Bistro or Sushi on 5 , let the people decide

scubacruiserx2

We loved Bistro on 5, on embarkation day and several lunches during our cruise. The Portobello Mushroom Burger cannot be beat! Other great selections also, including a heavenly chocolate mousse. We definitely will steer clear of the new sushi on 5. Ugh!!!!!!!

Any idea if the sushi offering at the Buffett area in the evening is still available once the new venue opens??

We would miss that terribly. It's part of our evening cruise routine!

We just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse where we enjoyed the Bistro on 5 at $ 10 per person .

DSC05878_zpsioxznizi.jpg

Celebrity will replace the Bistro on 5 with Sushi on 5 , an a la carte Japanese Restaurant , on all of their ships . It's menu can be found here :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50174226&postcount=67

Ultimately , the people will decide with their money , but what do you think ?

I think the prices are high! The Tekka Maki is usually a "thin" roll & the price on the menu is quite high for that. They had a nice sushi bar on the Regal, that we did last Feb. We didn't try it once, as I felt it was too high. I can pound down an amazing amount of sushi, but I'm a little skittish of having it on a cruise ship. Yes, I'm sure people here will say the standards are so high & all. But when I read abut Noro hitting a ship, it's not always some pax who spread it(most but not all). That & I find the prices rather exorbitant for what you get. I can down a sushi boat for 2 at about $60. I'd hate to see what that would cost on a ship.

Any idea if the sushi offering at the Buffett area in the evening is still available once the new venue opens??

We would miss that terribly. It's part of our evening cruise routine!

Sushi was not offered in the Oceanview Cafe during our sailing on the Millennium in May, only in SO5.

I just want to know why they think everyone would prefer sushi? I can't eat a lot of what's on the menu (shellfish allergy in particular) and don't like most of the rest. Personally, I think sushi is just a bit trendy .

I see that it will be popular on the Asian itineraries ( Millenium) but really wonder about Europe.

I view this as another cutback; while the buffet sushi was never outstanding, it was certainly serviceable. Removing the sushi from the buffet and putting it in a wildly expensive specialty restaurant is a bad move, IMO.

(I live in Manhattan and wouldn't pay anywhere near $10 here for a California roll. The prices are crazy town.)

Yes, I think Celebrity Customers will vote with or without their business. Based on my previous observations the BO5 was never really popular at any price. I will see how the Sushi does on my next couple of cruises. I cannot imagine that it will be less busy than the BO5, but I will find out. Maybe it will be busy for a couple of years then drop off depending on the quality and customer acceptance. If the business drops off then maybe Celebrity will try something else. I think a rotating option throughout the cruise would be worth a try.

I like sushi ok but won't pay those prices on a cruise. Those prices are equivalent to high end sushi at home. I will miss Bistro. I happily paid up to $10 for a nice lunch. I wouldn't pay these sushi prices for lunch nor would I choose this for dinner. Too many better choices including just enjoying a free meal in the MDR.

I'm disappointed that we won't get to experience Bistro on 5 on our next cruise in March aboard Equinox. My husband and I always went at least once or twice on each past cruise and really enjoyed it. Neither of us eat sushi so we won't be eating at Sushi on 5. Even if there are alternatives to sushi, those alternatives are typically too "carby" (i.e. Rice or noodle bowls) and too high sodium for us. At least the Bistro on 5 menu had something for just about everyone.

We just came back from the Reflection and really missed BO5. I have to mention that I'm extremely allergic to sea food and SO5 or the Porch were not an option for me.

SO5 looked almost empty every time we were around. My daughter and some members of our group tried it once but two of them had GI issues after eating there and didn't go back.

The Ocean View cafe had sushi on the last sea day and it was really popular. :)

Sushi was not offered in the Oceanview Cafe during our sailing on the Millennium in May, only in SO5.

They had it on the Eclipse the 2 times we cruised, but it was really lame. Mostly the vegetarian stuff.

I like sushi ok but won't pay those prices on a cruise. Those prices are equivalent to high end sushi at home. I will miss Bistro. I happily paid up to $10 for a nice lunch. I wouldn't pay these sushi prices for lunch nor would I choose this for dinner. Too many better choices including just enjoying a free meal in the MDR.

We'll miss BO5 as well. We usually dined there when we boarded to avoid the mass crowds in Horizon. Always a great lunch.

Money is what Celebrity is looking to make; sushi will either make it or not make it; then it will be replaced with "what's trending" next. I am also allergic to shellfish, along with not liking sushi, so for me it is a no brainer. However, it is certainly not going to cause me grief either way!:D I will always find something to eat!

Edited by Lastdance

The article from Cruise Critic

Sushi on Five Replaces Bistro on Five Across Celebrity Cruises Fleet

June 10, 2016

news-bistro-on-5_zpsb6eeb8rg.jpg

Celebrity Reflection's Bistro on Five

(9:40 a.m. EDT) -- Celebrity Cruises is replacing its popular creperie, Bistro on Five, with Sushi on Five, after a four-month test onboard Celebrity Reflection. Three ships, including Reflection, Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Silhouette now have the Japanese restaurant, which offers for-fee sushi and cooked items.

Sushi on Five will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet as follows: Celebrity Solstice (July 1), Celebrity Infinity (July 24), Celebrity Equinox (August 6), Celebrity Constellation (August 28), Celebrity Eclipse (September 17) and Celebrity Summit (October 16).

The entire Sushi on Five menu can be found on Cruise Critic's Celebrity forum. Appetizers start at $4 and include chicken ginger gyoza ($7) and beef tenderloin tataki ($9). Hot pots and noodles range from $9 to $12; sushi, sashimi and nigiri range from $4 to $12.

Got back yesterday from a week on the Summit. Tried Bistro on 5 after a couple of years and found it just as bad as the first time we eat there. The service is really slow and there were only 3 couples there. The crepes were more like pancakes and not that good. Wanted panani but they could not make them, the machine was not working. The sooner they get rid of Bistro the better. Don't know if sushi is the answer but has to better than bistro on 5.

Never been a big fan of Bistro on 5, I won't miss it one bit. Doubt that I will spend $ at Sushi on 5 as long as I can get my Sushi fix in the buffet in the pm.

I never had a desire to visit Bistro on 5. I however absolutely will be visiting Sushi on 5 on my upcoming cruise. I personally think it has everything to do with Celebrity continuing to make their ships more appealing to their "Modern Luxury" branding. As an individual who is a target in their marketing scheme and was actually the reason I wanted to start sailing with Celebrity, I am excited they got rid of a boring bistro place and added a sushi on 5.

I just want to know why they think everyone would prefer sushi? I can't eat a lot of what's on the menu (shellfish allergy in particular) and don't like most of the rest. Personally, I think sushi is just a bit trendy and a lot of people like to say they eat it. I wonder what they'll change sushi on 5 to in a few years.

Sushi has been "trendy" for quite awhile.. the better part of 2 decades. All respectable metropolitan cities around the word still have new sushi restaurants opening all the time. It defiantly is not a new trend. Plus, most if not all other lines have a sushi restaurant. Those dry rolls that celebrity threw out at the buffet as an after thought didn't cut it.

A lot of people like myself included love sushi and eat it more than a couple times a month. Soups, sandwiches and crepes on the other hand are rarely something I eat, unless I am sick or at a fair for the latter option.

Bistro on 5 has never been popular with clients when I have passed by.

Is Sushi on 5 going to be more popular?

I would suggest that they move the Aqua Spa Cafe to that location, as it is always full when I go, I can never get a table.

If either were free, you would not be able to get in the door :rolleyes:

I've only ever seen a few people in there on all our European cruises

Its not the menu that puts us off :D

Give them time and there will be no free restaurants on cruise ships. Think back when there were no extra fee restaurants. It wasn't that long ago. Now we moving into paying for every item on the menu instead of a fee.

Edited by BILLP1