Pacific Dawn) September 2007, LA to Sydney, her last cruise as Regal Princess before rebirth as Pacific Dawn. Relatively gentle sailing until the last couple of days, after we left Dunedin, for 24 hours, 12-14 metre seas around the bottom of South Island. Ship was damaged and speed reduced to 5-10 knots, so we missed the Fiords. Elevators out of action, buffet closed. Yes that part of the world can be very rough.

There was a video posted on here once, waves hit the 'dome' up top on the ship and waves smashed the bar and showers on pool deck. There was also damage to the bow, crushed metal.

Edited by NSWP

Wow all good to know . Wasn't he asking about the California to Hawaii ? . I like the idea of all those see days

Well the thread is titled California to Australia, so....