Haven't seen this asked in a while

MikeNJ1109

Mornin', fellow CC'ers,

My wife and I were wondering ... we have cruised about 10 times overall, mostly with RCL but a couple of times as well with NCL. While we love cruising, we've become -- what's the right adjective? -- "bored" cruising the Caribbean, as the ports visited ("the usual suspects") feel like "same old, same old". We're at a point now, where other than St Maartin, Aruba, and Grand Cayman, we just don't get off the ship on Port Days.

If only getting to another location, (Europe, Vancouver (for Alaska) or California (for either Mexico or Hawaii)) weren't such a logistical hassle and expense, we would love to try something new.

We were wondering, therefore:

* All things being equal, what would be your PERFECT cruise itinerary?

* If the Caribbean were the only realistic option for cruising, what itinerary could we suggest to management so they can start "mixing things up" a bit?

For Perfect itinerary, my wife and I would love to do a Westbound TA from Southampton, with stops at the Azores, St Kitts and those great days at Sea -- and since we'd be going westbound, each day has an extra hour due to the time zone change.

For more interesting in the Caribbean -- St Kitts, Dominica, St. Lucia and the T&C islands.

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

Mornin', fellow CC'ers,

My wife and I were wondering ... we have cruised about 10 times overall, mostly with RCL but a couple of times as well with NCL. While we love cruising, we've become -- what's the right adjective? -- "bored" cruising the Caribbean, as the ports visited ("the usual suspects") feel like "same old, same old". We're at a point now, where other than St Maartin, Aruba, and Grand Cayman, we just don't get off the ship on Port Days.

If only getting to another location, (Europe, Vancouver (for Alaska) or California (for either Mexico or Hawaii)) weren't such a logistical hassle and expense, we would love to try something new.

* If the Caribbean were the only realistic option for cruising, what itinerary could we suggest to management so they can start "mixing things up" a bit?

For Perfect itinerary, my wife and I would love to do a Westbound TA from Southampton, with stops at the Azores, St Kitts and those great days at Sea -- and since we'd be going westbound, each day has an extra hour due to the time zone change.

For more interesting in the Caribbean -- St Kitts, Dominica, St. Lucia and the T&C islands.

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

Choosing AirtoSea flights to cruise from Southhampton will save you $$. We've been on several transatlantics. Some have a couple of Caribbean stops, some have Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal, Gibraltar, etc. I'm hoping my next TA includes stops in Iceland. :) Love all those sea days!

We have enjoyed all our cruise itineraries, but do go to the Caribbean more often. We enjoy beaches, and usually go to them whichever Caribbean itinerary we chose.

We really enjoyed our Mediterranean cruises and all the wonderful sites we have seen abroad!

I don't think RCI management will listen to what itineraries anyone wants....they go for what's feasible to the company.

We are the same way with the pacific coast Mexico cruises. Close enough to drive to the port, but how many times can you go to Cabo-Wabo? :confused:

We have just bitten the bullet and paid the high air fare to get to other ports. When you love to cruise you have to grin and bear it... Cruise On!!! :cool:

Was looking at a Panama Canal cruise ... for the first time ... but have no interest in going back to any of the Mexican ports of call such as Puerto Vallarta or Cabo on the Pacific Coast ... and would definitely choose an Eastern over a Western Caribbean itinerary (which we can say now we did once) anytime.

So we "mix" things up now by going on other lines and other ships ... as that in itself now is just as important or more so than the destinations we've been to before ... :)

I haven't gotten to the bored with cruising point but I would really like to see more Eastern itineraries out of FL instead of San Juan.

I've noticed also that Eastern has been marginally more expensive than Western, which is a little frustrating. I really want to try Eastern but the dates are so limited...some ships even cruise exclusively Western.

I think Western is more common because it appeals to first time cruisers...the name recognition of Jamaica and Mexico.

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

Is there some rule that vacations must be a cruise?

If you are bored with cruising try a land based vacation.

Airfare to Europe has been pretty cheap lately.

We cruise to cruise - don't really care about the ports in Caribbean and no way would I cruise Europe - not nearly enough time in each place for me.

We cruise to relax & chill - we travel to Europe to enjoy the food, wine, sights and the culture.

Mornin', fellow CC'ers,

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

We've done Eastern and Western Caribbean.

I wish they'd rotate some of the San Juan itinerary's into Florida ports, paying for 2 kids under 5 to cruise eats the budget, adding 4 flights to San Juan just not going to happen.

Would love to go to St. Kitts, St. Lucia etc etc.

It also seems like every itinerary has at least one port I have no interest in. But that's unavoidable. Those are probably the ports other people are specifically interested in.

HAL's Canada, NE cruises are outstanding. We live in Boston but did it b-to-b , Boston to Mongtreal to Bon year afver year and neccer got bred,a as you put it.rd. We wwsailed Caireibbeen at least 85+ CruiIses.

It is easy enough for you to get to Boston for embarkation.

Edited by sail7seas

We've done Eastern and Western Caribbean.

I wish they'd rotate some of the San Juan itinerary's into Florida ports, paying for 2 kids under 5 to cruise eats the budget, adding 4 flights to San Juan just not going to happen.

Would love to go to St. Kitts, St. Lucia etc etc.

It also seems like every itinerary has at least one port I have no interest in. But that's unavoidable. Those are probably the ports other people are specifically interested in.

I agree with the San Juan itineraries from FL. Even though the cruise will be longer it is still cheaper than paying for airfare to San Juan.

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

Cunard have a couple leaving in the fall sailing from Southampton to NYC via the Caribbean sorry no Azores but lots of sea days

nothing is perfect ;)

Many pax will do B2B or even B2B2B cruises if they have the time. Last Carnival cruise many did 15 day HI with 13 day Mexican Riviera. Our next Princess cruise pax are doing 10 day MR with a short coastal.

Our one Caribbean cruise was a B2B Western/Eastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To the OP

Dude, you're an hour drive from this itinerary. NCL Breakaway.

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK New York; San Juan (Puerto Rico); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Tortola (British Virgin Islands); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); Roseau (Dominica); Bridgetown (Barbados); Fort-de-France (Martinique); Basseterre (St. Kitts); DISEMBARK New York

A couple port stops in Cuba would be worthwhile additions. Now that things are loosening up once the infrastructure is up to speed it could be a win-win for their economy and for bored cruisers. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sequim88

A couple port stops in Cuba would be worthwhile additions. Now that things are loosening up once the infrastructure is up to speed it could be a win-win for their economy and for bored cruisers. :rolleyes:

Even with the opening of Cuba, we still can't do it as "just a tourist" without a visa.

My "perfect" vacation is HOT weather, pretty surroundings, and good food/drink! I don't really care about the "history" of a destination..so I could do the Caribbean or S. Pacific over and over....or VEGAS! Love that place! Great rooms...fantastic food....good odds on gambling....my ideal vacation doesn't have to be a cruise!

I fell the same way. I now go mainly for the ship; For me the ship is the destination.

I think looking at maiden voyages on brand new ships would be fun and theme cruises with celebrity speakers could be interesting.

My most fun cruise was a TA from Ft Lauderdale to Rome on Celebrity/ Reflection in April 2014. Cruise staff was the best and the people were their to have fun. The price was only $750.00 a person for a balcony. Good prices on Trans Atlantic crossings. 16 Days.

I would like to take a flight to France and see Paris for a couple of days then take the high speed train to Barcelona or South Hampton and take a NEW ship maiden voyage to Miami.

MSC Cruise Lines has a new ship sailing in Nov 2017 that looks interesting.

Mornin', fellow CC'ers,

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

Actually, the same question was asked within the past two weeks.

That said, an ideal itinerary for someone bored with the Caribbean (easily understandable) would be about 5-6 weeks - Sydney to SF with stops elsewhere in Australia then on to New Zealand, Fiji, Polynesia, Hawaii and finally up the California coast to SF.

Msc has a few cruises out of Martinique, Guadeloupe, and hit up a few smaller lesser visted ports I'm looking at prices for Dec 2016 under 700pp w/kids under 12 free for an interior. Airfare might be a "pita" but might break even if the cruise price is right.

My two cents :)

Mornin', fellow CC'ers,

Thoughts everyone,

Michael

If I lived in Manalapan I would never leave . I love going there to visit relatives.

Having said that I have cruised to the same islands in the Caribbean 10+ times and never tire of seeing the same sights .I love being in a hot climate in the winter.

When it is freezing cold and snowing in NY I am in a tee shirt and shorts on an island ,nothing beats that.

Lenny

44 to the Caribbean so far, 3 more booked. Never bored as I get to share the time with my sweetie. As for the ports, we might get off just to stretch our legs a bit, otherwise we enjoy a nice quiet ship.

We are not into crowd vacations jammed together on excursions. Just not for us.

Edited by cruzincurt

It just depends on how much time you have.

You live in New jersey so it isn't a terrible distance to travel to Brooklyn and take Queen Mary 2 out of Red Hook. That's 7 days of no hassle on an ocean liner, and you are in Southampton.

From Southampton you have a multitude of choices. :)

Being you near Bayonne and New York we did the Canada cruise and loved it, especially being from the south was great change for us. Loved Bar Harbor also.

The one cruise we did that is really NOT about the Ship is the Pride of America that circles Hawaii. Was really about the stops on each island. Ship was fine but the time off ship was amazing at each stop. Of course the one draw back is the cost of the flight to get there but I had air miles so we were able to avoid that.