Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

NCL needs a reality check on what they are. I understand they now think they want to be a luxury line and want to chase away the cost conscious cruisers. NCL at it's best can hope to compete with RC. Beyond that, not a chance.

I don't think that's necessarily their motive here. I think NCL is -- like much of the travel industry -- attempting to disguise costs. They realize that there seems to be a psychological difference between pricing a cabin at $800 and charging $200 in extras than pricing a cabin at $1000. It's not much different from hotel resort fees, or airline add ons, or the well understood phenomenon that "$6.99" causes radically different consumer behavior from "$7.00."

I don't understand why "$699 per person" plus $94 in DSC is a vastly superior marketing option than "$793 per person" with no DSC, but it is. Part of it is that some people are misled and don't understand they have to pay an extra $100 per week per person. But even for those who get it, there is some strong marketing force that makes it effective in a way that is hard to understand but clearly is working. If they push too far, it will stop, but then cruise fares will just go up.

For those who do not wish to do without bottled water, NCL has just supplemented its cruise fare by tens of dollars per person. It is betting that this extra cost will outweigh the business it loses. By and large this seems to be working. This board is filled with "they've gone too far" every time it happens, but that seems to not be the case or they wouldn't keep doing it. As we saw with the rule about taking food to rooms, if the pressure to the bottom line outweighs the benefit, they will stop.

When NCL makes a change that's in the customer's favor (hell even a neutral change), then look for a different reaction. With the years of fare increases, fee increases, and take-aways, and cut-backs, what reaction do you expect?

It seems you, and many others, are intent on ignoring the big picture and would rather focus on a bottle of water.

If they had instituted the exact same change but simultaneously announced a reasonable

charge for bottled water , like Carnival did , much of the anger would have been reduced .

While you have a point NCLfamily (although I'm suspicious of your CC name ;) ) sometimes it's

about minimizing damage . And dare I say treating your customers with fairness.

I don't even care if they increase the UBP package by a considerable amount per day to make up for the additions. Including water bottles and specialty coffees at minimum. To be in line with other programs it should also include canned soda.

I'm really hoping that is the next change and is announced soon.

They would absolutely use this as an excuse to increase the UBP package price considerably, so I'm hoping you are wrong. I don't care to pay an inflated 18% on the package price for things I don't want.

Although I would never consider buying the UBP at even the current price, the "free" promo UBP given with booking is nice, even with having to pay 18% on the package price. But if they up the price, we'll pay even more for the 18%. I don't drink pop, and rarely a specialty coffee. If I want one, I'd rather pay a couple bucks rather than pay an inflated price for things I don't want.

Most companies seem interested in increasing customer satisfaction. It seems that all of NCL's recent changes are anti-customer satisfaction. :mad:

Customer satisfaction is not because companies are nice. It is to increase or preserve business. NCL seems to have found that any negatives from nickel and diming are outweighed by the advantage to the bottom line. I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been more of a revolt and people speaking with their wallets, but there apparently hasn't. Maybe it will eventually hit critical mass but it hasn't yet.

Just wanted to point out that, aside from airlines, just about every other business allows you to bring bottled water inside, even if they also sell it.

The fact that they are going as far to ban WATER is pretty damn offensive.

It's even more offensive that this is occurring with two weeks notice, which is 76 days after some final payment dates.

Added to the list.

• Nickelodeon gone
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  • Cake Boss gone
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  • DSC raised twice
  • drink prices raised
  • 18% gratuity on drinks
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone
  • Fireworks gone
  • UDP is now SDP
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  • Blue Man Group gone
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse.
  • SDP price increased.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food.
  • AARP discount gone.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561
  • Water, soda and juices can not be brought on board either as carry-on or checked luggage https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

You can add the AARP discount is gone.

Just wanted to point out that, aside from airlines, just about every other business allows you to bring bottled water inside, even if they also sell it.

It's even more offensive that this is occurring with two weeks notice, which is 76 days after some final payment dates.

And actually airlines don't stop you, it's the airport security. Once through I buy a bottle of water in the terminal cheaper than onboard the plane!

So if it's a security concern why not leave that to the terminal authorities to screen in a post security shop sealed packages of water bottles for people to buy and carry onboard? At airports it's not airlines that screen water it's the airport authority that probably charges a small fee for the airside shops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent by NCL today

As your cruise approaches, we would like to inform you of a recent policy change effective July 15. The safety and security of our guests are always our top priority and to ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for you, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages on board our ships, either as carry-on or checked luggage.

Exceptions to this policy are purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula, and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard for guests 21 years of age or older and subject to screening and a corkage fee. Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time-consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and compliance with this change, and we look forward to welcoming you on your cruise. More information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-to-bring.

There is always final payments every single day.

This is not that big of a deal that everyone is making it out to be. The ship water is actually better than bottled water. Most people get the UBP so you can get all the soda you want unless you don't like certain brands.

They are probably sick of all the delivering and processing of all the packs of water, soda, etc when boarding. I don't blame them for this at all.

Even though I used to bring in soda before I think it's more pain in the ass to lug all this soda. I think you all can survive a week without it.

I agree with the poster who suggested that everyone holding a cruise next cert should demand a refund

After the POA repositioning cruise, I contacted NCL and insisted that my certificate to be refunded, minus the OBC. I got the remaining back of $400 and it was after the 30 day period when you can get a refund. Fasted check from them ever..2 weeks.

After the POA repositioning cruise, I contacted NCL and insisted that my certificate to be refunded, minus the OBC. I got the remaining back of $400 and it was after the 30 day period when you can get a refund. Fasted check from them ever..2 weeks.

Good for you!!!!!

Lol you must have had something really good on ncl!! Lol

Edited by Crusin6

Buy ONE bottle of water on the ship and refill it. They alsos did not say you cannot bring an empty container on board and fill it with the FREE water a much as you please! :)

Now, that's what I always do, but I still like to bring bottled water in my carry on, without dumping it, this is ridiculous, I stopped booking with them with all the up charges . Just go on a short cruise time to time with my daughter as she likes NCL,

I'm not asking for a refund....you just made that up

My suggestion is that if a holder of a cruise next doesn't like the changes that they should ask for a refund

If every cruise next holder asked....I.e. Demanded a refund then Ncl must listen up

If someone holds a cert and is unhappy with the changes...being a holder of the cert and asking g for a refund is just ammo

Btw if you buy a cert you do have 30 days to cancel it

If you charged it more than 30 days ago you can dispute it on your credit card....why you ask? Because it's not the same product anymore. You bought that cert under a certain set of rules....and now Ncl has changed those rules

I know posters live to be warm and fuzzy....but seriously....don't confuse that with being walked all over

If the water thing is that important to you and you hold certs....then use that to your benefit and demand a refund or dispute your credit card....

You will win....because Ncl is not delivering on their promise

Of course the Ncl email does pull the safety and security of our pax thing....probably to cover them from pax wanting refunds....so to that my argument would be....

Well Ncl since you so apparantly have safety concerns....well so do I...and therefore do not want to cruise your ships due to these concerns that you have now communicated to me and I expect you to honor my request for a refund due to yours as well as my safety and security concerns

While it might not work after final payment it should be enough of a valid argument for them refunding your certs if they were bought more than 30 days ago

Just fight fire with fire and play the same game with Ncl that they play with their pax

Of course we all know this water thing has nothing to do with safety....if it did it would be in effect immediately not 2 weeks from

Now

Sorry, I read it that you were dissatisfied and wanted a refund, but I do agree with you. If someone is upset, either ask for a refund for a cruise next certificate or they should cancel their cruise, as that is the best way to get NCL's attention.

Customer satisfaction is not because companies are nice. It is to increase or preserve business. NCL seems to have found that any negatives from nickel and diming are outweighed by the advantage to the bottom line. I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been more of a revolt and people speaking with their wallets, but there apparently hasn't. Maybe it will eventually hit critical mass but it hasn't yet.

My money is walking. Last cruise booked with them. No intention of booking another without significant changes.

There is always final payments every single day.

This is not that big of a deal that everyone is making it out to be. The ship water is actually better than bottled water. Most people get the UBP so you can get all the soda you want unless you don't like certain brands.

They are probably sick of all the delivering and processing of all the packs of water, soda, etc when boarding. I don't blame them for this at all.

Even though I used to bring in soda before I think it's more pain in the ass to lug all this soda. I think you all can survive a week without it.

The ship water is not better than bottled water. It has salt in it, in fact so much salt that my feet swell after a few days, and it is not from the food. In the dining room, I do not eat off of the menu, every night I have fish with no salt on it, and no salt on my steamed veggies. I watch everything that I eat at the buffet, no fried foods, no foods in sauce etc.

For me its the price gauging for the water that infuriates me plus the gratuity fee. Is someone going to put the water in my cabin fridge and open a bottle for me every day? What service am I paying for? Them to deliver it to my room? smh

Charge a reasonable amount for water. They probably buy millions of cases of water each year for their ships.

I have never had to lug my water when going on board. I leave it with the porter with my luggage and I tip them.

Edited by SASSYnLV

Think of it this way...they are saving the environment from TONS of plastic waste. The water on the ship is the same water that's in those plastic bottles. It's all just water...and clean water, at that!

As far as other lines go, Carnival already has this policy in place, RCCL is expected to follow suit, its been an open question whether NCL or RCCL would go first.

Huh?

Carnivals policy is allowing 1 bottle of wine per person, cans and drinks in cartons okay too up to 12oz per container. just no plastic bottles brought on.

RCI policy is 2 bottles of wine per room, and they have not allowed carry on cans or bottles of soft drinks/water in years, though they rarely enforce it.

Think of it this way...they are saving the environment from TONS of plastic waste. The water on the ship is the same water that's in those plastic bottles. It's all just water...and clean water, at that!

The ship recycles. And will still sell you water.

I'm not asking for a refund....you just made that up

My suggestion is that if a holder of a cruise next doesn't like the changes that they should ask for a refund

If every cruise next holder asked....I.e. Demanded a refund then Ncl must listen up

If someone holds a cert and is unhappy with the changes...being a holder of the cert and asking g for a refund is just ammo

Btw if you buy a cert you do have 30 days to cancel it

If you charged it more than 30 days ago you can dispute it on your credit card....why you ask? Because it's not the same product anymore. You bought that cert under a certain set of rules....and now Ncl has changed those rules

I know posters live to be warm and fuzzy....but seriously....don't confuse that with being walked all over

If the water thing is that important to you and you hold certs....then use that to your benefit and demand a refund or dispute your credit card....

You will win....because Ncl is not delivering on their promise

Of course the Ncl email does pull the safety and security of our pax thing....probably to cover them from pax wanting refunds....so to that my argument would be....

Well Ncl since you so apparantly have safety concerns....well so do I...and therefore do not want to cruise your ships due to these concerns that you have now communicated to me and I expect you to honor my request for a refund due to yours as well as my safety and security concerns

While it might not work after final payment it should be enough of a valid argument for them refunding your certs if they were bought more than 30 days ago

Just fight fire with fire and play the same game with Ncl that they play with their pax

Of course we all know this water thing has nothing to do with safety....if it did it would be in effect immediately not 2 weeks from

Now

I'd be more inclined to just sell them to the highest bidder on eBay.