Hi everyone....definite newbie here

southernshug

I've managed to narrow it down to taking a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean next year......but now what do I do? Book directly with them? Do u call or just do everything online? What about a travel agent and how do u find a good one? Unfortunately, nobody that we know has been on a cruise. I understand u can't mention anyone by name but surely u can give hints? I hope, lol

Also, can we message each other within the cruise critic forums......privately?

I admit, this cruise process is a bit intimidating, lol

All and any help is appreciated :)

Unfortunately, I have never really found a good TA. I have had use 3-4 different ones in the past.

Now I mostly book direct with the cruiseline as that way I do have complete control over my reservation. In the past I would have to call the TA 2 or 3 times to get something done, now I just call the cruiseline once and it's taken care of.

Good luck on however you decide to book. I am sure 1,000 other people will swear that booking with a TA is better. But I haven't found the advantage yet.

If you decide to use a travel agent, there is a link on the Celebrity website under "Travel Tools" to "Find a Travel Agent" (at the bottom of the main page). I've never used it but I'd like to believe that these are Celebrity's preferred partners that are very familiar with the Celebrity product ;).

If you decide to use a travel agent, there is a link on the Celebrity website under "Travel Tools" to "Find a Travel Agent" (at the bottom of the main page). I've never used it but I'd like to believe that these are Celebrity's preferred partners that are very familiar with the Celebrity product ;).

Thats awesome. Thank you Seagurrl! Id like to have the option, u know....just in case :)

We have used three travel agents in recent years, and all have been helpful. They have advice based on their own cruising history [even if comped, they can compare one line to another], they have clout with the cruise lines [they represent a lot more business each year than you do] which means if something goes wrong or if a rule needs to be bent they can get results that you can't, and they cost LESS than booking direct (same fare but they give back part of their commission). If you haven't found a good travel agent by the time of your cruise, ask around at the Meet & Greet -- your eyes will be opened by some of the great service + rebate deals available.

Another vote for being your own travel agent.

We used one for the first couple. Never had any issues (they were actually terrific). We just decided we like to be able to have control over our reservation. For example, if a much better cabin in your same category becomes available over the weekend and your travel agent is closed, if your doing it yourself, one phone call to Celebrity and the change is made. No need to worry if it'll still be there Monday morning.

If it were me, I'd forego the TA.

We used one for the first couple. Never had any issues (they were actually terrific). We just decided we like to be able to have control over our reservation. For example, if a much better cabin in your same category becomes available over the weekend and your travel agent is closed, if your doing it yourself, one phone call to Celebrity and the change is made. No need to worry if it'll still be there Monday morning.

Ty for the info and MangoMike.....u just gave me another question. How do u know when another cabin becomes available?

Thats awesome. Thank you Seagurrl! Id like to have the option, u know....just in case :)

You should call a few cruise TA's to compare what they offer...don't just book the first one because they say "let's put that wonderful cabin on hold"....because if you find a TA you'd rather deal with, you can't get that cabin...it's on hold :)

While Celebrity requires everyone to charge the same price for a cabin...some TA's work out a deal with Celebrity for a "group rate" on several cruises....and they pass on the lower fare to you as part of their group. Don't worry about being in a group...you will never know anyone else in the group or have any group activities...it's just a way to get lower prices for their clients. Be careful though that you understand what gratuities/benefits you get with the group rate vs paying the full rate....they sometimes differ.

There are also Senior rates (over 65) and Resident rates if you are a resident of some state where it's being offered. These too are less expensive but usually come with fewer "free" benefits.

Celebrity won't help you any more than a travel agent to figure out which is the best deal. After you've spoken with a few booking agencies, you'll start to figure this all out....just don't jump on the first one you call.

Finally, if you do decide to book directly with Celebrity, you have 60 days from the date of the booking to transfer it to the travel agent of your choice.

I know it sounds confusing, but after you make a few calls, you'll find it's not as confusing as it sounds.

Edited by ghstudio

If your travel agent closes over the weekend, you need a different TA. By booking with X direct, you leave money on the table on every cruise.

I've managed to narrow it down to taking a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean next year......but now what do I do? Book directly with them? Do u call or just do everything online? What about a travel agent and how do u find a good one? Unfortunately, nobody that we know has been on a cruise. I understand u can't mention anyone by name but surely u can give hints? I hope, lol

Also, can we message each other within the cruise critic forums......privately?

I admit, this cruise process is a bit intimidating, lol

All and any help is appreciated :)

Nothing wrong with booking with X if you know what you want and then transferring to an Agent for additional perks etc...

Just as long as you are happy with the price.

bon voyage

Shug --

We've booked both directly w/ the cruise line & using TA's. We've enjoyed all our cruises. The TA's have definitely provided us with additional amenities/perks - which make the cruise more enjoyable. If you would like to use an on-line TA - I would recommend a google search (cruise travel/agency/website...) and doing a little research. Ultimately - you have to determine which is best for you. Host Jazzbeau has a great recommendation: whatever you do for the first cruise - chat w/ other's @ the Meet & Greet & gather information for the future.

Have a FABULOUS Cruise!!!

If this is your first cruise I would say call Celebrity get a nice cruise rep and go that way. I have been emailing about booking with a TA vs Direct thru cruise line for months and still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling on using a TA. Maybe I just haven't taken the plunge. But truly I feel I just call celebrity with any issues not have a middle man. I agree if they are closed on the weekend you leave on your cruise and have problems which if you have your ducks in a row prior you will be fine but not sure what you do if the TA is closed on the weekend.

We just feel more comfortable dealing directly with cruise line. As far as leaving money on the table it depends what type of room you book. If you are a suite type person then you get more if you are a inside or OV room then not worth the $50 or so you get in OBC.

We've been on 8 cruises and may some day take the jump and go with a TA. But right now and being relatively new to cruising we just book thru the cruise line. GOOD LUCK BOOKING AND HAPPY SAILING!!

OR.... put a courtesy hold on line on that cabin and call the TA on Monday morning and they'll fix it all up for you. Did that several times. No worries, it's still there Monday morning if you put a hold on it!! If you're like us and book sky suites, the TA will give you in the range of $600 or more for 14 day cruise, so it's definitely worth it. We don't really need to "manage" our reservation much, and you can still do all that on line anyway.

FYI Lori, you've got mail

Edited by ClaudiaB

quote:

"Also, can we message each other within the cruise critic forums......privately"

Nope, the private message function is not activated and so nope, you

cannot message anyone privately.

We don't book drink packages so I won't respond to that part of the question.

Shore excursions- Depends on where we're cruising to and how popular we expect the tour to be. If we know we definitely want a specific tour and we don't have lots of on board credit to burn through, then we book ahead of time. If we have lots of OBC then head straight to the excursions counter as soon as we board to book our excursions. We've taken quite a few cruises at this point, so now we usually book our own tours, but would still take the celebrity tour if we're in a place we've never been to before or if there's a very tight timeline for getting back to the ship.

Dining- You choose a dining time when you book the cruise. You have a choice of early or late in the Main Dining room, Select where you make a reservation or wait in line for a table in the Main Dining Room, if you are staying in an Aqua room you choose your time to wait on line for Blu, same goes for Luminae for suite guests. You can make a reservation for a specialty restaurant after you book and prior to your cruise, but we always book specialties onboard since they frequently offer discounts to fill a slow restaurant.

Ty for the info and MangoMike.....u just gave me another question. How do u know when another cabin becomes available?

There is a web site where you pay to use it & they will email you of available stateroom's. Read the roll call for our Canada New England cruise, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137345, to see more information. It's apparently a good site if you want to know what immediately when stateroom's become available.

Tom😎

I'm using an agent for my Canada New England cruise on the Sumitt and have saved almost $400 per person vs Celebrity's price which is $ in our pocket that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Tom😀

ok....heres another question, lol......how do you know where to book a room? I mean, theres 1A, 2A, SV, etc. what does all that mean?

I'm looking for a balcony room, probably midship on either the Silhouette or the Reflection....any suggestions?

I take it that you are looking at an S class ship since you are asking about a 1A. These cabins are located on the hump and have nice big balconies. Find a deck plan on the Celebrity site and you will see where these different cabins are located.

I take it that you are looking at an S class ship since you are asking about a 1A. These cabins are located on the hump and have nice big balconies. Find a deck plan on the Celebrity site and you will see where these different cabins are located.

Thank you TeaBag! :)

ok....heres another question, lol......how do you know where to book a room? I mean, theres 1A, 2A, SV, etc. what does all that mean?

I'm looking for a balcony room, probably midship on either the Silhouette or the Reflection....any suggestions?

First step is to download a complete deck plan from Cruise Deck Plans. You already know you want midship (good choice). Avoid the top cabin deck (with the noisy sun deck above it), and watch out on the lowest cabin deck for noisy things like the theater below. Then zero in by checking the thread at the top of this forum called

Sticky: S-Class Cabin Information Compilation - PLEASE - DO NOT POST CABIN QUESTIONS HERE!!!

Post #1 has a spreadsheet that compiles all the reviews of every S-class cabin.

Aside from location, biggest difference among veranda cabins on Celebrity is the included amenities. Verandas and Concierge use the main dining room; AquaClass dines in Blu; all suites dine in Luminae. Other amenities increase with each of those levels, but the dining is the biggie.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau