Most important question of the summer - Pokemon

NanaChar

A bit 'over the top' reaction there. I am in the older generation and downloaded the game and can see the attraction and benefits. I can also see the downsides. That's called an unbiassed opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Add to that the people who are calling others grouchy and other names. I don't care if you play it, I was concerned about where it is played, some places are just sacred and games don't belong there. Why don't we have a pick-up football game at Arlington National Cemetery. Two words to those people which seem to have been lost by this generation. Common Sense.

Sorry if some found my reply over-the-top, but there is nothing essentially wrong or inherently dangerous with this game. I personally do not play it but several of my co-workers do. The people that have been injured while playing it had that happen due to their own poor judgement.

As for my statement regarding older generations talking down to younger ones, I see it every day on social media. Endless posts on FB about how the current generation are all spoiled, all lazy and how much better young people were back in "their day". Its nothing new, but its also not very nice.

Ok, back to cruising!:p

With what I have read on other CC threads about the new internet service being as slow or non responsive as the old service, It appears that you can't catch an email or text let alone a Pokemon. I think the internet will be compromised even more on board between all the unlimited packages and now Pokemon.

Sorry if some found my reply over-the-top, but there is nothing essentially wrong or inherently dangerous with this game. I personally do not play it but several of my co-workers do. The people that have been injured while playing it had that happen due to their own poor judgement.

As for my statement regarding older generations talking down to younger ones, I see it every day on social media. Endless posts on FB about how the current generation are all spoiled, all lazy and how much better young people were back in "their day". Its nothing new, but its also not very nice.

Ok, back to cruising!:p

Here's an example, 72 years ago our 18 to 20yr olds were looking for safe spaces on the beaches of Normandy, today's 18 to 20yr olds are looking for safe spaces on College Campuses because someone wrote a so called bad word in chalk on the sidewalk.

Edited by dkjretired

Here's an example, 72 years ago our 18 to 20yr olds were looking for safe spaces on the beaches of Normandy, today's 18 to 20yr olds are looking for safe spaces on College Campuses because someone wrote a so called bad word in chalk on the sidewalk.

Darn it Don you edited out a great set up line! :D

But thanks to your first version Pokemon Go and that bad word are forever linked for me. :eek:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Lure module is real. Google it. All kinds of "how to use Lure Module" articles. news stories about crooks using it, too. And Forbes.com tells businesses that, "The simplest way to actively engage in Pokémon GO Marketing is to establish a Pokémon Lure Module purchase for the physical retail location. This will capture game characters in the geolocation for about thirty minutes."

The poster was not denying that lures did not exist but simply explaining that a lure cannot be placed just anywhere. It can only be placed on a pre-defined PokeStop which typically are at street corners, businesses, historical markers, etc. Not a person's house.

And if anyone is "running around staring at their phone" while playing the game then they are doing it wrong and deserve what they get. As previous people have pointed out you simply walk around and when your phone buzzes you stop and try to capture your pokemon.

Jim

This is interesting.

http://screenrant.com/pokemon-go-dangers/?view=all

The point is to just make sure your kids and grand kids are aware of these kinds of things if they are going to play.

I can't believe that article got into the possible dangers of racial profiling because of Pokemon Go.

I think I need to get back to threads on Celebrity "Evening Chic" - these are pretty entertaining, too

Exactly. Every generation seems to like talking down to the ones coming behind them and lecturing them with their perceived superiority. Its the height of arrogance.

Cruise Critic - the place where thousands of grandparents gather to lecture you on what you should wear, how you should raise your kids, where you can smoke, where you may use your cell phone and now also that your kids should enjoy scenery and not have fun playing games :)

Cruise Critic - the place where thousands of grandparents gather to lecture you on what you should wear, how you should raise your kids, where you can smoke, where you may use your cell phone and now also that your kids should enjoy scenery and not have fun playing games :)

Like! ;)

Actually, an absolutely silly comment

Edited by dkjretired

I have played a lot of Pokemon Go with my 9-year-old daughter in the past couple of weeks and I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the game for other people who have not actually played it.

Players cannot "lure" other players to a dangerous location. There are permanent in-game places called Pokestops (usually located in public places such as churches, schools or parks) where players can go to collect prizes, but these locations cannot be created or changed. Other players cannot create Pokestops, Pokemon or even communicate with each other in the game.

There is no actual "chasing". When someone is playing, occasionally a Pokemon will spontaneously appear on their map. When this happens, their phone will vibrate and then the player has to stop walking to catch it by playing a little game on their screen. People are not holding their phones up and running around "chasing" Pokemon. I don't think kids on the cruise are going to be any more likely to bump into you than they normally do. :)

Considering there are estimated to be about 15 million players, I would say the vast majority of them are using common sense, but of course you are always going to have a few people who do stupid things.

Regarding the original question, I doubt there will be any Pokestops or gyms on the ocean although I'm sure there will be several at the ports. Reports indicate that there are some Pokemon on the ocean, although not as many as on land. Also, I think the internet connectivity at sea would be too poor for the game.

Thank you for providing a first hand account of how this game works. I read this thread with earnest due to all the news reports about people getting hurt while playing the game and quickly realized quite a few posters had never seen or interacted with the game, so were passing on info from other sources. Being a curious person, I had my son help me download the app and show me how Pokemon Go works, which apparently is very different than how its been portrayed in some of the media reports.

Thank you for providing a first hand account of how this game works. I read this thread with earnest due to all the news reports about people getting hurt while playing the game and quickly realized quite a few posters had never seen or interacted with the game, so were passing on info from other sources. Being a curious person, I had my son help me download the app and show me how Pokemon Go works, which apparently is very different than how its been portrayed in some of the media reports.

Yep, that's my experience too. I work with a lot of 20-somethings (I'm the oldest one in the office) and so I installed it. I'm not a game player but the idea that you are "focused on your phone" and "not enjoying the scenery" is just not true. You are focused on what's around you because that's where the Pokemon are. When your phone notifies you are near one, you look at your phone and the camera shows the live scene around you with the Pokemon character overlaid onto the live image. You have to hold still ... at least I do ... to flick Pokeballs at the thing to kill it (or capture it, maybe).

I mentioned that we don't have news reports about bicycle accidents, which far exceed Pokemon accidents, and someone said they see local stories about bicycles in NYC. That's my point: I never see those same stories in CA. But some kid in Ohio trips over a tree root while playing Pokemon and it's national news.

Like Noro on cruise ships, the dangers are hugely overblown. We may as well go back to those "duck and cover" drills for nuclear attacks as issue dire warnings about the dangers of a phone game.

Yep, that's my experience too. I work with a lot of 20-somethings (I'm the oldest one in the office) and so I installed it. I'm not a game player but the idea that you are "focused on your phone" and "not enjoying the scenery" is just not true. You are focused on what's around you because that's where the Pokemon are. When your phone notifies you are near one, you look at your phone and the camera shows the live scene around you with the Pokemon character overlaid onto the live image. You have to hold still ... at least I do ... to flick Pokeballs at the thing to kill it (or capture it, maybe).

I mentioned that we don't have news reports about bicycle accidents, which far exceed Pokemon accidents, and someone said they see local stories about bicycles in NYC. That's my point: I never see those same stories in CA. But some kid in Ohio trips over a tree root while playing Pokemon and it's national news.

Like Noro on cruise ships, the dangers are hugely overblown. We may as well go back to those "duck and cover" drills for nuclear attacks as issue dire warnings about the dangers of a phone game.

Thanks for the description.

I know of a PhD candidate who is very excited by the game's potential to increase physical activity in its participants. The daily goal of 10,000 steps becomes a realistic goal propelled by the game's mixture of fun, competition and sociability.

She expects similar concepts can provide even greater benefits.

The New York Times has reported on this valuable benrfit, but that is not the kind of story that most of the media feel will generate traffic.

Perhaps eventually all age groups will find such game's to be beneficial for a broad spectrum of reasons.

This thread is hilarious.

Back in the 50s the PTA condemned Elvis and Rock&Roll as instigators of juvenile delinquency.

Now a Pokemon game in the minds of cruisers in the know is an American Health and Welfare crisis - and are going apoplectic at the thought of kids multitasking - enjoying scenery AND also playing a very fun game.

I was thinking the same thing!

Cripes!!! The poor OP comes to ask a simple question, & gets told how to cruise, what her grandkids should do on their cruise, why do people play mindless games, & why can't everyone just enjoy the same thing!:eek::eek:

Darn these kids of today anyway!!!:eek::eek:

I didn't know it was necessary to chase fantasy characters to walk around and enjoy the park. As I recall there was even interaction with real live people in the olden days. Yikes.

Actually, played correctly, it does encourage interaction :)

I've never seen our local parks so full of kids (& young adults) (& a few upper middle aged like me) sharing tips, sharing lures (taking turns setting a lure) it's actually quite fun. :)

That said, there's a time & a place for it, when I hike after work, it's off, I need to pay attention & not walk off a cliff. If I walk at night with my daughter or husband, it's off too so we can talk.

I like to believe that I am not the only one in the world with common sense.

Personally think playing on a cruise ship is not the best idea, but a little set time period, say 30 minutes off the ship each day... why not?

To the Nana who is cruising with her grandkids: have a wonderful time, & learn how to play the game... you & your grandkids can team up together & figure out how to catch em all :) Have a great time.

It seems you are the only one here that can't just discuss the subject without making insulting remarks. It's actually possible to have an opinion about something without this kind of rhetoric.

Some pretty inappropriate remarks have been removed from people that I would certainly consider hyperbole and insulting. And if the quote below isn't "rhetoric, I'll eat my pokeball.

The world is in turmoil, here in the U.S. the politics are boiling over and this is what people - lots of adults - think they should spend their time on, chasing fantasy characters around? No wonder the world is in such sorry state. :(

I wonder what this poster blamed World War I on? Or Pol Pot? Or all the sorry things in the world that happened BEFORE the invention of Pokemon Go?