First Time Cruiser

KnittyCajun

Hello :)

The Big Guy and I are planning our very first cruise. We are thinking of taking a 7 day cruise in the Bahamas. Now my questions are the normal ones for a beginner:

Should we go for that long on our first cruise? There are lots of shorter some as little as 36 hours (give or take), but I was thinking kind of go big or go home!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I suggest at least 4 days, so you have a couple of days when you are not packing or unpacking. Obviously, everyone is different, but our first cruise was 7 days and we loved it.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for the quick response!

I totally agree with the 7 days. I want the vacation not to be tired as soon as I'm done. I also want to experience "Sea days".

Also, traveling with the husband (Big Guy) involves a lot of work since he is on dialysis and needs mobile assistance. I keep thinking the cruise would make that easier for both of us. Excursions I will be alone unless we actually dock at port and he is okay with that and so am I. I'm very excited lol!

My first cruise was a 7 day, since then I have done a 3, 5, and 8 ... I would say to definitely do at least a 5 anything shorter and it just left me wanting a couple more days! Have fun!

I totally agree with the 7 days. I want the vacation not to be tired as soon as I'm done. I also want to experience "Sea days".

Also, traveling with the husband (Big Guy) involves a lot of work since he is on dialysis and needs mobile assistance. I keep thinking the cruise would make that easier for both of us. Excursions I will be alone unless we actually dock at port and he is okay with that and so am I. I'm very excited lol!

You will find that the ship will be alongside a pier at most ports - many of which can be experienced on your own by taxi as opposed to organized tours. If you do your homework in advance, you can make pretty good plans about what to do where.

7 days is definitely better - the day you board and the day before you debark do not count at all - so a 36 hour deal really is just an exercise in unpacking, re-packing, and standing in line.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising!

I will agree with the comments already made, 5-7 days is probably best for the first cruise. We did a 7 day and even did it our of San Juan so it was really exciting and great fun!

Don't be surprised that you find yourself 1) dreading the morning you have to get off the ship for the last time, and 2) before that last day you are already trying to figure out where and when the next one will be! :D

Good luck with your planning and have a really great cruise!

The Big Guy and I are planning our very first cruise. We are thinking of taking a 7 day cruise in the Bahamas. Now my questions are the normal ones for a beginner:

Should we go for that long on our first cruise? There are lots of shorter some as little as 36 hours (give or take), but I was thinking kind of go big or go home!

In my experience anything less than about 5 days doesn't give you a true feel for a ship, or cruising in general.

Those 2 or 3 day cruises tend to be booze cruises.

If he is on dialysis, you do know that dialysis is not generally available onboard the ship. "Dialysis at sea" does provide the equipment and a technician on certain ships on certain itineraries on certain dates, and for an increased cost. You should contact them to find a cruise. Also know that nearly all health insurance will not cover any expenses either onboard or in foreign ports.

Three and four night cruises are for:

1) People looking to see what a cruise is like without actually making a big commitment.

2) People on a budget.

3) People looking for a quick getaway.

4) People looking to party and don't want to have to deal with a designated driver.

Five to eight night cruises will feel different from the three and four day cruises for a couple of reasons:

1) Less party hardy types and more families on board.

2) The longer cruise give more people more time to relax and experience what cruising is all about.

It also gives the ship more time to visit places that are further away.

Nine to fifteen night cruises are for people who are experienced in cruising and really enjoy it. You will see very few children on these extended cruises.

16 to 105 night cruises are for serious cruisers. This includes the around the world cruises.

106+ night cruises are for people who only intended to take a three hour tour and ended up on a remote island that everyone else can leave at will - except them.

It's a vacation....take an entire week!!!

There really is nothing mysterious about cruising....the ship is your resort hotel (albeit, with smaller rooms!) for your vacation. Lots to do, lots to see...or not...your choice!

Knittycajun- it sounds as though you have made a decision. I agree that at least 5 days would be best. It sounds as though you've gotten your hubby's dialysis figured out- good start. There are some/sevral ports in the Caribbean that hubby would be able to use a scooter or wheel chair at the port. Just make your cruise line aware of his special needs before you cruise. Good luck & hope you have a wonderful cruise.