Seapass Account settled night before arrival....but wait!

We settled the account, all was secured, off we went. I paid off the remaining balance on the credit card.

Just this morning I noticed in my bank account's statement, two outstanding items from the cruise totaling $28.15 that occurred two days before arrival. These two items weren't on the final statement.

Of course I've forgotten what these items could possibly be - has this happened to you before?

It has happened at least once. I called them up and asked what it was for (minibar) told them I didn't use those items and they took it off. I don't think the bar servers who check the minibar are always accurate.

We settled the account, all was secured, off we went. I paid off the remaining balance on the credit card.

Just this morning I noticed in my bank account's statement, two outstanding items from the cruise totaling $28.15 that occurred two days before arrival. These two items weren't on the final statement.

Of course I've forgotten what these items could possibly be - has this happened to you before?

Are they on your bank statement as pending charges or finalized charges? We almost always have a few pending charges that just go away after 2-3 days. If they are finalized charges, you'd probably do best to call royal and try to get an explanation. We had an "art auction" charge erroneously added to our account last May for $330 :eek: Took about 30 minutes, but we ended up getting the charge refunded.

It has happened at least once. I called them up and asked what it was for (minibar) told them I didn't use those items and they took it off. I don't think the bar servers who check the minibar are always accurate.

We have had that happen also. Just called and told them I never use the mini bar items and they took it off right away.

Disembarked on the 19th all pending Charges finally fell away yesterday and then this morning a new charge hit ;)

Glad I did not use a debit card because at one time the pending charges hit close to $1700 vs the actual bill of $725. That is reason enough to tell anyone a Debit card would be a huge problem. But the pending a took forever and this was the RCCL Visa card thru B of A

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

Disembarked on the 19th all pending Charges finally fell away yesterday and then this morning a new charge hit ;)

Glad I did not use a debit card because at one time the pending charges hit close to $1700 vs the actual bill of $725. That is reason enough to tell anyone a Debit card would be a huge problem. But the pending a took forever and this was the RCCL Visa card thru B of A

I only use a debit card, always have. Credit Cards are bad, doesn't matter if you "pay them off" every month, welcome to the less than 1% if you really don't ever carry a balance.

A hold like that has NEVER been placed on my debit card, pending charge or whatever you want to call it. Seems to me your post suggests that it would be reason enough to never use credit cards again.

I only use a debit card, always have. Credit Cards are bad, doesn't matter if you "pay them off" every month, welcome to the less than 1% if you really don't ever carry a balance.

A hold like that has NEVER been placed on my debit card, pending charge or whatever you want to call it. Seems to me your post suggests that it would be reason enough to never use credit cards again.

How exactly are credit cards bad even if you pay them off? Superior fraud protection, no risk of overdraft fees if there's a mistake on your end or your bank's end, and cash back or other rewards. Plus they build up your credit score which impacts rent, mortgage, car shopping, insurance, and a whole host of other aspects. Not using a credit card as a personal decision is fine, but there's no benefit to demonizing them out right.

Your bank may just hide holds from you, or you may not be checking online, but there are definitely holds placed on your debit card. It's industry standard for all electronic purchases, i.e. anything that you use a card for, debit or credit. The moment your card is swiped, a hold is sent to your bank for the estimated amount of the charge, then a final amount is set, your bank confirms the transaction, and then removes the hold. Some banks may process the holds quicker than others, but they all use them.

I'm at guest services every morning around 7:00 AM and ask for a printout of my account. The early morning folks are usually a fun group and eventually have the printout ready before my arrival.

Any differences between my receipts, OBC, excursions, etc. can be quickly researched.

Being proactive is so much easier than having surprises during the final days of your cruise or after you arrive home.

These issues credit/debit, don't make much sense to me. :)

How exactly are credit cards bad even if you pay them off? Superior fraud protection, no risk of overdraft fees if there's a mistake on your end or your bank's end, and cash back or other rewards. Plus they build up your credit score which impacts rent, mortgage, car shopping, insurance, and a whole host of other aspects. Not using a credit card as a personal decision is fine, but there's no benefit to demonizing them out right.

Your bank may just hide holds from you, or you may not be checking online, but there are definitely holds placed on your debit card. It's industry standard for all electronic purchases, i.e. anything that you use a card for, debit or credit. The moment your card is swiped, a hold is sent to your bank for the estimated amount of the charge, then a final amount is set, your bank confirms the transaction, and then removes the hold. Some banks may process the holds quicker than others, but they all use them.

All debt, except (some) mortgages, encourages people to live beyond their means. You as an individual, may not be currently, but the credit card companies want you to. It's how they make their money after all. The only thing worse than credit cards are loans on new cars.

If I asked you to give me $20,000 and I would give you $16,000 in return you would laugh at me. With a new car loan though your are doing exactly that the instant you sign your name.

Debt and the constant pursuit of a better credit score is what caused the most recent financial crisis, and will cause the next one.

Once upon a time credit cards and mortgages used to be an okay thing because they were handled by local banks. Now you may write your check to Chase but God only knows who is really loaning you the money. The housing crisis was created by big banks and our government working in concert, scratching each others backs. Mortgages started getting bundled into investments, this investment wasn't invented from scratch, they used how credit cards are handled as a model. Very good debt combined with a whole lot of very very bad debt and spread across so many investment vehicles no one really knows who in the end is holding the note. Saying credit cards aren't bad is like saying the mortgage crisis wasn't bad, when in reality they are one in the same.

When it all collapsed, the government slapped the bankers hands with a wink and a nod, because someone had to take the blame, and passed new regulations to stop it from ever happening again. Not on the credit cards though, just mortgages, and just for a little while. Right now if you are poor enough (yes, poor enough) you can get an FHA loan with no money down again. Just like before the collapse.

In order for your bank to stamp that MC or Visa logo on your debit card the bank HAS to agree to some of the same protections of a normal credit card, the bank MAY agree to all of the same protections. The key is finding those banks.

If I steal your credit card I can charge up to your limit, if you steal my debit card you are getting $300 no matter how much I have in the bank. Unless I change it to a higher amount.

Debt is bad, the only debt you should have is a mortgage, and you should be working toward getting it paid off early.

I've heard all the arguments on how I'm wrong, all you have to be is responsible. You know the system is rigged, but you know how to play their game and beat them at it. You will have a miserable life if you have a bad credit score, I've seen those commercials too. You are fed, and believe this line: "...your credit score which impacts rent, mortgage, car shopping, insurance, and a whole host of other aspects." You walk in with your 800 credit score and 47% income to debt ratio, and I walk in with my 320 credit score and 0% income to debt ratio see who walks out with a better deal.

3a9386fe5e6594fd4a250c8d95367539.jpg

I can't remember the last time I carried a balance. With a credit score of 320 you can not even get a Govt loan and I have 30 yrs off Mortgage lending to back that up!

All cruise lines put holds on funds which affects Debit Cards the most. I never paid attention before simply reported what I found interesting and reported my experience.

If you choose to not protect yourself with a credit card in the event of a travel emergency then God help you.

All debt, except (some) mortgages, encourages people to live beyond their means. You as an individual, may not be currently, but the credit card companies want you to. It's how they make their money after all. The only thing worse than credit cards are loans on new cars.

If I asked you to give me $20,000 and I would give you $16,000 in return you would laugh at me. With a new car loan though your are doing exactly that the instant you sign your name.

Debt and the constant pursuit of a better credit score is what caused the most recent financial crisis, and will cause the next one.

Once upon a time credit cards and mortgages used to be an okay thing because they were handled by local banks. Now you may write your check to Chase but God only knows who is really loaning you the money. The housing crisis was created by big banks and our government working in concert, scratching each others backs. Mortgages started getting bundled into investments, this investment wasn't invented from scratch, they used how credit cards are handled as a model. Very good debt combined with a whole lot of very very bad debt and spread across so many investment vehicles no one really knows who in the end is holding the note. Saying credit cards aren't bad is like saying the mortgage crisis wasn't bad, when in reality they are one in the same.

When it all collapsed, the government slapped the bankers hands with a wink and a nod, because someone had to take the blame, and passed new regulations to stop it from ever happening again. Not on the credit cards though, just mortgages, and just for a little while. Right now if you are poor enough (yes, poor enough) you can get an FHA loan with no money down again. Just like before the collapse.

In order for your bank to stamp that MC or Visa logo on your debit card the bank HAS to agree to some of the same protections of a normal credit card, the bank MAY agree to all of the same protections. The key is finding those banks.

If I steal your credit card I can charge up to your limit, if you steal my debit card you are getting $300 no matter how much I have in the bank. Unless I change it to a higher amount.

Debt is bad, the only debt you should have is a mortgage, and you should be working toward getting it paid off early.

I've heard all the arguments on how I'm wrong, all you have to be is responsible. You know the system is rigged, but you know how to play their game and beat them at it. You will have a miserable life if you have a bad credit score, I've seen those commercials too. You are fed, and believe this line: "...your credit score which impacts rent, mortgage, car shopping, insurance, and a whole host of other aspects." You walk in with your 800 credit score and 47% income to debt ratio, and I walk in with my 320 credit score and 0% income to debt ratio see who walks out with a better deal.

Please just stop blaming an institution for people not acting responsibly. Nobody forced people to take loans out that they knew they couldn't afford or getting into a contract that they had no business signing. You can continue to blame these big entities for the problems that happened but in the end it mostly comes down to irresponsible people trying to get something for nothing. As for a debit card - I don't want anyone to have access to my accounts - I would rather just carry around the cash and fend off anyone that tries to take it.

All debt' date=' except (some) mortgages, encourages people to live beyond their means. You as an individual, may not be currently, but the credit card companies want you to. It's how they make their money after all. The only thing worse than credit cards are loans on new cars.

I've heard all the arguments on how I'm wrong, all you have to be is responsible. You know the system is rigged, but you know how to play their game and beat them at it. You will have a miserable life if you have a bad credit score, I've seen those commercials too. You are fed, and believe this line: "...your credit score which impacts rent, mortgage, car shopping, insurance, and a whole host of other aspects." You walk in with your 800 credit score and 47% income to debt ratio, [b']and I walk in with my 320 credit score and 0% income to debt ratio see who walks out with a better deal.[/b]

There so many misstatements and outright fantasies in this post that there's really no good place to start. The last sentence says it all - the poster doesn't have a clue what he's talking about - there is no way to have zero debt AND a 320 credit score unless you have a string of bankruptcies in your credit record. With that low of a score the only loan you'll ever get is from a loan shark - and good luck with that;)

But, if you steal my CC and charge up to my limit, you know how much of that I have to pay? $0. How much of the $300 I've used on your debit card comes out of your account?

I'll readily admit we're not paying everything off every month. I don't like it, actually went a year and a half with no debt and am aiming to get back there. However, that's not the fault of the card, it's *MY* issue.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

WOW........glad you have it all figured out........ But thanks for the laughs!

Edited by bouhunter

Are they on your bank statement as pending charges or finalized charges? We almost always have a few pending charges that just go away after 2-3 days. If they are finalized charges, you'd probably do best to call royal and try to get an explanation. We had an "art auction" charge erroneously added to our account last May for $330 :eek: Took about 30 minutes, but we ended up getting the charge refunded.

Yes! Turned out to be "pending" charges, just as she stipulated yesterday over the phone...and they went away. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on this.

Yes! Turned out to be "pending" charges, just as she stipulated yesterday over the phone...and they went away. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on this.

Glad to hear things cleared up.

I don't carry a balance. Who knew I was so elite?:p

This is of course all of your opinion. Paying now for something I can pay for later, at no additional cost, is foolish IMO. Yes, the credit card companies want us to carry balances - those of us who don't are known as deadbeats (I was in financial services for 16 years). But those of us who have a bit of discipline and a desire to lower our tax bills can use leverage to our benefit. Not to mention taking advantage of mileage and points promotions. I'm glad you're happy with your system; I'm happy with mine.

Debt is dangerous because it can easily be misused. But so can alcohol, drugs (legal and otherwise), fast food, fast cars and speedboats. We all manage risk on a daily basis, some better than others.

I'm always amused by the morality given to debt instruments. They are a leveraging tool that can be used or misused.

Personal responsibility.

If someone runs up charges on your debit card, you have no access to your money until such time that the bank gets involved and removes holds or puts the funds back in your account.

Meanwhile, I bought my last car in cash (ok, I wrote a check... but only because there were no loans available at a low enough interest rate that i was willing to finance), our only debt is the mortgage, and we use credit cards for as much purchasing as we can for the rewards , and the purchasing is all budgeted and backed by real money in our accounts.

...and all this time I've been blaming Congress, Carter, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II. Who knew??? :eek: You can't make this stuff up...oh wait, you did. :D:p:D

Neither will get you a best loan. You seem to not understand how credit scores are determined.

Likewise, what about all the people that took out a mortgage hoping that the lies they told on the credit application don't matter until they can flip the place for some cash.

You also most likely have a debit card that is also a credit card. Do you enter a pin for ever transaction? If not, you are using credit.

Explain how you would pay $2000 for a hospital stay in a foreign county with only $300 available on your debit card?

Why are you afraid to get credit card? Are you afraid you could not responsible handle it?

Getting back to the OP..we recently got off Harmony and when we returned home there was a charge on our CC that ironically added up to the six cans of pop +18% in the fridge. As I did a sweep of the cabin before we left I jokingly said to the DH that I bet we get charged for them! I have no idea why I said that. We certainly didn't take them as we were on our way to the airport. I have a terrible sneeking suspicion that the cabin steward maybe needed them.

Explain how you would pay $2000 for a hospital stay in a foreign county with only $300 available on your debit card?

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with your response to the other poster, but the debit card limits have now gone individualized. My husband's debit card even differs from mine. I can get $410 from an ATM/day, and charge around $4500 on the debit card.

(But I use credit responsibly... and we have an 800+ credit score with paid off credit cards every month.)

I can only imagine how having a 320 credit score would cripple my financial and employment opportunities... yikes!

For the OP: we have settled with credit cards and come home to weird charges, too. Random dining room charges for us.

Edited by LadyShiva