Finding laundromats o a long cruise! Spain, France, Germany

Cybele49

I will be at sea 28 days from St. Maarten to Lisbon, Rostock and Bergen and all ports in between, on Pullmanur Monarch.

I need to plan to go ashore to do laundry in, perhaps, Vigo Spain or Funchal, Portugal, and Cherbourg, France or Amsterdam.

I know that this is a long shot, but any suggestions where to find a laundromat will help.

I am not paying shipboard prices for laundry! :eek:

I will, of course, do hand laundry of small items while on board. :)

Best place is to go out to google and find the local laundremats and than map them to see which is most convenient. Finding them in some European cities is not an easy task as they can be few and far from where you will dock.

Really? You go all that way, spend all that $$ and want to waste your time in port at a lauderette?

Bite the bullet and add ships laundry as a cost of the cruise.

Otherwise use google maps search for laundry near port

I will be at sea 28 days from St. Maarten to Lisbon, Rostock and Bergen and all ports in between, on Pullmanur Monarch.

I need to plan to go ashore to do laundry in, perhaps, Vigo Spain or Funchal, Portugal, and Cherbourg, France or Amsterdam.

I know that this is a long shot, but any suggestions where to find a laundromat will help.

Why not also pack blouses/shirts that you can hand wash and drip dry? That's what we did on our river cruise. We were gone for 30 days, and sent our pants (trousers) to the ship's laundry twice during that time. Other than that, I was washing shirts, underwear, socks each evening, hanging them to dry overnight. Didn't take long - maybe 10 minutes.

Many items can be worn more than once. Febreeze is your friend. ;)

Can sink wash many things besides underwear. Spot clean if necessary Use blowup hangars or balloons for drying shirts. If things are 'hand pressed' while wet, they'll have minimal wrinkles.

The term 'penny wise and pound (£) foolish comes to mind. Our experience is in Rome. Basic wash and press in the Travestere area was €5 per shirt. There was one laundrymat that ran about the same per load. Around the corner from DD is a guy who'll wash and dry, about €15 per load, next day return if not in by 9. Even then same day is not guaranteed. Same day back is after 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Rick Steves has an article about doing laundry in Europe.

Not OP, but I thank you for the interesting reading. :)

Many items can be worn more than once. Febreeze is your friend. ;)

Actually, I would respectfully ask that people not douse their clothing in Febreeze - in my eyes (and my nose! LOL) it is the same thing as wearing too much perfume, or having really bad BO, or smelling like cigarette smoke. It can really be offensive, yes, even with the "nice" scent. Just a little gentle heads up, and those with sensitive noses thank you. :D

A new definition of "pennywise and pound foolish."

Not OP, but I thank you for the interesting reading. :)

Actually, I would respectfully ask that people not douse their clothing in Febreeze - in my eyes (and my nose! LOL) it is the same thing as wearing too much perfume, or having really bad BO, or smelling like cigarette smoke. It can really be offensive, yes, even with the "nice" scent. Just a little gentle heads up, and those with sensitive noses thank you. :D

When it's done correctly, there's no scent.

Febreeze is basically diluted fabric softener. Diluted vodka will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would think when you factor in the hassle of carrying off and on laundry, the taxi cost to and from the laundromat, as they are usually in dense lower income housing areas, and not next to ports, it would somewhat level out the price of the ships laundry. Then if you add in the the loss of port time, trying to get a taxi back to the ship, rogue taxi drivers, charges for bags which could be considered luggage.....

I would just get it done aboard.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Really? You go all that way, spend all that $$ and want to waste your time in port at a lauderette?

Bite the bullet and add ships laundry as a cost of the cruise.

Exactly!

OP - have you checked with your cruise line to see if they have a package deal? The cruise lines I have been on have all offered a bag of washing, drying and pressing (which you won't get if you go to a launderette) for a set price. Much quicker, easier, and more than likely cheaper than lugging your stuff some where in port.

I would imagine there is a laundry special at some point where you fill something with your clothes for a set price. In your case, you could ask either a staff member, your steward, or another guest. Someone will likely know.

When it's done correctly, there's no scent....

I have some in my laundry room (someone else in the family purchased it) and I find its scent is quite strong...?....

Anyway, it's OK, nevermind. I don't have a dog in this fight - I was merely offering my opinion. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I have some in my laundry room (someone else in the family purchased it) and I find its scent is quite strong...?....

Anyway, it's OK, nevermind. I don't have a dog in this fight - I was merely offering my opinion. :)

Should have said....'no lingering scent'

If sprayed within 5 minutes, yeah the scent can be strong but it dissipates quicker than other scents. Obviously our 'mileages' do vary. :) We spray at night.

Edited by SadieN

I follow Rick Steves' advice. I do most of our laundry in the sink and use the ship's service for things like jeans and essential clothes that should not be washed in the sink. We have "cruise clothes" in a separate closet and they aren't used for our daily wearing.

Should have said....'no lingering scent'

If sprayed within 5 minutes, yeah the scent can be strong but it dissipates quicker than other scents. Obviously our 'mileages' do vary. :) We spray at night.

If something needs Febreze it needs to be washed.;)

I agree that luging the laundry off ship and around town etc is a hassle and we should be able to afford the ship prices - I've also seen folks who say if you send out for the ship to do it, be very careful what you give them. Stuff comes back hard and wrinkly. Some said they only have the ship do underware and jeans because of this - nothing nice that you really care about. What have you all found?

I follow Rick Steves' advice. I do most of our laundry in the sink and use the ship's service for things like jeans and essential clothes that should not be washed in the sink. We have "cruise clothes" in a separate closet and they aren't used for our daily wearing.

Lose the jeans and get convertible climbing pants at REI or similar outdoor store- much lighter, quick drying, etc.

Sorry I find this statement laughable. My guess is you live in some outer suburb or small town and have never lived in a major city. I can assure you that when I lived in my Chelsea, area of New York City, it was not "low income" by any stretch of the imagination! Launderettes are bountiful in plenty of high rent places as many times they are in older parts of historic areas that don't have the right plumbing to accommodate washing facilities in every private dwelling. I actually quite enjoyed it that way as I would drop my laundry off and for a per pound price someone would wash and fold my laundry!

Dear OP,

Here is a laundromat that is 10 minutes from the Port of Vigo by taxi:

http://www.washupvigo.es

Wash-Up Vigo

Rua Teixugueiras 27 36212 Vigo Pontevedra

You can look on Google map to see the directions from the port to the laundromat.

As to visiting the port, things are close in to the port and you can walk around town and try the fresh mussels and also go into the various wine bars and have tapas and wine. Since this is not something you need to arrange in advance, you should have time to do your laundry on the morning of your arrival and then go to the seafood and wine bars in the afternoon and still have a lovely day in Vigo.

Sorry I find this statement laughable. My guess is you live in some outer suburb or small town and have never lived in a major city. I can assure you that when I lived in my Chelsea, area of New York City, it was not "low income" by any stretch of the imagination! Launderettes are bountiful in plenty of high rent places as many times they are in older parts of historic areas that don't have the right plumbing to accommodate washing facilities in every private dwelling. I actually quite enjoyed it that way as I would drop my laundry off and for a per pound price someone would wash and fold my laundry!

We're not talking about a metropolitan area with which someone is familiar - but a distant port which someone has travelled thousands of miles to see - in just a few hours of port time.