Voltage converter for Kindle?

DRS/NC

Do I need a voltage converter to charge my Kindle?

After all night flights& reading (wish I could sleep!), I'll need to recharge my Kindle paper white when I get to the hotel for a day or 2 prior to the cruise.

I will need to do this on 2 cruises, 1 from London/Southampton & 1 from Santiago, Chile.

If needed, what kind of converter for the Kindle & my curling iron? On the ship -- no problem, but on land -- no idea!

Thanks!

Do I need a voltage converter to charge my Kindle?

After all night flights& reading (wish I could sleep!), I'll need to recharge my Kindle paper white when I get to the hotel for a day or 2 prior to the cruise.

I will need to do this on 2 cruises, 1 from London/Southampton & 1 from Santiago, Chile.

If needed, what kind of converter for the Kindle & my curling iron? On the ship -- no problem, but on land -- no idea!

Thanks!

Any modern electronics nowadays only need an adapter plug, not a converter. That is for the Kindle. For the curling iron - well, I don't use them, but I'm thinking that, like blow dryers, they are not dual voltage. I'll let others answer. But, if the voltage numbers on the cord do not say "110V - 240V", then it is dual voltage. BUT, if it has one of the other (depending on US or EU), it is not. You may want to consider purchasing a dual-voltage curling iron...

If you want to comfort yourself, look for those same numbers on your Kindle plug...

Any modern electronics nowadays only need an adapter plug, not a converter. That is for the Kindle. For the curling iron - well, I don't use them, but I'm thinking that, like blow dryers, they are not dual voltage. I'll let others answer. But, if the voltage numbers on the cord do not say "110V - 240V", then it is dual voltage. BUT, if it has one of the other (depending on US or EU), it is not. You may want to consider purchasing a dual-voltage curling iron...

If you want to comfort yourself, look for those same numbers on your Kindle plug...

You're correct about hair appliances, they may not be dual votlage. My wife had a hair straightener that was 110V only. We found a similar model that was 110-240V, and only need an adapter plug to use it in Europe. Another advantage is that she can use it in the Euro receptacle on the cruise ship, freeing up one of the US receptacles for other uses.

Thanks, folks!

With help of a magnifying glass, I found the tiny numbers on the Kindle charger.

My hair might just have to wait until I get to the ship unless I have time to hit a beauty supply store soon.

Thanks, folks!

With help of a magnifying glass, I found the tiny numbers on the Kindle charger.

My hair might just have to wait until I get to the ship unless I have time to hit a beauty supply store soon.

Since you will need plug adapters as well, even for the Kindle, one for the UK and one for Chile (same as the European round pin on the ship), and both are 240v, you might want to get a voltage converter, which usually have a set of adapter plugs as well. You just need to make sure the voltage converter has the same or more wattage as your hair dryer, as there are some with low wattage for electronics, and some with high wattage for hair care, etc.

Edited by chengkp75

We always travel with universal adapters similar to this one. These devices are NOT voltage converters, so your devices must be compatible with input current and voltage from the "wall". Most (not all) modern electronic devices are compatible. This includes the power "bricks" and USB charging devices.

It is 100% your responsibility to actually read the voltage rating of anything you plug into a power source.

Also note that many extension cords are not rated to handle voltage higher than 130v. Serious risk of overheating and fire can result.

We always travel with universal adapters similar to this one. These devices are NOT voltage converters, so your devices must be compatible with input current and voltage from the "wall". Most (not all) modern electronic devices are compatible. This includes the power "bricks" and USB charging devices.

It is 100% your responsibility to actually read the voltage rating of anything you plug into a power source.

Also note that many extension cords are not rated to handle voltage higher than 130v. Serious risk of overheating and fire can result.

I'll disagree with the last statement, since if you double the voltage for the same wattage, you halve the current, and current, not voltage is what creates heat in an electrical conductor. And generally, the insulation material and thickness is the same for 120v and 240v when you are dealing with low amperages like 10-15 amps.

Edited by chengkp75

Actually, when it shows the range of 110 to 240, that IS "dual voltage". It's when you only get "110-130" or "220-240" that you have single voltage. I think you just got your "not" mixed up.

The thing to remember....if your power is "120" (which includes the small up/down variants), you can't use a "220" device without a voltage converter. Same with "220", you can't use a "120" with converter. However, if your device specifies a wide range of input voltages, you can use it anywhere that falls in that range (which is pretty much the whole world - there may be an exception here and there).

More info on what power is where can be found HERE.

Finally, be careful if you go the voltage converter route. You MUST be certain that the converter can handle the load imposed by your device. Any device designed to generate heat will draw a much heavier load than something charging device batteries. Check the watt rating of the converter with the watt rating of the device and have some surplus built into the converter. If wattage is not specified, use the equation "watts equals volts times amps".

You might consider getting one or more 'power banks" ....portable rechargers to take with you. I have a couple of them and use them to charge devices when there's no place to plug devices in to recharge the battery. I make sure they are fully 'loaded" before leaving home, and have used them during long flights when the battery is getting low on my Kindle or iTouch. That way I don't lose the ability to read or listen to my preferred music.

Actually, when it shows the range of 110 to 240, that IS "dual voltage". It's when you only get "110-130" or "220-240" that you have single voltage. I think you just got your "not" mixed up.

The thing to remember....if your power is "120" (which includes the small up/down variants), you can't use a "220" device without a voltage converter. Same with "220", you can't use a "120" with converter. However, if your device specifies a wide range of input voltages, you can use it anywhere that falls in that range (which is pretty much the whole world - there may be an exception here and there).

More info on what power is where can be found HERE.

Finally, be careful if you go the voltage converter route. You MUST be certain that the converter can handle the load imposed by your device. Any device designed to generate heat will draw a much heavier load than something charging device batteries. Check the watt rating of the converter with the watt rating of the device and have some surplus built into the converter. If wattage is not specified, use the equation "watts equals volts times amps".

Wow. Did I do a big typo there. Thanks for finding that. I need to stop surfing the 'net at 1 in the morning... I did mean it needed to say 110-240...

Our older Kindle is not dual voltage. Breakout the magnifying glass.

Absolutely! Using a smart phone camera to zoom in on the detailed print helps :)

If it is the case that it is only for one voltage range, a new charger (should be multi-voltage!) may be a cheap solution?

ex techie

Our older Kindle is not dual voltage. Breakout the magnifying glass.

It's not the Kindle, it is the power supply that is the factor. If your Kindle can be charged by a micro-USB, then you should be in good shape as almost all AC to USB chargers handle 100-240v.

But, since you don't specify what Kindle you are talking about, all this is conjecture at best.

You might consider getting one or more 'power banks" ....portable rechargers to take with you. I have a couple of them and use them to charge devices when there's no place to plug devices in to recharge the battery. I make sure they are fully 'loaded" before leaving home, and have used them during long flights when the battery is getting low on my Kindle or iTouch. That way I don't lose the ability to read or listen to my preferred music.

I forgot to mention that once on the ship, I can recharge them using the 110 outlets there. That way I can avoid having to mess with plug adaptors and/or a converter.

It's not the Kindle, it is the power supply that is the factor. If your Kindle can be charged by a micro-USB, then you should be in good shape as almost all AC to USB chargers handle 100-240v.

But, since you don't specify what Kindle you are talking about, all this is conjecture at best.

The OP stated it was a PaperWhite Kindle which charges using a USB cable.

As long as the OP has a USB-mains adaptor with international plugs there won't be any difficulty charging the Kindle anywhere. I've been travelling all over the world with Kindles for over six years now and have never had a problem charging them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The OP stated it was a PaperWhite Kindle which charges using a USB cable.
Since I still read old-fashioned paper books, the phrase "PaperWhite Kindle" means nothing. I reread that post and it said nothing about USB or, more accurately, micro-USB (if you want to be technical).

Since I still read old-fashioned paper books, the phrase "PaperWhite Kindle" means nothing. I reread that post and it said nothing about USB or, more accurately, micro-USB (if you want to be technical).

PaperWhite is one of the more recent models of Kindle. You stated that the OP did not specify which Kindle they had, I merely pointed out that they did in fact specify the model.

All models of e-ink Kindle, at least from the Kindle 2 onwards which was the first model I had, are charged using micro-USB cables.

Kindles have made travel much easier for me. Now I only have to carry one device which usually has a few hundred books on it. Pre-Kindle travel was a nightmare since I'm a speed reader who reads in every spare moment. I used to lug a suitcase full of books with me on trips.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ