Most important question of the summer - Pokemon

NanaChar

I'll do it for $5.

OP: plenty of things to do on Alaska cruises.

A little unfair, I think she is asking for her grandkids as they are travelling together. Nana char is on our roll call :)

This is for my kids. How can you say such things about a nana trying to entertain her little angels[emoji22]?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK you get a pass on that one :D....but seriously, as one Nanny speaking to another, I don't think I'd let my grandangels play that game on board...I live near NYC and IMHO this game is downright dangerous. People are falling off curbs, getting hit by taxis (ok that's not so unusual) to say nothing about bumping into others and generally causing havoc on the sidewalks. I would really worry about them wandering around a ship and not looking where they're going. Besides.....they should be looking at the glaciers, otters, whales, eagles, scanning the shore for bears... they'll miss so much if they're spending time looking for something imaginary with all that natural wonder around.

Edited by Hydrokitty

This is for my kids. How can you say such things about a nana trying to entertain her little angels[emoji22]?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was written tongue in cheek! I can't believe the post has been deleted! :D

It was written tongue in cheek! I can't believe the post has been deleted! :D

What was deleted? :confused:

Oh....mine was deleted? because I said I killed the Pokemon? Are you serious!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

What was deleted? :confused:

Oh....mine was deleted? because I said I killed the Pokemon? Are you serious!!!

I suggested the OP should be thrown overboard for playing Pokémon onboard! Seems some thought I was being serious. :D

I hope the OP has a wonderful time with the grandkids. :)

I suggested the OP should be thrown overboard for playing Pokémon onboard! Seems some thought I was being serious. :D

I hope the OP has a wonderful time with the grandkids. :)

OK...guess we have to share the dog house, Mynki....I merely said that I killed it (Pokemon)...I didn't get the feeling OP was upset, her response seemed kind of in keeping with it all...at least WE get each other. :D

OK you get a pass on that one :D....but seriously, as one Nanny speaking to another, I don't think I'd let my grandangels play that game on board...I live near NYC and IMHO this game is downright dangerous. People are falling off curbs, getting hit by taxis (ok that's not so unusual) to say nothing about bumping into others and generally causing havoc on the sidewalks. I would really worry about them wandering around a ship and not looking where they're going. Besides.....they should be looking at the glaciers, otters, whales, eagles, scanning the shore for bears... they'll miss so much if they're spending time looking for something imaginary with all that natural wonder around.

Agree 100%!! I was on the Brilliance when this madness started (not a clue anything was going on) and when I got back I was like "Um, what happened?? Why is everyone going insane for a video game??" (I actually still ask that...) The Public Theater has actually added in "Please no catching Pokemon during the performance" to the spiel the ushers have to give at Shakespeare in the Park performances - truly SAD! I'm waiting for the first report of someone "falling" off a ship because they were chasing one.

But seriously - encourage the grandkids to look away from their precious phones and tablets while in Alaska. I guarantee you the scenery and wonders of nature there will (or should - otherwise I weep for the society of the future) completely eclipse anything the phone or tablet can show them.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Agree 100%!! I was on the Brilliance when this madness started and when I got back I was like "Um, what happened?? Why is everyone going insane for a video game??" (I actually still ask that...) The Public Theater has actually added in "Please no catching Pokemon during the performance" to the spiel the ushers have to give at Shakespeare in the Park performances - truly SAD! I'm waiting for the first report of someone "falling" off a ship because they were chasing one.

But seriously - encourage the grandkids to look away from their precious phones and tablets while in Alaska. I guarantee you the scenery and wonders of nature there will (or should - otherwise I weep for the society of the future) completely eclipse anything the phone or tablet can show them.

You know it isn't funny or cute....there were people old enough to know better chasing them through the 9/11 Memorial...and believe it or not...there was one inside a church and a funeral was taking place. How can this be considered OK? And your point about someone "falling" off a ship? It's just a matter of time....maybe not actually falling over-board but down the stairs, or into a waiter with an armload of dishes...or someone with balance issues....not funny at all, they're playing a game and someone else gets hurt. They should be banned from ships, planes, subway platforms and sidewalks...anywhere you ought to be paying attention.

Edited by Hydrokitty

A local hospital has confirmed that it a Pokemon training camp where people can come and train their Pokemon, but it has asked that people stay out of the Accident & Emergency department. :eek:

I'm wating for the news that funeral has been disrupted at the local Crematorium by Pokemon hunting idiots.

I'm wating for the news that funeral has been disrupted at the local Crematorium by Pokemon hunting idiots.

Too late.....funeral was already disrupted by idiots seeking Pokemon in a church. Have you seen any in the Alps? :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

This isn't something to encourage for your grandchildren. Just think about someone with ulterior motives trying to lure them right to them and you get the idea. There have already been criminals robbing people when they have been guided to the perfect spot looking for Pokemon.

I know that's not a likely scenario on board a ship, but the whole game is just not a great idea for anyone involved.

You know it isn't funny or cute....there were people old enough to know better chasing them through the 9/11 Memorial...and believe it or not...there was one inside a church and a funeral was taking place. How can this be considered OK? And your point about someone "falling" off a ship? It's just a matter of time....maybe not actually falling over-board but down the stairs, or into a waiter with an armload of dishes...or someone with balance issues....not funny at all, they're playing a game and someone else gets hurt. They should be banned from ships, planes, subway platforms and sidewalks...anywhere you ought to be paying attention.

Oh I agree 100% that it isn't funny or cute.

I've seen the screen caps that a warning pops up, but that doesn't do ANYTHING. Nor, sadly, would asking the person to click a button that they aren't in a dangerous location or in a place where it would be disrespectful or driving - but we all know people are going to click they are "safe" regardless. My sister lost one of her best friends a few years ago to a "professional" big rig driver who in spite of his contract with the company not to text and drive was texting. So I know well how devastating the selfish actions of others can affect people who are not at all involved - just trying to live their lives.

And MaBell made an excellent point about people up to no good placing lures around. I hadn't even thought of that aspect.

I've seen the argument about it getting agoraphobics out of their houses, allowing autistic people to be part of something, etc. But IMHO the dangers of this thing FAR outweigh the benefits.

In the last week in San Diego we've had a couple fall down an oceanside bluff and have to be rescued, as well as multiple people causing damage to the Balboa Park Rose Gardens. There have also be numerous invasions of private property. Police have issued warnings about people playing while driving. This is insane folks, get your eyes off your phones and watch what you're doing! I imagine personal/property damages attorneys are drooling with anticipation of the lawsuits.

Edited by Kartgv

Whale, shmale...Eagles, Shmeagles...

I am going on Alaska Solstice just because I hear Juneau has Pokestops with Ultra Pokeballs and there have been many reported Vaporeon sightings in Skagway.

There are rumors Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres will be first released on the Celebrity Fleet. Suggest you fun spoilers clear the decks when that happens.

My nephew, who is in the demographic playing the most (30 - 40 year olds) sent me this meme.

It has struck a chord with young adults because they played the game as kids, and for the most part the contribution to society is positive. People are talking to each other in parks, malls, etc. as they get outdoors and walk their neighborhoods and meet other people.

I was once called to the elementary school because my 10 year old talked about being involved in a very dangerous and reckless activity. The news media was full of stories warning the parents about this activity, silently corrupting our children and leading to child abductions. She was ... posting on on-line forums.

pikemon-down-here.jpg.49beb2b1f81335bcee97e6be108562a4.jpg

We had such an amazing time on Millie for our Alaskan cruise this past May/June and while here weren't many kids on board at that point, on one excursion we did take note of a young boy - 7 or 8 maybe who never looked up from his computer the entire time - for hours!!!

He literally missed it all - and his parents didn't seem to care. :eek: Whales, eagles, a glacier - he never saw any of it. What is the point in going then?

The world is in turmoil, here in the U.S. the politics are boiling over and this is what people - lots of adults - think they should spend their time on, chasing fantasy characters around? No wonder the world is in such sorry state. :(