Id when visiting port

Canadianmama3

This may be a dumb question. What id do we bring off the ship with us when we visit a port? We are Canadian and will be visiting the Bahamas if that makes a difference.

We will have our passports but I'm not sure if we should leave those on the boat or take them with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This may be a dumb question. What id do we bring off the ship with us when we visit a port? We are Canadian and will be visiting the Bahamas if that makes a difference.

We will have our passports but I'm not sure if we should leave those on the boat or take them with us.

The ship usually recommends that you leave your passport in your room safe. Take your ship card and a photo ID (drivers license) and you will be fine.

Nassau is one port that consistently checks your ship card against a photo ID before you are allowed to go back to the ship.

We were planning on carrying our DL. Just wasn't sure about the passport. I was hoping we didn't have to carry them.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We leave our passport in the safe on the ship, except for the few ports where you must carry your passport. The ship will tell you if you are visiting one.

Americans tend to always carry i.d., British people not so much. I don't know where Canadians fit in on the scale. I never do unless forced, because my only photo i.d. is my passport (my driving licence hasn't a photo) and I won't carry that unless it's compulsory. Anyway, I know who I am. ;-)

A bit of paper with your name and address would i.d. you if you land in hospital. But since you are carrying a ship card, and a ship newsletter with the cruise agent's number on it, they won't have any trouble working out who you are.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Americans tend to always carry i.d., British people not so much. I don't know where Canadians fit in on the scale. I never do unless forced, because my only photo i.d. is my passport (my driving licence hasn't a photo) and I won't carry that unless it's compulsory. Anyway, I know who I am. ;-)

A bit of paper with your name and address would i.d. you if you land in hospital. But since you are carrying a ship card, and a ship newsletter with the cruise agent's number on it, they won't have any trouble working out who you are.

A xerox copy of your passport is OK. ;)

The ship usually recommends that you leave your passport in your room safe. Take your ship card and a photo ID (drivers license) and you will be fine.

That's been my experience too.

your ship pass , and may need photo id i know on my nz cruise a lady was not let back on till hubby came back with her photo id passport drivers license ??

Edited by Hawka

your ship pass , and may need photo id i know on my nz cruise a lady was not let back on till hubby came back with her photo id passport drivers license ??

That must be because of an issue at the port gate, I would think. Either someone didn't listen to the instructions from the ship that photo i.d. was required, or else the ship was lax in not giving the passengers the instruction. Unless he'd lost his shop pass?

That must be because of an issue at the port gate, I would think. Either someone didn't listen to the instructions from the ship that photo i.d. was required, or else the ship was lax in not giving the passengers the instruction. Unless he'd lost his shop pass?

I'm sure all that stuff was in the patters and I know there was a board with info on it every port where you got off , I'm sure it was at a gang way into the ship too justing thinking it may have been where buses dropped off after tours? But not sure on that bit was December last yr when I went

I know the adults need a DL or photo ID, but what about the younger ones such as a 16yo?? I really don't want to be carrying copies of out passports...what do you think?

We've been told 16 and over need photo ID.

Here is an example of why they do this....

on our last cruise I forgot and had to run to the room to get my DL. When I hopped back in the elevator, a man saw how flustered I was and asked what happened. I told him and he said...

One of his cruises when he and his daughter got off the ship, somehow their S&S cards got switched. They went on diff excursions, and when he got back to the cruise ship, he was not allowed on... he had a female teen's card! Security was called. Luckily, he had his wallet and pulled out his DL to show. They pulled up his name and photo, and it matched, so they let him back onboard. When his daughter got back to the ship, she was stopped but they had her's flagged so she was let right on.

But don't you need a photo ID to prove you are under 16?

Seems strange. Our daughter was tall for her age at 14, and the airlines would give us a hassle about her not having a photo ID. They did not believe she was under 16.

Seems strange. Our daughter was tall for her age at 14, and the airlines would give us a hassle about her not having a photo ID. They did not believe she was under 16.

That is what I mean, how do you prove you are under sixteen when challenged? :confused: