Most important question of the summer - Pokemon

NanaChar

If done correctly, this is just a high tech scavenger hunt. It has been given a lot of bad press because of bad judgement and behavior. But it can be a good thing if done correctly. My kids are anxious to get out to the park to walk around with adult supervision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't know it was necessary to chase fantasy characters to walk around and enjoy the park. As I recall there was even interaction with real live people in the olden days. Yikes.

Rather catch fantasy characters than talk to strangers in a park or deal with cranky cruisers!

Lighten up, people - it's a game. My kids love it! And it's a lot more fun than our old school scrabble and monopoly.

Some places such as a cruise ship you have to draw the line. They had to issue statements at Arlington Cemetary and Auswitz this week not to play on site. A little common sense is in order.

Did you just draw a comparison to a cruise ship with Arlington and Auswitz? :rolleyes:

I am 54 next month, have never played Pokémon but honestly do not see what the aversion is. As previously referenced, much of the concern is way overblown with some of the horror stories being 1) completely fabricated or 2) social media attention seekers.

We took our tween-daughters on the Staten Island Ferry 10 years ago when vacationing in NY. They hated it and were more interested in shopping than seeing the Statue of Liberty. Kids just don't yet care about the stuff adults care about. If they did then they wouldn't say the best thing about a trip to Disney was swimming at the hotel pool.

Edited by xmarksx

Oh I agree 100% that it isn't funny or cute.

I've seen the screen caps that a warning pops up, but that doesn't do ANYTHING. Nor, sadly, would asking the person to click a button that they aren't in a dangerous location or in a place where it would be disrespectful or driving - but we all know people are going to click they are "safe" regardless. My sister lost one of her best friends a few years ago to a "professional" big rig driver who in spite of his contract with the company not to text and drive was texting. So I know well how devastating the selfish actions of others can affect people who are not at all involved - just trying to live their lives.

And MaBell made an excellent point about people up to no good placing lures around. I hadn't even thought of that aspect.

I've seen the argument about it getting agoraphobics out of their houses, allowing autistic people to be part of something, etc. But IMHO the dangers of this thing FAR outweigh the benefits.

I agree 100%...all of those things you mention are good...but I already read about someone murdered after being lured to a desolate spot. I fear for my Grandchildren...they're too old to have on a leash and to young to recognize an on-line predator. I miss the good old days when all my Mother worried about was me falling off the dock or my bike or getting hit by a car.

Did you just draw a comparison to a cruise ship with Arlington and Auswitz? :rolleyes:

I am 54 next month, have never played Pokémon but honestly do not see what the aversion is. As previously referenced, much of the concern is way overblown with some of the horror stories being 1) completely fabricated or 2) social media attention seekers.

We took our tween-daughters on the Staten Island Ferry 10 years ago when vacationing in NY. They hated it and were more interested in shopping than seeing the Statue of Liberty. Kids just don't yet care about the stuff adults care about. If they did then they wouldn't say the best thing about a trip to Disney was swimming at the hotel pool.

No one was comparing a cruise ship with Arlington and/or Auschwitz...what we're talking about is that both of these places have had people roaming around looking for Pokemon and this game is inappropriate in both places. And it's not all children playing with it...most of the people I see are young adults and adults old enough to know better.

It's hard to fabricate a twenty something lying in the street, phone in hand with his leg at a right angle to his hip! And then there was the police car that was hit by a driver looking for a pokemon...that's not an exaggeration...at least not to the cop anyway.

I agree about tweens and teens being bored with things that smack of history and culture that's what makes them children. It's up to the adults to civilize them and our first priority is to make sure they don't kill themselves or others in the process of growing up.

My nephew, who is in the demographic playing the most (30 - 40 year olds) sent me this meme.

It has struck a chord with young adults because they played the game as kids, and for the most part the contribution to society is positive. People are talking to each other in parks, malls, etc. as they get outdoors and walk their neighborhoods and meet other people.

I was once called to the elementary school because my 10 year old talked about being involved in a very dangerous and reckless activity. The news media was full of stories warning the parents about this activity, silently corrupting our children and leading to child abductions. She was ... posting on on-line forums.

Love the meme: Stephen King..."It"...really scary story. :D

If done correctly, this is just a high tech scavenger hunt. It has been given a lot of bad press because of bad judgement and behavior. But it can be a good thing if done correctly. My kids are anxious to get out to the park to walk around with adult supervision.

And of course you're absolutely right....but the key to your point is that your kids are anxious to play the game with adult supervision....too many kids are playing it without any supervision.

...As previously referenced, much of the concern is way overblown with some of the horror stories being 1) completely fabricated or 2) social media attention seekers.....

These stories are NOT fabricated - see links below - nor do they appear to be media attention seekers. Firefighters and lifeguards were required to rescue the men, who ended up in a trauma center. Similar problems are reported over and over.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/13/pokemon-go-encinitas-cliff-fall/

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Pokemon-Play-at-Balboa-Park-Damages-Rose-Garden-Visitors-387494841.html

No one was comparing a cruise ship with Arlington and/or Auschwitz...what we're talking about is that both of these places have had people roaming around looking for Pokemon and this game is inappropriate in both places. And it's not all children playing with it...most of the people I see are young adults and adults old enough to know better.

It's hard to fabricate a twenty something lying in the street, phone in hand with his leg at a right angle to his hip! And then there was the police car that was hit by a driver looking for a pokemon...that's not an exaggeration...at least not to the cop anyway.

I agree about tweens and teens being bored with things that smack of history and culture that's what makes them children. It's up to the adults to civilize them and our first priority is to make sure they don't kill themselves or others in the process of growing up.

I will wonder why Arlington/Auschwitz were even mentioned but accept the premise that some things are not appropriate for a cruise ship. A bit overblown because the game is not available, at least according to others, on the ship. Regarding the accident with the police car, I too saw the video. Absolutely no different than any idiot texting while driving or other injury caused by selfie sticks, cellphone talking...

Six months from now this will be the same as Angry Birds. I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

These stories are NOT fabricated - see links below - nor do they appear to be media attention seekers. Firefighters and lifeguards were required to rescue the men, who ended up in a trauma center. Similar problems are reported over and over.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/13/pokemon-go-encinitas-cliff-fall/

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Pokemon-Play-at-Balboa-Park-Damages-Rose-Garden-Visitors-387494841.html

Kartgv, some are fabricated and a quick check of Snopes will provide examples. As for the two guys falling from the bluff, at 1:00 AM??? Both] falling from a bluff that they admit they were trespassing to gain entry? Yes, I recognize they say they were playing Pokémon but.... might have they been doing something else at 1:00 AM?

Edited by xmarksx

Getting back to the question, there are no Pokémon on cruise ships to hunt. There are, however, a lot in the port areas.

The game is programmed to have Pokémon at specific GPS coordinates. There are no Pokémon drops in the middle of the ocean, which is where the ship is.

This is for my kids. How can you say such things about a nana trying to entertain her little angels[emoji22]?

It's Alaska for cryin out loud. Way better entertainment to be found than some cartoon character than can only be seen via an iPhone app. This is the prefect opportunity to teach the grandkids that there is more to life than technology

I have no problem with the idea of people playing a treasure hunt game (of sorts) if it can be played safely it gets kids out in the fresh air and away from the Xbox. I'm just surprised and in some cases shocked that the treasure hunt can take them to places where they have no business playing games (hospitals) or places where for a variety of reasons it is really insensitive to play games.

As for people injuring or killing themselves whilst playing the game, if they're older enough to know better then they're old enough to know better and maybe they're contributing to human evolution by opting out of the Gene pool.

It's Alaska for cryin out loud. Way better entertainment to be found than some cartoon character than can only be seen via an iPhone app. This is the prefect opportunity to teach the grandkids that there is more to life than technology

When I was a kid I found scenery "boring". If there wasn't a fun fare, amusement arcade etc etc I wasn't interested. I grew out of that, but it doesn't surprise me that kids aren't interested in scenery no matter how beautiful it is

Are there any Pokemon on Celebrity ships? I'm especially interested in Infinity Alaskan cruises.

Ignoring that issue of whether the game is stupid or whether people should be watching where they are walking or whether the kids on a cruise should be spending their time staring at the cell phones - I would guess that all the Pokeman sites are based on a fixed location for the site so that the program knows where to find them. Since the ship is moving, this would make it impossible to put sites on a moving ship.

I will add that I am not about waste my money taking the grandkids to a place like AK if they are going to spend the entire cruise inside at the kids club or outside looking at their cell phones. They can do that at home for free.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Kartgv, some are fabricated and a quick check of Snopes will provide examples. As for the two guys falling from the bluff, at 1:00 AM??? Both] falling from a bluff that they admit they were trespassing to gain entry? Yes, I recognize they say they were playing Pokémon but.... might have they been doing something else at 1:00 AM?

Read the article again - it was 1:00PM, early afternoon, not 1:00AM. Nowhere in the article does it say they were trespassing, though that has certainly come up in other cases. I'm sure there are examples of fabrication out there - some people will do anything to get attention - but there are many valid examples also.

Edited by Kartgv

I will wonder why Arlington/Auschwitz were even mentioned but accept the premise that some things are not appropriate for a cruise ship. A bit overblown because the game is not available, at least according to others, on the ship. Regarding the accident with the police car, I too saw the video. Absolutely no different than any idiot texting while driving or other injury caused by selfie sticks, cellphone talking...

Six months from now this will be the same as Angry Birds. I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

I brought it up to show just how inappropriate it is in some places, I could give many other examples. A cruise ship is one of them.

A lot of grumpy people in here, it seems.

You're really no more likely to "fall overboard" playing Pokémon GO than you are from doing anything else on a cruise ship.

If kids, or anyone, wants to use their vacation for this, then it's completely their prerogative.

To actually answer the question of the topic though:

No. It's really unlikely anyone will be finding Pokémon on a cruise ship, even if you have the internet package (which you'd need to even open the game). The game works on already planned out Geo Locations for cities and towns. Cruise ships exist outside of that, and won't register as actual locations for the game.

So, fear not. Your cruise will be safe. In towns, though, may be another story.

This is for my kids. How can you say such things about a nana trying to entertain her little angels[emoji22]?

If it isn't bad enough having kids playing Pokemon Go wondering around on sidewalks with their heads buried in their phones, oblivious to other pedestrians and traffic in the streets, now you want to turn them loose on board ship? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Curious if you realize you're going to pay several hundred dollars in data charges to keep them happily playing? From what I understand, WiFi or cell connection is required to play Pokemon Go.