Recipe for scones?

mrsgthatsme

Does anyone have a recipe for scones similar to those served at afternoon tea in Princess ships? We had never had a scone before our cruise and fell in love with the type served at tea. Thanks!

Cunard always did scones well. It's the Devonshire cream (or lack of it) that caused issues. They do the lemon curd fine, however. If you want a good recipe I'd suggest Google or Yahoo search. Do type in "English Scones" to get the proper recipe.

Hate to break it to you but Gut's a good cook.

Haven't got my scone recipe to hand.

My spouse is a CIA trained pastry chef & he makes scone quite frequently. His last batch used cherries that we picked fairly recently.

Hate to break it to you but Gut's a good cook.

Haven't got my scone recipe to hand.

Being a good cook and being able to make good scones are two different things. ;)

I know a lot of very good cooks that just don't have a light hand for baking.

This is the recipe for the English-type scones served on Princess, but if you follow my suggestions, yours will be better. :D

2 cups of self-raising flour (if that is not available use plain flour and baking powder to achieve the same result)

1 dessertspoon butter or margarine

1 cup milk (sour milk is best. If you don't have that use a few drops of lemon juice to sour your milk)

pinch of salt

Sift flour and salt then mix with butter in a food processor or mixer. Add milk and mix by hand, taking care to handle the dough very gently. Too much handling will toughen the dough. I think this is what happens on the ship where the dough has to be mixed by machine because of the quantity they make.

Place dough on a floured board and gently roll into a 'log' shape and cut off pieces. Place on greased tray and brush with milk. Bake in a hot oven (350 degrees F) for 20 minutes until golden on top.

The scones are particularly yummy when they are straight out of the oven. If you have any left the next day, warm them in a microwave before serving.

My wife it trying to make them right now. She loves them.

Thank you,

Tony

Try a Mary Berry recipe - they can be found on the Internet.

The scones on Cunard are nice but not like real scones - though they are probably the best on the high seas. Princess ones tend to be too flat and crispy, although they were better on Regal in January than anything we'd had before.

Sadly nobody serves proper cream like we enjoy here in the UK.

But I'm not grumbling as the Cunard tea is a great experience, and having afternoon tea delivered to our stateroom on a Princess ship takes some beating.

When I learnt to make scones the butter was rubbed into the flour and salt, using the fingertips until it resembled breadcrumbs, then the milk was quickly mixed in with a knife. It's a bit of extra work but my scones always come out light, and rubbing the butter into the flour is an oddly satisfying technique.

Agreed. That is how I learnt to make scones. Rubbing the butter in using only the fingertips prevents the warmth of the palms of the hands from melting the butter. However, I have found that using a food processor is easier, quicker and I don't get my hands dirty. :)

Agreed. That is how I learnt to make scones. Rubbing the butter in using only the fingertips prevents the warmth of the palms of the hands from melting the butter. However, I have found that using a food processor is easier, quicker and I don't get my hands dirty. :)

Do you find your scones come out the same using a food processor? Still as light?

I'm a bit jealous of you folks who grew up with scones. In the US they just weren't a "thing". Of course I am also aghast at some of the other stuff you folks from the UK eat. :D

Being a good cook and being able to make good scones are two different things. ;)

I know a lot of very good cooks that just don't have a light hand for baking.

Yep, I am one of those. Try as I may, I am unable to replicate my father's Irish soda bread. My wife does such a better job with the scones, breads and baking in general. With my heavy hand, a rolling scone gathers no moss.

Do you find your scones come out the same using a food processor? Still as light?

Absolutely because I only use the food processor for the 'rubbing the butter into the flour' part of the operation. Obviously, when you add the milk this has to be done by putting the flour/butter mixture in a bowl then working with a 'light hand' - only the minimum amount of mixing to make sure there is no flour left unmixed.