Should we stay on ship in Mahogany Bay Jamaica

Jacks Nana

I have done the Dunn Falls and the Rainforest...We have be talking about staying on the ship that day...but was wondering if anything to do right there at the port...We will be sailing the Regal on Dec 4...Thank you very much :)

I have done the Dunn Falls and the Rainforest...We have be talking about staying on the ship that day...but was wondering if anything to do right there at the port...We will be sailing the Regal on Dec 4...Thank you very much :)

I'm thinking you actually mean Montego Bay? Either way, whether to stay onboard or not is up to you. We love Jamaica and visit whenever we get a chance - beaches, food, Martha Brae River raft trip is fun, plantation tours, Rose Hall and so on..

If you enjoy being hounded to buy tours with a simple no not working being hassled for blocks, get off and go for a walk.You are taxed high on everything you buy. I have no use for the place.

We stay on the ship.

There is indeed a Mahogany Bay and beach in Jamaica. I know, I've been there and there were a lot of locals there. I wouldn't recommend it simply because the water had a ton of moss in it. Felt like swimming in a lake. If you just want to lay out and relax, it's fine for that. There's a beach bar, snacks, etc. there as well.

Getting off in Montego Bay is totally up to you. That's what's so nice about cruises - do what you want! :) We had a really good time taking the chairlift up to Mystic Mountain. You can get great shots of the ship from it and you pass by massive spiders as big as your hand :eek: clinging to the plants at a safe distance. The bobsleds were fun too. Definitely worth doing once IMO. If you've done all the usual stuff (Rose Hall, Martha Brae rafting, Dunn's Falls, etc.), then try Mystic Mountain if you still want to get off the ship.

Mahogany Bay is in ROATAN. Correct

MONTEGO BAY is in Jamaica. Correct

Chair lift is in ROATAN. Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is also a Mahogany Bay in Jamaica, with a chair lift. See post #5 for a video. It is a Carnival Corp. operation, so it is highly probable that the OP is indeed stopping there.

We did Montego Bay some years back. Our excursion was to a water park, that was frequented by real low life Brits(you had to be there!) We then went to the shops at the bay area. On the way you could see stoned people everywhere. The hawkers were extremely aggressive to the point some of us were a bit scared. Being a gay couple, there's other things to fear in a homophobic place like that. Next time if we're in the area. we'll do a spa day on the ship. Much safer & more enjoyable!

We unfortunately have been to MoBay Jamaica several times on cruises that we otherwise enjoyed. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. Every time we have been in port in Jamaica we have stayed on the ship and had a great time on an almost empty ship. Our first cruise to MoBay Jamaica was on an RCCL ship and that time over half the pax stayed on the ship. It was almost like a sea day! All other times the ships were fairly empty as the pax went ashore. We try to stay away from Jamaica if at all possible but the port, timing and other ports sometimes interferes. I see that the OP decided to stay on the ship. I hope they have a good time while others go ashore to be hassled and mistreated. JMO.