TA or RCCL

i have only ever gotten a bottle of wine with my TA- even after 8+ cruises with her. i now book directly with RCCL.

You ever consider looking for another travel agent? You are leaving hundreds of dollar on the table every time you book through the cruise line. Your call.

There are good and bad travel agency's some charge for making changes, if you have a good one that is great, mine had retired so we now book vis RCCL but mostly while on board. Wilson I need to get the name of yours next time we cruise together

I have a cheap cabin that I booked during a pricing glitch, and I didn't bother asking for a TA quote as I figured they wouldn't be able to give me much obc. Probably should have though, as it isn't going down in price.

For those wondering about the possibility of using a TA: So much depends on what type of cabin is booked. If you are on the lower end of the food chain (inside, outside and basic balconies), a TA doesn't have much of a profit margin to kick back very much in the form of OBC. If you are a suite person, a TA can afford to be more generous.

So, consider this when making the TA or direct booking decision. Many people who tell you they get great OBC and perks book the more expensive cabins. That isn't mentioned in their posting. My last cruise was a 14 night transatlantic that cost $479 pp. How much OBC do you think a TA would have offered? BTW- we had a terrific time on that cruise!

I did mention that in my post.

Also, I don't feel everyone should use a TA all the time, but I do think people who typically book through RC should get some quotes, just to see. I've gotten free gratuities as a minimum when booking balconies. Still a nice perk if your booking isn't full of what-ifs.

I wish us UK cruiser's could find out about a good TA to use. We have to use the uk web for royal and I think we might get a better deal using a TA from America? Any tips?

Speak to your cruise mates on your next cruise. That's how we got our TA.

I used an online TA on my upcoming cruise. I linked through Ebates and got 10% my cruise price in cash back ... I'll definitely have a "big fat check" next time :). The only downside of the online TA is that I had to book my cabins separately. I called the agency after making the reservation and talked to a real person who was very helpful. She linked my cabins together and she put our C&A numbers in the system. The next day my cruise price dropped and I called her and she called RCCL to get an OBC for the difference (we're cruising next month) and to change cabins in the same category.

One caveat with online TAs is that some will charge a fee per cruise reservation and some will not. Some will offer higher OBC that covers the fee but you'll have to do your own back of the envelope math before booking.

We used to always book online with an occasional call to RCI.

When we found out how much EXTRA OBC we were losing, we haven't looked back.

We now get our C&A balcony discount, a booking onboard OBC, plus whatever sale perks RCI is giving away, and on top of all that we are getting an additional $485 OBC on our Hawaii re-positioning cruise. TA OBC is based on the price of the cruise.

If you book through a TA, or have it transferred to a TA, the only real control you give up is changing your cabin for any reason. Everything else is still done on RCI's website.

This is just our way of traveling. There is no right or wrong way.

I used an online TA on my upcoming cruise. I linked through Ebates and got 10% my cruise price in cash back ... I'll definitely have a "big fat check" next time :). The only downside of the online TA is that I had to book my cabins separately. I called the agency after making the reservation and talked to a real person who was very helpful. She linked my cabins together and she put our C&A numbers in the system. The next day my cruise price dropped and I called her and she called RCCL to get an OBC for the difference (we're cruising next month) and to change cabins in the same category.

One caveat with online TAs is that some will charge a fee per cruise reservation and some will not. Some will offer higher OBC that covers the fee but you'll have to do your own back of the envelope math before booking.

I have done a ton of research on online TAs and have not found a single one that charges for booking. Some do charge a cancellation fee though.

I don't think we can share the name, but it's a website that tracks price drops.

That site charges for the service (granted it's only $1 per cruise) and it has been a bit off lately (missing categories). A certain German TA has a tracking feature which seems to be as good and is free, but you only get an indirect indication of a price drop as it only tracks German prices.

We used a Travel Agent for all of our cruises EXCEPT the last one. The only thing we got from this was a bottle of champagne (we don't drink) on our anniversary cruise. I have been unable to find a recommended TA that does give perks. Tried to get some recommend from this website but realized quickly that this wasn't allowed. As a result we have started going thru a well known on line company for our three cruises booked and also have used one of the warehouse clubs with great luck.

I use an online ta site, where ta's compete and give me prices. The on board credit is incredible. I have $650 obc for next cruise. I always buy insurance too. You can check ta's out before booking. I contacted my ta 3x in one week for price drops and offers. They actually kick back part of thier commission to give you obc. And you can check with rccl to see if payments reached them. The tablets should not be holding your paymeny!!

I have done a ton of research on online TAs and have not found a single one that charges for booking. Some do charge a cancellation fee though.
A couple of the big players in general online travel (not cruise specific) have processing fees for booking a cruise through them.

You are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table every time you book through the cruise line.

Exceptionally well stated! ;)

As a very happy shareholder, I will thank all those who book through RCI, pay higher prices, and spend their own money on board.

As a value driven cruiser, I will continue to book with on line T/As, pay lower prices, receive amounts of OBC that most people absolutely refuse to believe, and spend THAT money on board.

So much depends on what type of cabin is booked. If you are on the lower end of the food chain (inside, outside and basic balconies), a TA doesn't have much of a profit margin to kick back very much in the form of OBC. If you are a suite person, a TA can afford to be more generous.

Many people who tell you they get great OBC and perks book the more expensive cabins. That isn't mentioned in their posting.

My last cruise was a 14 night transatlantic that cost $479 pp. How much OBC do you think a TA would have offered?

THAT last cruise of yours was one VERY sweet deal! Nicely DONE!!! ;)

For most independent T/As I would generally agree with your statement.

For large, well known online T/As I would have to disagree. The volume of business they do with the cruise lines allows them to offer significantly more OBC.

I recently did a 35 night B2B on Explorer OTS for $1,670pp (UNDER $50pp/day!) and received a total of $875 OBC.

I just booked the 14 night April 2017 T/A on Brilliance in an ocean view cabin for $699pp... and got $300 OBC from the online agency and another $250 OBC from the shareholder benefit. :eek: :D :cool:

For that price, with that much OBC...and with Diamond level perks, I think it be an exceptionally enjoyable cruise. ;)

Edited by teecee60

I would rather book through the cruise line, it kinda makes things all on you, and in your hands, but you get a better deal most of the time through a TA. The TA we go to pays the gratuities, and I gotta say that is an awesome perk.

The TA is much better for the normal average person.

And yes the perks are worth it.

Especially the free gratuities, and OBC.

However, If you one of those "high maintenance people" who wake up at 3AM and feel the sudden need to change cabins, change ships, change passengers, dining times, show times, drink packages, muster stations, arrival time, etc.

Just book with the cruise line...

You completely misunderstand the term "high maintenance". That implies someone who is demanding that others take care of them and their needs.

I book myself and take care of myself. The very OPPOSITE of "high maintenance."

As others have stated: No one looks out for Merion Mom the way that Merion Mom looks out for Merion Mom.

:):p

I have been struggling with this. Used the same agency for many, many cruises and sometimes it was great! But what I have found is that often when I see the sale then contact the TA, it can be too late for the cabin/sale or whatever it is I wanted. And no cruise line will talk to you or do any changes if you book with a TA. So I became frustrated with that and decided to book myself. I watch the prices closely and call if anything changes, etc. So this is new for me. Had thought about transferring the booking to a TA (by the way, at what point should one do this?), but at least for the next two of the three I have booked, I am going to keep it with me in control and I kind of like that!

I have been struggling with this. Used the same agency for many, many cruises and sometimes it was great! But what I have found is that often when I see the sale then contact the TA, it can be too late for the cabin/sale or whatever it is I wanted. And no cruise line will talk to you or do any changes if you book with a TA. So I became frustrated with that and decided to book myself. I watch the prices closely and call if anything changes, etc. So this is new for me. Had thought about transferring the booking to a TA (by the way, at what point should one do this?), but at least for the next two of the three I have booked, I am going to keep it with me in control and I kind of like that!

You must transfer to the TA within 60 days after the booking was created.

I always use a trusted reputable TA to handle my bookings. Especially with RCCL. Many times she has group pricing and always OBC. The idea that one has total control of their booking by going directly through the cruise line has been fortunate that something hasn't gone wrong. I have had the need to call my TA to serve as an advocate when RCCL made a mistake.

I always use a trusted reputable TA to handle my bookings. Especially with RCCL. Many times she has group pricing and always OBC. The idea that one has total control of their booking by going directly through the cruise line has been fortunate that something hasn't gone wrong. I have had the need to call my TA to serve as an advocate when RCCL made a mistake.

I am my own best advocate.