Linen -- how do you wear it while traveling?

Full disclosure -- I have avoided linen altogether for many, many years. I grew up in the South in an era when wearing linen meant IRONING linen for hot, endless hours (after starching the heck out of it). Never found it that comfortable and hated all the wrinkles that appeared instantly as soon as one put it on....

Now linen is more relaxed, but I'm still not sure I want to hop back onto the linen train. Especially when it comes to travel. I have just ventured to buy a pair of linen Eileen Fisher long pants (delave linen, whatever that means, in a sort of denim/indigo blue) and a pair of crops in a light gray color from J Jill. I like both, but am still very much on the fence about traveling with them.

So I'm hoping people will share some linen stories and tips. What do you like about linen for traveling (to warm destinations, of course)? How do you care for it while traveling? What are the drawbacks? What are your favorite pieces?

I have several warm weather trips coming up in the next year or so -- including a trip to India. Am I going to have to get over my linen phobia?

I haven't found a way yet to keep linen looking "unrumpled." I've got a pair of those linen pants from Jill and one of their linen "big shirts." Like you, I travel light and compact; linen just doesn't seem to work with that. The pants work kind of OK, but the shirt always needs re-ironing/steaming when it comes out of the bag. The pants get the "sit" lines right away (you know, the folds and lines that show up on the pants in front when you sit down) and the bottom back of the shirts always get the lines on them when they are scrunched up when you sit down. If I were to stand all day, I'd be good ;) With no access to ironing/steaming on a ship (other than hanging in the bathroom with a hot shower going on), I can't see traveling with linen.

And, they only seem to be good for 1 wear due to those wear lines. I've tried to re-steam or re-iron, but you can tell... I can't travel with things that I can only wear once.

If you find something, let us know!

That's more or less what my thinking has always been. But I was watching the "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" movie last night, looking at all the lovely linen tops they were wearing in India, and I thought to myself....maybe....

One blogger I follow who writes about fashion for the 50+ age group and who travels a fair amount has mentioned just 'going with the wrinkles' -- even to the point of washing the linen and then twisting it, sort of like the broomstick skirts. I don't know; would have to try it at home first.

After many, many washings, does the linen soften to the point where wrinkles are less defined?

I find that linen stretches out a bit in humid weather...and I really hate how "saggy" it can look. I prefer other materials in humidity.

Linen wrinkles...it's the nature of the beast. If wrinkles and creases bother you, do NOT bring it...you will always be unhappy with your look!

Linen is my #1 choice for warm weather cruises!

I wear fairly loose-fitting linen slacks a lot. I pack them "stacked" with other garments that are larger than the suitcase: half in the suitcase, half out, part of next garment, etc. til I have 6-8 garments, then start folding each outside part in. Hence no sharp folds. I might leave the hanger attached, and when I get to the cabin, I can hang right away. IMO, linen garments, even somewhat rumpled, are classier, and cruisier, than less wrinkled cotton or synthetic garments.

The same applies to DH's linen shirts.

I say there is nothing to stop you taking linen if you want to.

That's more or less what my thinking has always been. But I was watching the "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" movie last night, looking at all the lovely linen tops they were wearing in India, and I thought to myself....maybe....

One blogger I follow who writes about fashion for the 50+ age group and who travels a fair amount has mentioned just 'going with the wrinkles' -- even to the point of washing the linen and then twisting it, sort of like the broomstick skirts. I don't know; would have to try it at home first.

After many, many washings, does the linen soften to the point where wrinkles are less defined?

I really like that wash, twist, wear idea! I love how cool linen is, and that I can be completely covered from the sun, and still feel fairly cool.

One thing I have noticed is that my black linen stuff doesn't LOOK as wrinkly -- the wrinkles seem to be camouflaged by the dark colour.

I have a couple of antique linen table cloths, and they are softer than newish linen. So the wrinkles are not as defined, but but the wrinkles are still there.

I'll be watching this thread, I've just invested quite heavily in more linen clothing for hot climates.

As I said above, so far I have only stuck a toe into the linen pool. I think I'll see how well I do with the pieces I have before I think about traveling with them. I am also eyeing a linen 'big shirt' that's on sale at J Jill right now, to see if I like it. I seem to remember thinking -- long ago when I had a few pieces of linen -- that gauzy cotton actually seemed cooler and softer to me.

As I said above, so far I have only stuck a toe into the linen pool. I think I'll see how well I do with the pieces I have before I think about traveling with them. I am also eyeing a linen 'big shirt' that's on sale at J Jill right now, to see if I like it. I seem to remember thinking -- long ago when I had a few pieces of linen -- that gauzy cotton actually seemed cooler and softer to me.

I just had a thought. I always admire linen on other people, because it looks so elegant, considered, intentional with its wrinkles. And there is nothing that looks quite like linen, or drapes/hangs/moves like linen.

Those thoughts are moving me more towards not caring about being wrinkled. I may even be able to wear those wrinkles with pride :)

After all, I can't be the only person who appreciates the look of linen clothing on other people!

I just had a thought. I always admire linen on other people, because it looks so elegant, considered, intentional with its wrinkles. And there is nothing that looks quite like linen, or drapes/hangs/moves like linen.

Those thoughts are moving me more towards not caring about being wrinkled. I may even be able to wear those wrinkles with pride :)

After all, I can't be the only person who appreciates the look of linen clothing on other people!

Very true!

But I will also add that I have seen people who carry this insouciant linen look off well, and others that just look like a wadded up kleenex. (Note to self, perhaps best to avoid the white linen...)

I used to work for a woman who could wear linen to work and it seemed to never wrinkle much during the course of a very full day. (This was a news organization, and she was a real go-getter.) We had a number of hypotheses as to how she pulled it off. (A secret closet in her office filled with identical linen suits?)

Une Femme? (if not, she has talked about it this week when showing her packing list for an upcoming trip:D) Another blogger I follow - Grechen's Closet - is doing a series on linen reviews and she finds the heavier linen holds up better. Will still look rumpled but not crease as badly as thin linen does.

I don't prefer to travel with woven linen, but I love linen knit for travel! (on the other hand, the majority of our vacation travel tends to be cool weather - but we have an Asia cruise coming up and I'm trying to figure out how to handle - I have knit linen tops on my packing list but none of the woven at this point....)

Une Femme? (if not, she has talked about it this week when showing her packing list for an upcoming trip:D) Another blogger I follow - Grechen's Closet - is doing a series on linen reviews and she finds the heavier linen holds up better. Will still look rumpled but not crease as badly as thin linen does.

I don't prefer to travel with woven linen, but I love linen knit for travel! (on the other hand, the majority of our vacation travel tends to be cool weather - but we have an Asia cruise coming up and I'm trying to figure out how to handle - I have knit linen tops on my packing list but none of the woven at this point....)

Yes, it was Une Femme.

Linen knits -- yes, I do like those. But as with linen itself, it does tend to stretch out after repeated wear. I have to be careful about stretching out the neckline of tees and the sleeves of sweaters. At home, I might pop one of these knits into the dryer for a few minutes to help the fibers 'snap back' to their original shape. Not so easy when you're traveling. Any tips?

I have two pairs of linen palazzo pants that I truly love. Since I bundle my clothing when I pack, I've never really encountered any issues with wrinkles....it's only after I wear it that I have an issue. I love how they look on, however they are only good for one wearing.

I have two pairs of linen palazzo pants that I truly love. Since I bundle my clothing when I pack, I've never really encountered any issues with wrinkles....it's only after I wear it that I have an issue. I love how they look on, however they are only good for one wearing.

If that is truly the case, then I think my linen can't look forward to traveling much with me. I don't take unlimited luggage when I travel and I like to know that I can wear some things (e.g., a dressy pair of pants worn for dinner) more than once, and/or that they are wash and wear.

I live in JJill linen . The more you wash it the softer it gets . If you are worried about wrinkles do not buy the JJill big shirt in plain linen buy it in woven linen or stripped linen . Those tops after a few washes do not wrinkle . I layer my linen on top of all my other clothes and the wrinkles have been minimal.

I live in JJill linen . The more you wash it the softer it gets . If you are worried about wrinkles do not buy the JJill big shirt in plain linen buy it in woven linen or stripped linen . Those tops after a few washes do not wrinkle . I layer my linen on top of all my other clothes and the wrinkles have been minimal.

Thanks for the tips! :)

What about the 'yarn-dyed' linen big shirt?

Hi Cruise Mom,

Back from 3 weeks in Europe in May, I tried to do some of my lightest packing, & as we were headed to warmer weather destinations (although it rained about the first 10 days or so) I did pack a bit of linen:

1. Black linen shorts; probably wore these on at least 12 of the days... yes they got rumpled, but the were comfortable & cool, & didn't show dirt

2. 2 black, 2 grey linen A-lined tank tops, from J crew, they are 100% linen but cut on the bias, so feel like a linen jersey.... wore one of them almost every single day, no matter the weather, when it rained they were worn with either skinny jeans or leggings with a light cargo type jacket or my light rain trench, they were easy to wash out in the sink & dried overnight.

3. one black & one ivory a linen boat neck tee, with very short sleeves, actually not as useful as the tank tops for me...

4. 3 tunic type tops in a linen blend, one in blue, one in black, one in green, super light weight, breathable, but sheer, wore with a black tank top underneath.

I'll try & post some photos to show the level of wrinkling... probably on a sep. post. :)

Linen is my #1 choice for warm weather cruises!

I wear fairly loose-fitting linen slacks a lot. I pack them "stacked" with other garments that are larger than the suitcase: half in the suitcase, half out, part of next garment, etc. til I have 6-8 garments, then start folding each outside part in. Hence no sharp folds. I might leave the hanger attached, and when I get to the cabin, I can hang right away. IMO, linen garments, even somewhat rumpled, are classier, and cruisier, than less wrinkled cotton or synthetic garments.

The same applies to DH's linen shirts.

I say there is nothing to stop you taking linen if you want to.

I do the same. My suitcase has a section in the lid that is perfect for bundle-packing trousers. Also I spray them with ironing spray which helps keep them crisp. I just find linen so comfortable in hot weather.

I send them to the ship's laundry when I need to and they come back beautifully pressed.

If that is truly the case, then I think my linen can't look forward to traveling much with me. I don't take unlimited luggage when I travel and I like to know that I can wear some things (e.g., a dressy pair of pants worn for dinner) more than once, and/or that they are wash and wear.

Since they crumple slightly as soon as you put them on there isn't a lot of difference between unworn linen pants and ones that are reworn.

I have a love/hate relationship with linen. I love how comfortable it feels but hate how wrinkled it looks! I bought a pair of linen pants (after saying no more for me) a couple of weeks ago. They are so comfy. When I wear them, I try to avoid mirrors at all cost! :D

Since they crumple slightly as soon as you put them on there isn't a lot of difference between unworn linen pants and ones that are reworn.

I was concerned more about the stretching/bagging aspect (especially for pants) than just the wrinkles. Wrinkles you can sometimes smoothe a bit. Not much you can do about stretching/bagginess except launder them.

It's no much the wrinkles that bother me (I live with wrinkles on my clothes), it's the deep creases that develop in the linen when wearing - the "whisker" creases in the from to front of the pant/short/dress where you sit, the ones where the shirt bunches up when you sit. I always get them. When I wear linen at home, I'd have to always try to iron out those whiskers after each wearing...

I have some linen knit shirts - I don't have issues with them.

Cruisemom: the big shirt I have is the plain one, not the striped or woven one. Sits in my closet more than it gets worn. But, I bought it years ago on sale...