Warning passport 6 months validity required Carnival

Posters on Facebook have warned that some guests on the Carnival Spirit were denied boarding today because their passports did not meet the requirements in the cruise ticket contract. The passport needs to be valid for 6 months from the day your cruise finishes.

Posters on Facebook have warned that some guests on the Carnival Spirit were denied boarding today because their passports did not meet the requirements in the cruise ticket contract. The passport needs to be valid for 6 months from the day your cruise finishes.

Nothing unusual about that. It is stated in their terms & conditions.

They're just doing what the destination countries require them to.

Same thing if you front up at the airport for a flight to most other countries, with only a few months left on your passport. Denied boarding.

The reason is they get fined and are responsible for returning you if you are denied entry to the country for this.

They're just doing what the destination countries require them to.

Same thing if you front up at the airport for a flight to most other countries, with only a few months left on your passport. Denied boarding.

The reason is they get fined and are responsible for returning you if you are denied entry to the country for this.

Same thing can happen if you are flying to join a cruise that is sailing back home and you only have a one way ticket into a country . The airline will want to sight your cruise documents and will probably photocopy them so that they are protected.

I just don't get why people book or buy anything and don't check terms.

Exactly, them's the rules, passengers fault. No further correspondence will be entered into.

Standard requirement unless it is a domestic cruise.:D

Ok - so I had this conversation with my sister last night. Her son's passport will have 6 month's validity when we depart Aus but he passes the 6 month validity mark two days before the end of the cruise.

The cruise is to NZ - and my sister phoned Immigration and was told that for Aus and NZ you can travel between the two up until the passport's expiry date... but that's just for Aus/NZ only, not other countries.

I told her to just get him a new passport - but she knows everything :rolleyes: - so at least now I can point her in the direction of the Princess terms and conditions... they can deny boarding regardless of what the Government dept says! I knew I would find a better argument.

Thanks again Cruise Critic peeps.

Ok - so I had this conversation with my sister last night. Her son's passport will have 6 month's validity when we depart Aus but he passes the 6 month validity mark two days before the end of the cruise.

The cruise is to NZ - and my sister phoned Immigration and was told that for Aus and NZ you can travel between the two up until the passport's expiry date... but that's just for Aus/NZ only, not other countries.

I told her to just get him a new passport - but she knows everything :rolleyes: - so at least now I can point her in the direction of the Princess terms and conditions... they can deny boarding regardless of what the Government dept says! I knew I would find a better argument.

If she still won't listen tell her to at least get it in writing from immigration.

Surely common sense should prevail. If a cruise is only going to NZ, and NZ immigration allows entry to Australians until the passport's expiry, the rule should be changed in this case. If not, a land trip to NZ sounds like an attractive alternative, if a new passport is not required.

I seem to recall that Americans didn't need a passport to visit Canada, not so long ago. What happened then?

Edited by MMDown Under

Surely common sense should prevail. If a cruise is only going to NZ, and NZ immigration allows entry to Australians until the passport's expiry, the rule should be changed in this case. If not, a land trip to NZ sounds like an attractive alternative, if a new passport is not required.

I seem to recall that Americans didn't need a passport to visit Canada, not so long ago. What happened then?

I think common sense gets forgotten too often...