Formal night - no jacket ok?

snoopy5386

We have noticed that Princess over the years has become more and more informal on Formal nights. What's sad is on our last Alaska cruise

a young couple standing in line to the MDR really stood out and not for

the reason you would think. He was in a tux and she was in a knockout

Designer floor length dress.

I tend to agree with others. I'm betting that right after the 1st of the year Princess will no longer have "formal" nights. I'm surprised they've held out this long. I like to dress up and still will but think making "formal attire" optional is the preference of the majority. Would be interested to see what the survey revealed.

We have noticed that Princess over the years has become more and more informal on Formal nights. What's sad is on our last Alaska cruise

a young couple standing in line to the MDR really stood out and not for

the reason you would think. He was in a tux and she was in a knockout

Designer floor length dress.

That might have been because they only obtained information from the media sources beforehand & not read the bulletin boards to find out the truth of what the reality is about formal dress on the Princess ships.

I'd venture to say there are many other people who wouldn't go to the trouble of lugging formal clothing if they only had know what is actually tolerated prior to sailing.

On our recent Diamond cruise, the majority of men wore jackets, but there were definitely some that did not. They were admitted to the dining room with no problem. They seemed to fit in just fine as far as I could see. I wore a jacket, but am looking forward to the day on Princess when "business casual / country club casual" is the norm for every night, as it is on many lines now. If others want to continue wearing formal attire, they are certainly welcome. The two forms of dress should be able to co-exist peacefully, as they do on land!

From the Princess website:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

So, as I said before, your host is requesting a certain dress. Asking please. As "the consummate host", they most likely won't make a fuss over a guest disregarding their request (just like if you were the host).

My take on this is this - if you were the host, and some folks decided a dress code for your party didn't apply to them, would you be upset, or ignore it? Would you say something to the friend that decided they should be exempt from your request? Would you be upset that your efforts of dressy were sabotaged?

I, for one, would not be amused if that happened at one of my parties. To me, it is tantamount to the friend telling me that I don't count, and they are more important than I am.

I apply the same rule to this situation, or, any that has a dress code. Their turf. Their game. Their rules (or requests).

If I don't want to follow their requests, I should take full advantage of the the alternatives provided.

Would you go to Oman and only bring sleeveless clothing? Would you go to a formal wedding in dockers?

On the last cruise DW and I were on, we had the "delight" to have to sit near a rebel to the cause, who came in on formal night in a short sleeve shirt and his arms were fully covered in tattoos. But then the problem may have been my old age eyesight. What I thought were tattoos might well have been a nice designer shirt. Another bottle of Camus please my friendly waiter.:D

Hahahahaha....too funny.:D We are first time Princess cruisers. Our next cruises will take us away from home for 2 months (including 10 days in the Cook Islands) and involve a lot of exploring where casual clothes, good walking shoes and layers are the order of the day. We will definitely not have room for formal wear but will be dressed nicely for all meals in the dining room whether formal nights or not. We do not care if others dress formally or resort casual. Everyone should feel comfortable in the clothes they wear. We apologize if what we wear affects someone else's enjoyment of their dinner but do not intend to pay exorbitant extra baggage fees on airlines in order to bring formal clothes which could possibly only be worn for 10% of our trip.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

So, as I said before, your host is requesting a certain dress. Asking please. As "the consummate host", they most likely won't make a fuss over a guest disregarding their request (just like if you were the host).

My take on this is this - if you were the host, and some folks decided a dress code for your party didn't apply to them, would you be upset, or ignore it? Would you say something to the friend that decided they should be exempt from your request? Would you be upset that your efforts of dressy were sabotaged?

I, for one, would not be amused if that happened at one of my parties. To me, it is tantamount to the friend telling me that I don't count, and they are more important than I am.

I apply the same rule to this situation, or, any that has a dress code. Their turf. Their game. Their rules (or requests).

If I don't want to follow their requests, I should take full advantage of the the alternatives provided.

Would you go to Oman and only bring sleeveless clothing? Would you go to a formal wedding in dockers?

I am the kind of friend that does not tell my friends how to live their lives or what to wear. I enjoy their company and friendship and accept them the way they are. I do not really have any controlling, overbearing or uptight friends....thats why I like Princess because they are friendly and not stiff!!! :D

Formal

You are absoluty right but you missed on item. Their rules, their turf, their games and finally their authority to enforce them anyway they want to. And they are doing exactly that. Not to your liking you are free to excersize the alternatives. Please do.

We like to dress for dinner - I usually wear a dress and heels on casual nights also - but I can't be bothered to worry about what everyone else is wearing. So long as you're clean, clothed, and kind to your tablemates and waiters, I'll happily sit with you.

We like to dress for dinner - I usually wear a dress and heels on casual nights also - but I can't be bothered to worry about what everyone else is wearing. So long as you're clean, clothed, and kind to your tablemates and waiters, I'll happily sit with you.

I know right! :)

from the princess website:

Formal

when formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the traditional dining and anytime dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

so, as i said before, your host is requesting a certain dress. Asking please. As "the consummate host", they most likely won't make a fuss over a guest disregarding their request (just like if you were the host).

I, for one, would not be amused if that happened at one of my parties. To me, it is tantamount to the friend telling me that i don't count, and they are more important than i am.

If i don't want to follow their requests, i should take full advantage of the the alternatives provided.

Would you go to oman and only bring sleeveless clothing? Would you go to a formal wedding in dockers?

+1.

The dress code is listed in the FAQ section on the Princess website and is titled PACKING SUGGESTIONS...the ONLY thing stated that is officially NOT allowed in the MDR is swimwear, shorts, frayed jeans, ballcaps and flipflops....all the rest of this posted here is uptight rhetoric....it is funny though that even 8 months after X has gotten rid of formal night the "Formal Warriors" on the X board are STILL trying to convince everyone that tuxes should be and are being worn by the majority when in fact its a VERY small minority in tuxes or even suits, maybe 5% in the 2 cruises I have been on since the change....funny though, my dinners were still excellent and the company fantastic in my dockers and floral print shirts during evening chic nights! :eek:

Edited by SheriffJoe

Can someone please explain what on earth a docker is.:)

Is it a port worker,maybe someone from a space station.

Docker is a brand of mens pants in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Signature-Khaki-Classic-Pleated/dp/B002APVGY2/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1467531446&sr=1-2&nodeID=1040658&keywords=dockers

The dress code is listed in the FAQ section on the Princess website and is titled PACKING SUGGESTIONS...the ONLY thing stated that is officially NOT allowed in the MDR is swimwear, shorts, frayed jeans, ballcaps and flipflops....all the rest of this posted here is uptight rhetoric....it is funny though that even 8 months after X has gotten rid of formal night the "Formal Warriors" on the X board are STILL trying to convince everyone that tuxes should be and are being worn by the majority when in fact its a VERY small minority in tuxes or even suits, maybe 5% in the 2 cruises I have been on since the change....funny though, my dinners were still excellent and the company fantastic in my dockers and floral print shirts during evening chic nights! :eek:

??? Here is what I see when I go the FAQ section pertains to clothing recommendations:

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

I don't think people here are posting rhetoric. I think that they are trying to reconcile the posted instruction to "please observe the dress code" with the more lax enforcement of that code. But none of this stuff is made up or rhetorical.

Formal

I would like to point out that "evening gowns and cocktail dress" do not include black slacks and a 'sparkly top'. If Princess starts requiring at least a dark suit for men, then they need to enforce the 'suggestions' for women as well.

??? Here is what i see when i go the faq section pertains to clothing recommendations:

you should dress for a cruise with princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart casual and formal.

Smart casual

guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

pants and open-neck shirts for men

inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

formal

when formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the traditional dining and anytime dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

i don't think people here are posting rhetoric. I think that they are trying to reconcile the posted instruction to "please observe the dress code" with the more lax enforcement of that code. But none of this stuff is made up or rhetorical.

Exactly.

Not everyone "dresses down" on formal night. My DH will wear a dark suit with his shirt and tie. I would have bought him a tux, but thought he would get more use out of a dark suit.

For our upcoming Panama cruise, I just bought a new mermaid full-length gown. DH said he loved it, lol.

We don't dress up for others, but for ourselves because we like looking at each our in our "fancy" clothing. I vote for you to bring the tux.

Thank you Party Barbie! I agree with you that DH and DW should dress for each other! My DH and I are the same way and enjoy seeing each other in formal wear a couple of nights on a cruise. My DH looks amazing in a suit and tie, and he knows it! LOL!

Is it really so hard to pack a jacket? No.

Happy sailing in Panama!

We are coming up on our Alaska cruise soon and the packing list is long. Can DH get away without a sport coat/suit jacket on formal night? He would wear dress pants, dress shirt and tie. Will he be turned away or is this ok?

He will not be turned away. And he will not be the only one leaving a jacket at home, especially on this itinerary where people have added and packed for extra days at land. If you don't mind him going without, he will be "ok".

Personal expressions and opinions here are not what is the real enforcement of "formal night" guidelines on Princess. There will be more men without jackets than wearing a tux.