Just off Harmony - They lost our luggage - Beware!!

Just off the Harmony sailing june 26, 2016 and will post a detailed review soon. We were in a Royal Family suite and put our luggage out the night before departure as we have done for all of our past 6 RCCL cruises. When we got to the luggage reclaim at 7:20am a piece of our luggage was missing. All 4 pieces were left out at the same time, all had personal luggage tags as well as royal's pinnacle suite tag with our name, address, number and email. No one at the terminal was interested in helping us locate the missing piece. We searched the one terminal by ourselves but did not have time due to an early flight to search the other terminal. Trying to file a claim with them is very frustrating. Never let RCCL handle any luggage especially if the port is in a foreign country. I suspect we will never see that piece of luggage again due to their negligence.

It could have been another passenger, I was looking for ours one time and saw one of the bags being taken away by a porter. An old guy, apparently with poor eyesight, had told the porter it was his. If I hadn't noticed, hard telling if I ever would have seen it again.

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. My first thought was someone saw the pinnacle suite tag and decided to steal your bag. Just saying ....it might not be RCCl negligence to blame but rather a thief. [emoji35]

There are so many variables here where things can go wrong.

I too have suffered a very severe incident with Royal Caribbean where 2 of our 9 pieces of luggage were stolen while on a RCI arranged transfer from Colon, Panama.

The worst was faced following the incident while trying to report and re-claim this baggage. They never 'allowed' us to file the lost luggage claim with the insurance and dealing with their luggage office in Mirimar Florida was very challenging. One of our pieces was recovered at the cruise terminal and was finally returned to us some of the contents missing about 8 months following our cruise.

I always take photos of my tagged luggage as I set it outside the door in the evening with the tags visible.

Barcelona has a carousel baggage system, where it is very important to disembark at the time your luggage is coming off the ship. These movements of baggage are scheduled and announced on each ship.

A real problem that RCI is doing nothing about is passengers that disembark prior to their own number being called. This allows them to be in the terminal at the time other passengers bags are rolling off.

The most common form of cruise ship baggage 'theft' is that another passenger takes a bag that is not theirs and leaves the terminal.

Another problem is loss of numbered tag from the baggage. Go to any ship on the night when they are taking baggage down and you will see tags littering the area and even stuck to the elevator doors.

The next problem is baggage being sent to the wrong numbered bin and then let off the ship in the incorrect order.

RCI's port agent has their offices right next to the port of Barcelona and they are owned by RCI partner TUI. Intercruises can assist RCI in finding left or misdirected luggage.

I hope your situation works out better than ours did.

What I found odd is that we had the biggest problem with RCI just on the one cruise where we had the Owners Suite and two Grand Suites. I have tried to just put this incident at the back of my mind when I have went on other sailings following this severe incident a few years ago in Colon, Panama.

They have changed the baggage area in the terminal in Barcelona and it is no longer a carousel system but rather the individual numbered areas are roped off like they are in Fort Lauderdale. I agree, it most likely was taken by another passenger or someone working at the terminal. My biggest issue right now is time. It was my daughter's bag and she is heading off to college in 4 weeks. I do not want RCL to drag this on for months hoping it will suddenly reappear somewhere. I need them to determine it lost in a timely manner so that I may collect on my travel insurance and repurchase my daughter's clothing, shoes and makeup with the money from the travel policy. We were gone for close to 2 weeks and she took along most of her summer clothing like any teenager girl would do. Any one with any suggestions on whom to contact at the Barcelona port would be appreciated. RCL told me they need to "determine how and why my bag was lost" before they can track it down. Really, lets just find the bag!!!!

I've had a single bag end up being split from the group it was with ... unfortunately I'm not sure there's really an answer to this. The ship, port, and passengers simply cannot handle all luggage being hand-carried off the ship.

On our recent Harmony Cruise we disembarked at Southampton and collected our luggage and were nearly out of the terminal when I realised I had lifted the wrong bag which was identical to mine.... I only noticed because it seemed easier to wheel than normal. I hot footed it back and exchanged for the correct case, was very embarrassed but was very easy mistake to make.

We recently lost a bag in Barcelona port, first time we didn't carry off ourselves! the lady picked up ours by mistake regardless of the fact she had a baggage tag on her bag with her own picture on it We realised what had happened when there were only six bags left lined up, two were ours and the other 4 with the same name and just this ladies bag.... Was a right hassle getting it back, we had to call the number on the tag (at our expense because it was pretty clear nobody was interested in helping) managed to co tact her before she boarded her flight and managed to get the bag back, was a right hassle we didn't need. We won't leave our bags out the night before again! - however we have just purchased three yellow baggage straps with black writing that says 'HANDS OFF THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG!' Lol

Edited by cbowls30

AGREED!! I am posting here to inform everyone not to let RCL handle your bags but instead carry them off yourself. Maybe if more people are aware of how often this occurs and the total lack of help from the cruise line when it does happen, RCL will improve their departure procedures.

AGREED!! I am posting here to inform everyone not to let RCL handle your bags but instead carry them off yourself. Maybe if more people are aware of how often this occurs and the total lack of help from the cruise line when it does happen, RCL will improve their departure procedures.

Who handled your bags getting on the ship?

I am posting here to inform everyone not to let RCL handle your bags but instead carry them off yourself....

I am sorry for your lost bag and I hope it turns up soon. However, what you are suggesting will never happen, just so you know. Can you imagine the entire ship self-disembarking with everyone carrying their own luggage? No. It will never happen. Passengers cannot handle all of their luggage by themselves, they just can't. It's not meant to work that way.

Can you even imagine the chaos that would ensue if all 5-6,000 passengers followed your advice and attempted to carry off all their bags themselves?

Look at it this way...at least it was AFTER the vacation that it went missing! Probably, another passenger picked it up. If they're nice, they will inform someone, and try to get it back to you....otherwise, looks like you'll be buying some new clothes!

You should always have your name, phone number, and BUSINESS ADDRESS inside your luggage. That way, if it's lost and it needs to be sent to you, it will go to a business where there is someone to receive it during business delivery hours....and your home address isn't available....if someone has your luggage and home address, it's a good bet you aren't at home!

Edited by cb at sea

One of the best ways to protect your luggage is making it very different from anyone else's.

Whether you use colored straps, multicolored yarn pompoms, big stickers or whatever, make it different!

No freaking kidding, our magenta/purple bags are were in the trunk and headed home while people are still arguing over which basically-identical black bag is theirs.

Can you even imagine the chaos that would ensue if all 5-6,000 passengers followed your advice and attempted to carry off all their bags themselves?

There'd still be people waiting to hit Customs.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

We took someone's luggage after a cruise. We were traveling with 5 little kids and the grandparents, and realized it when we got to the airport. Fortunately, we were able to get in touch with them, and they were on their way to the airport. It wasn't the cruise lines fault.

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. My first thought was someone saw the pinnacle suite tag and decided to steal your bag. Just saying ....it might not be RCCl negligence to blame but rather a thief. [emoji35]

Why would having pinnacle on your bag make someone want to steal it? Do pinnacle members carry more valuables and have more expensive items in their bags than other passengers.:confused:

I agree, it most likely was taken by another passenger or someone working at the terminal.

Sorry to hear your luggage is missing. Lost luggage is the worst whether lost by the airlines or cruise line. That being said, why would you think someone in the terminal took your bag? if your bag was black or blue like another 100 or so bags it was probably taken by another passenger by mistake. I highly doubt that someone in the terminal thought your daughter's bag looked a lot more desirable than any other bag and decided to take it.

It's probably a good idea to file the claim as soon as practical.

Edited by crusinthrough

One of the best ways to protect your luggage is making it very different from anyone else's.

Whether you use colored straps, multicolored yarn pompoms, big stickers or whatever, make it different!

Another suggestion is to "diversify" your belongings. Don't have a bag for DD, a bag for DW, and a bag for you. Pack some of everyone's things in every bag. This way if one goes missing, no one loses EVERYTHING.

We had a similar incident years ago similar to this. We purchased a set of luggage with a wild print to be able to spot our luggage more easily. When we went to claim our luggage after the cruise at the dock one piece was missind and wouldn't you know it, there was a piece just like ours sitting there with another persons name on it. I wandered around and spotted a couple with the same luggage about to go thru customs. I confronted the couple and sure enough they had ours. He was hesitant to give me mine back before I retrieved his bag. We always check name tags before claiming our luggage anywhere and wish others would do the same. We also walk our luggage off the ship now.

Had the same thing happen last month on Allure, but we got the bag Back. All luggage tags were intact, the debarkation tags given by the ship and the ones we always travel with which are attached tightly.

We were sure another guest took our bag, as we were among the first off the ship and our luggage was in the suite/pinnacle section, separated from the rest of the guest luggage.

I filed a lost luggage report at the,pier, then called guest relations when we got home, and they took another report. It took 5 days to arrive at my home, but at least I got it back, and because I had filed a report at the terminal, Royal paid the freight charge to return it to me.

If you didn't file a report at the pier, make sure you call and file a report now. You will have to,pay the charge to get it returned if you did not file a report at the pier, but that is better than losing the luggage, and if you had travel insurance they might refund the freight charges.

Don't give up yet, they may find it. I guess mine was probably just put in the wrong section, but I was very happy and surprised to get it returned to me.

Edited by billsgal

Thanks billsgal for the encouraging post. I am posting to let others know what may happen to their luggage if they leave it with RCI before departure. I travel often domestically and internationally. I have taken many cruises and follow all of the "suggestions" about making luggage stand out and have identifying tags inside and out of bags. For someone to suggest the bag was stolen because the tag said suite pinnacle is crazy. You must not have cruised recently. That is on the tag RCI gives you to put on you luggage to identify it in the luggage reclaim. Please reply if you have any suggestions with RCI contacts or a similar situation.

He was hesitant to give me mine back before I retrieved his bag.

Really? Was he holding it hostage? Hah.

When we disembarked Navigator in Southampton last month, we found my husband's bag quickly, but mine was not in the designated numbered section. Eventually I found it in the section for non-tagged bags. The disembarkation tag must have fallen off somewhere along the line.

The funny thing was that this was not our first luggage misadventure that trip. My husband's bag was delayed by British Airways. We flew to London through Chicago on Friday overnight, and his bag never made it onto the flight from O'Hare to Heathrow. We toured London on Saturday, then took the bus to Southampton on Sunday, before the cruise Monday. There was a mixup on BA's part with the tag number, so it did not make it to London in time for the cruise. BA told us to buy what he needed, and they'd reimburse us.

There is a great mall in Southampton, so we went to Marks & Spencer, Decathlon Sports, and Boots, and bought everything he needed. Scanned the receipts when we got home, submitted them on the BA website, and two days later had the full amount deposited directly into our checking account. That's customer service!